Menu

We are starting a farmer's market!

My friend found a space for us off of 290 across the street from Zube Park.

She will sell Robeez, breast pumps, maternity clothes and slings. We will sell Goats milk soap and bath bombs. Another family will sell pasteurized goats milk, yogurt and cheese as well as candles.

We will be open on Fridays and Saturdays starting the middle of February. as soon as we see a profit, we will be adding a mother's day out once a week.

If a new market was opening in your neighborhood, what foods or items would you like to see offered?

Our local farmer's market seems to have more stuff than produce! I would like to see local agricultural items, not necessarily crafts.

Jane

:iagree: When farmer's markets turn into "flea-markets" with food they seem to fail. I know I get turned off when markets go this direction.

But a real farmers market with fresh produce (hopefully organic or no spray), and animal products such as eggs, milk, honey, cheese and meat (especially grass-fed beef and lamb) is a treasured resource.

Its wonderful to support and get to know local growers, and eat well at the same time.

Good luck!

Bill

That is great information.

I don't want to share the organic produce we grow. At this point, we only have enough to feed our family, but I can talk to some other growers.

There will be yard eggs there. I'm still looking for grass fed beef producers. The only one I know of is 2 hours away.

My 12 year old wants to try a pastures poultry project. I might have him see who will pre-order birds before we order chicks, so I won't get stuck keeping them all.

When I was a child, I dreamed of selling homemade strawberry jam and pom-pom animals at a farmer's market when I grew up. I don't think there's much of a market for pom-pom animals, though. :tongue_smilie:

I agree with the others about sticking primarily with the food items. I don't care for flea markets, and I don't like it when farmer's markets become flea markets with a bit of food mixed in.

:iagree: When farmer's markets turn into "flea-markets" with food they seem to fail. I know I get turned off when markets go this direction.

...when we're talking about actual staples, if they're natural, locally made, and fairly priced. (Candles, maternity clothes and bath bombs aren't exactly staples, to my mind, but good, plain ol' soap is, for example).

I wish our (small) town's farmer's market had more in the way of homegrown dairy and/or beef. We have a source for eggs (since our egg providers were massacred), and there's a co-op based somewhat close...but I'd probably give preference to the most local source, if it was available.

But mostly, yeah...I agree with Bill. Keep it food and practical item based. If you have someone who could offer honey, that's usually a big hit, too.

ETA: I thought of something else I'd like to see at our farmer's market...wheat berries.

Edited by Jill, OK

If a new market was opening in your neighborhood, what foods or items would you like to see offered?

Gosh, I can think of a lot but when it comes to food, I would like choices in raw milk, lots of organically or biodynamically grown vegetables - hopefully at an affordable price ;), I am interested in anything people have harvested or grown themselves and as long as they have not used tons of chemicals - preferably none.

I think that dairy is still there. I see his beautiful cows every time we drive by, but I do not know them personally.

We know we can get milk, eggs, yogurt and cheese. Bread and hummus would be easy to add.

My 14 year old wants a commercial kitchen, and I think we are going to build one for her in a year or two.

Until then, I think there is a class we can take that allows us to sell food cooked in an uninspected kitchen at a not permanent site for a short period of time.

Instead of just selling cheese, it would be nice if we could sell cheesecake and lasagna and other "value added" products.

In Texas, you can not sell raw milk off of the farm, so we would have to sell pasteurized.

I really appreciate the ideas so far. Let me know if you think of any other specific foods that we could add.

She will sell Robeez, breast pumps, maternity clothes and slings. We will sell Goats milk soap and bath bombs. Another family will sell pasteurized goats milk, yogurt and cheese as well as candles.

We will be open on Fridays and Saturdays starting the middle of February. as soon as we see a profit, we will be adding a mother's day out once a week.

I help run our local farmer's market. Just some observations from our experience:

What sells best is produce and meat. People drive from quite far to get it fresh from the farmer/gardener.

The crafts do all right, but not great unless they are unique specialty items. For example, pot-holders, doilies and afghans get virtually ignored, but homemade soaps, interesting jewellery, and beeswax candles get snapped up quickly.

We're pretty picky now about the number of crafters and what kind of crafts we allow at the market, as space is limited and it's quite obvious the largest portion of the customer base is there for the food.

We also do not allow second hand goods of any kind. It's not a boot sale IYKWIM! Having seen many other markets, it's the garage sale atmosphere that turns people off right away. Our first governing criteria for vendors is that they must "Make it, bake it or grow it."

Lastly, we make each vendor responsible for obtaining the proper permits for food that is regulated (dairy, eggs, meat, etc.) They MUST bring their permit with them and display at each market.

I wish you best of luck and great success with your market! :D

Edited by Audrey

I help run our local farmer's market. Just some observations from our experience...

...Lastly, we make each vendor responsible for obtaining the proper permits for food that is regulated (dairy, eggs, meat, etc.) They MUST bring their permit with them and display at each market.

I helped start our local farmers' market and ran it for 9 years. Ours was part of an umbrella organization known as Freshfarm Markets. It was the second of eight markets to be established by FFM and it took at least 3 years to be what anyone would deem successful.

1. LOCATION! Your choice of location will greatly influence who will and won't seek you out.

2. FARMERS' Markets should, IMO, feature predominantly farm products. In the case of FFM markets, all are "producer only" meaning that farmers can only sell what they themselves grow or produce. So, any crafts, as it were, are limited to things handmade by the farmer/producer.

3. Meat and dairy are draws but, in many states, they are also bound by much more stringent regulations and they are more expensive to bring to market because they require refrigeration. Check into this before you extend invitations and, as Audrey says, make sure each vendor has the proper paperwork in hand before you allow him/her to sell. Liability is, unfortunately a real issue, and you don't want to be held responsible for some goober selling improperly processed meat.

4. Keep the hours to a minimum at first. For a "market" as small as what you may begin with, I would only offer to be in the location for about 2 hours (maybe 3) once a week. Any more than that, you'll be wasting your time, which is, after all, money. Unless...wait...?...is this going to be INDOORS? Will you be paying rent?

5. Work to make a strong initial impression by having the market be as vibrant as possible on the first day you open. Unless your people are very different from "my people" (aka: typical customers here), most will quickly tire of making another stop just for milk or soap. They'll *want* to, but they'll run out of time and just go to the place where they can get it all. So, if there is a way to have something really attractive - say, greenhouse grown lettuces, and winter carrots, micro-greens, and fresh radishes. You get the idea.

I hope it's successful for you!

Growing and selling at our local farmer's market is our daughter's full time business. She grows and sells flowers and gourmet type veggies. It is hard work! She absolutely loves it! Between that and her husband's business of editing/free lance writing (check out http://www.blackdogwriting.com), they manage to actually live and put food on the table! Amazing!

Susie in SWVA

When we hit our farmer's market, we go for the produce, but other things that attract my attention are the homemade soaps/lotions/body products, baked goods, flowers, plants to transplant, and meats. I would love someone to sell the stuff to make my own organic/nontoxic cleaning products so I wouldn't have to go store hunting with the kids to find it all - this goes double for essential oils.