Menu

Are You A Curriculum Junkie?

sweetbaby

Wow!

Well now I know... I am most definitely not a curriculum junkie!

I felt like I was b/c I bought SL and didn't do it then bought other things to make my own. We have switched math programs. I switched character programs, and added FIAR.

The main thing that makes me feel like a junkie is that I will think I am done buying for the year and then I spend about $30 a month on supplements. (addition made easy, AAS tiles, FIAR, books to use b/c I am following DDs interest in Native Americans, an ant farm...) but I don't come close to that description. And I don't buy more than one program for the same thing. (ie SL core 3 and WP AS 1) You are hard pressed to get me to buy one!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'm not as bad as that article, but I'm pretty bad.:001_huh:

Here are some of my curriculums-

Phonics:

PP's

HOP

Victory Drill Book

Reading Reflex

SL K

ETC

100EZ

Ack!!!

1st Grade and/or History curriculums:

SL

MFW

SOTW

R&S

Ancient History Portfolio JR

K Math:

Singapore

RightStart

Saxon

And I am always hunting for new curriculums! There is so much more I want!

Well...I am only at the very beginning of this journey, and I'm already pretty bad. I have to admit that when we were looking at houses recently, we put the offer in on the one that had a library. :D

Thanks for sharing that, cute!

I had 20 phonics books and 2 Latin books before I had children!

(I do routinely use many of the phonics books with my remedial students, and have used at least 5 of them with my daughter already.)

So, I was a curriculum junkie before I was a mom, let alone a homeschooling mom.

(I tried to teach myself Latin, but never got past the initial stages. Homeschooling will force me to finish!)

BTW, when I started homeschooling, I got a beginning Latin book for future use, then I found a Latin book on sale for $1, so now I have 4 Latin books. Who could pass up a Latin book for $1?

My computer wouldn't let me read the article, so I don't know how I compare. My Safari browser is having issues with certain websites.

Yes, I am a curriculum junkie! Not as bad as that list, but I don't think anyone could be as bad as that list. I have actually used most of what I've bought at least enough to know if it works for us or not. The things I haven't used are for higher levels. For example, when I figured out how to put together a SL core for less than $150, I went ahead and bought the books and IGs through Core 4. Ditto WP American Story, Animal Worlds and Children around the World. On the plus side, I have a great home library any time a topic pops up and we will eventually do these programs over the next few years. I have spent a lot less this year and I'm a lot less tempted by new programs, so I'm making progress.

I am definitely a curriculum junkie. Not quite as bad as that list, but pretty bad.

p.s. Does Amazon Prime really deny people? I am too cheap to sign up I still do the $25 free shipping.

Not that I know of. And if they did, I think I'd be one of the first few people to be denied. We, uh, get our money's worth with the Prime account. :lol:

That is hilarious!!:lol::lol: I love the one about coming home from the hs convention w/ the perfect curriculum and realizing you already own it!:lol: And planning your family vacations around all of the hs conventions. I want to share it w/ dh, but don't think he'll appreciate it as much as I do. Except the part about tables overflowing with books, and taking bags of books to the dr. & dentist-it's me.

I love the prime membership. All that free 2 day shipping. The UPS guy asked me the other day if this was going to be a normal daily thing. I decided that it was time to stop ordering for a while. But it is so nice not to have to worry about shipping charges and just order 1 book or 10.

I can relate to a couple of those. One to add, you know you are a curriculum junkie when the postal delivery person knows what grade your kids are in, what they are studying and what your favorite homeschool store is because she brings you so many orders of books. :) I have managed to pretty much have the same parcel delivery person for the 3 years we have been hsing, and yes I order so many she knows this information.

I am sooooo guilty of this!:lol:

When we move for the military I must leave some of my books or we will go over our weight limit...

I visit the homeschool consignment shop to de-compress at least twice a week. Finding a great bargin is almost addicting for me.

I finally realized that I love Sonlight because I can pick up a new book each week. I learned finally that I will not continue with any one particular book for an entire school year. I can own a million texts for references, but they always fall by the wayside after a month.

I got rid of Amazon Prime because they ship faster by the $25 free shipping through USPS.

I buy a new bookshelf at least 5 times a year...

and on, and on, and on......

The main thing that makes me feel like a junkie is that I will think I am done buying for the year and then I spend about $30 a month on supplements.

I've done that! There's been things that I have seen later on down the road and think, "Hey, I need that!" :D I didn't even incorporate it then but I would find a use for it later.

So I guess I'm a borderline junkie. LOL!

:lol: I like the one about planning family vacations. Just yesterday I told dh, if we're missing the Fla convention this year (because we want to visit family in Aruba), we could combine visiting North Carolina (I really want to see the mountains there) with the NC Homeschool Convention! :lol:

:lol: I like the one about planning family vacations. Just yesterday I told dh, if we're missing the Fla convention this year (because we want to visit family in Aruba), we could combine visiting North Carolina (I really want to see the mountains there) with the NC Homeschool Convention! :lol:

:smilielol5:

My husband is getting ready to build me some floor to ceiling bookshelves...I was hoping it would be nice for resell - looks like it should be :D That picture in the blog post with the sagging bookshelves is driving me nuts tho - if there were dividers it wouldn't sag! LOL.

and oh my.......I've never heard of LibrayThing or Shelfari - those look awesome!

Nope, not a curriculum junkie. If I could afford it, I might be. :D

I visit the homeschool consignment shop to de-compress at least twice a week. Finding a great bargin is almost addicting for me.

Now this makes me so jealous. You have a homeschool consignment shop near you? I've never even heard of such a thing, but it sounds heavenly!!