Menu

specific question to those who have a upper end front load washer

I need a new washer asap. I've been searching for information. It is not easy to get. I am thinking Bosch 500/800 models or Whirlpool Duet. I want to be able to wash large blankets - is it important to have a heavy duty cycle for that? Also, is it good to have a cotton cycle or does it not really matter? There are so many options and they are all so different it is hard to know which is the best one for us! And, then I just think at that price range they should all be pretty good and just go for the one that I think is the coolest?!

I have a Whirlpool Duet. I don't have a cotton setting, but it does have a Heavy Duty cycle. I don't know what the cotton setting would be for.

My Duet washes blankets and comforters beautifully, and spins them almost dry, without using the Heavy Duty cycle. The Heavy Duty cycle increases the cleaning time, and is meant for cleaning super-dirty clothes, like mud-caked, grass stained jeans. You don't need it for blankets.

If you plan to wash blankets, you may not want the storage drawer underneath. The washers vibrate and "walk" more when they're up high. They're more stable with a lower center of mass.

Have you visited the "Laundry Forum"???? ALl you could ever want to know - and more! LOL!!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

I have a Miele and have been happy with it, it's an older smaller machine. Miele's are technically built to last 20 years....

We have a Miele as well. We love it.

We did just experience a very strange problem with our dryer. The drum broke away. It looked like someone had crawled around inside behind the drum and opened it with a can-opener. This would be impossible to do, but the Miele repairmen and I were slack-jawed wondering how this had happened. Never before had they seen or heard of such a thing happening.

But Miele, being Miele, gave us a brand-new dryer with no hassle (and despite the fact ours was 4 years-old and out of warranty).

I like they way they do business, and their products are top-notch.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I have a Samsung with the vibration reduction technology(VBT) and I love it. I have no problem getting a king sized comforter in there. I have it installed on a wood floor and that thing doesn't move AT ALL. If i wash a really heavy load (like towels) you will hear knocking for 10-20 seconds and then the VBT takes over and it is quiet again. My sister and mother-in-law both have front loaders installed on wood floors and complain how much they walk (one has a Maytag and one has an LG) but mine never does.

I have an Asko, but MIL has a Miele. Miele wins, hands down. I've had to replace the belts several times and the computer once (in ten years). The Asko dryer died. Her Miele is still going strong.

Although they look small, I can fit everything in there except the extra-long king arctic weight down comforter (lighter weight ones are fine).

I especially like the "boil" cycle and the "wool" cycle. The boil cycle and Boeax take care of all animal odors and dust mites. The only wool I've sent to the dry cleaners in years are the lined jackets (coats and suits.) It's been worth it.

I have the Duet and it's on the pedestals. I put it on them because the set sits in the basement and sometimes the basement floods a bit after heavy rain. I've never had them walk anywhere. Make sure you get them leveled well, though.

EX has the Bosch and likes it a lot. The only differences between the numbers (300, 500, 800, etc) are the features the washer offers. The motor is the same in all.

I need a new washer asap. I've been searching for information. It is not easy to get. I am thinking Bosch 500/800 models or Whirlpool Duet. I want to be able to wash large blankets - is it important to have a heavy duty cycle for that? Also, is it good to have a cotton cycle or does it not really matter? There are so many options and they are all so different it is hard to know which is the best one for us! And, then I just think at that price range they should all be pretty good and just go for the one that I think is the coolest?!

I've had my LG Tromms for two years now and love them.

Mine are now 2 years old and I love them. I don't have any complaints about them. I do not have them on pedestals (I didn't need the storage space, so I saved $$$), and they are on ceramic tile on a crawl space foundation. I've not had to adjust either machine for movement.

I would think that for washing regular blankets, all you would need is a large enough drum. I agree with a pp in that heavy duty means a heavy duty mess needing cleaning.

A friend of mine had a Miele washer, and when it died, she was told it would be two weeks for a repair guy to visit (I guess there aren't any local folks here), so she bought a new one...not sure which make. I will say, though, that she loved her Miele (it was 10 years old, I think). That was also a reason I chose Whirlpool....when these things break, I need repairs ASAP, and you can always find Whirlpool repairmen. :001_smile:

Good luck in your search!

(the other) Heather in Al

We have 2 sets of Mieles and one set of Askos. The Asko washer/dryer are a small, stackable set. Mine are noisy, but they're old... We have the biggest Miele set in our closet. I love, love, love them. We also have a stackable Miele set in the hallway laundry room. They're great, too, but smaller. I can't imagine ever buying anything but Miele!

It has the pedestal that goes underneath, which I don't love. It makes the washer so tall -- and it is already "deep" (juts out away from the wall -- that I can't get to the cabinets above it.

I rarely use any settings besides the Normal/Casual cycle, but I do reset the temp settings for various loads. I've washed comforters and blankets using the Normal/Casual cycle. No problems there.

I've had my LG Tromms for two years now and love them.

Yup, I've had mine for about 5 and they're great. My only regret was not getting the pedestals, which we could totally buy, but it would be a pain to hoist the machines up and shove them under. I can wash king-sized comforters in there with no problem. I wash wool (but don't have a wool setting... I can't imagine how that would differ from 'delicates' or 'hand wash' - there's no agitator, so it would be - is in fact - very difficult to felt something), I was diapers, and everything in between.

To answer your actual question, though... I'd look at reviews, look at the actual machines (in person), look into what effort you'll have to make in your area to have them serviced (the repair people in our area hand up on you if you have a front loader in general, or anything other than a GE) and then decide which one fits your washing style. All things being equal, it's more about what and how you wash.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I have the Whirlpool Duet and, knock wood, no problems. I have a huge king feather bed/quilt, & the kids all have full size down quilts, and they all fit in quite nicely with a good shove for the king, and no problems. A couple of tennis balls in the dryer, and we are good to go. I do love the spin dry at the end of the wash cycle. No dripping and drying time is reasonable.

My fingers are double crossed now!

Edited by LibraryLover

We also have LG Tromm and couldn't be happier.

According to the salesman the Whirlpool Duets are actually made by LG, but the LG's had features that made them more durable machines in the long run. If I could remember what they were now I'd tell you. LOL:lol:

Heehee. Ours are "allegedly stackable", but I would have to use a step ladder to push the buttons on the top on if they were. :D

A friend has the all-in-one (she also only has one child, way past the diaper phase) and loves it. I aspire to a place in my life where my laundry could be done, one load at a time, in one machine. Wow.

I have the Duet, stacked. My "laundry room" is actually a closet, so I didn't have much of a choice there!

I love it, but I do have to be careful to leave the washer door cracked open and wipe everything down with vinegar/baking soda now and then.

We're rough on our washer (cloth diapers, lots of pet-hair covered blankets, etc.), but it's served us well for the past 3.5 years!