Menu

For those of you who bake your own bread, how do you slice it?

:)

I mostly bake an oblong loaf and slice it with a very sharp bread knife because I like a "crusty" crust.

Depending on who is doing the slicing, individual slices vary from 0.5" to over 1" in width. :lol: When it comes out of the oven, warm and chewy, the amount of butter I have seen a certain young man heap on...oh well you didn't ask about how much butter was used.

For those of you who bake your own bread, how do you slice it?

With a knife.

If it's me, it's a straight slice, 1/2 inch thick. All my boys like to "chunk" it. I bake in bread loaf pans (nice, flat, even bottom), and I try to ensure at least 10 min. between baking and eating. . .otherwise cutting is insanely difficult.

I am told it makes a difference whether you are using a bread machine for the whole process or not. I have been using the bread machine for the whole thing and it is very difficult to slice thinly. A friend who has to bake all her own due to food allergies says that in her experience the interior seems to be softer on bread machine bread and thus harder to slice (shape may also affect that, we get square loaves). IIRC, she said that that wasn't an issue if she just used the bread machine to make the dough and then shaped and baked it in the oven.

I bought one of the slicing guides once, but the slices were so thick I didn't care for it. We use a big bread knife, haven't tried an electric knife.

bread_slicer.jpg

I have one of these. Thrift stores have them all the time, btw. my kids prefer even slices. I use a cheap, serrated "ham knife" for slicing. Works much better than the fancy bread knife someone gave me.

I have something similar this and use an electric, serrated (bread) knife to slice when I want it sliced (which means not always or even usually).

One tip: laying the loaf on it's side to slice will help keep the loaf from collapsing. The warmer the bread, the more dramatic the collapse.

Dh and I slice gorgeous, thin slices with an ordinary bread knife. However, we were not always so skilled--it took a while to get the hang of it.

I do find that letting a fresh loaf sit at least 10-15 minutes helps the bread not collapse when slicing.

Other than that, I would worry less about fancy gadgets or methods and just keep trying. You'll figure it out with practice.

I have a bread slicer, something like this. I usually slice the whole loaf with a serrated-edge knife and bag it.

Gee Ellie - i'm not sure how to use "CUISENAIRE RODS" to slice bread! LOL!!!

I HAD a wood bread slicer and i'd love to have another for the kids to use, but havent' seen one around recently......

I use a bread knife and can get what i want sliced, my DD is all over the place! LOL!!

When I bake bread I use my electric bread knife to cut it. I'm sure it was under 20.00 and absolutely worth every penny, especially if you bake all of your own bread. Now I can make slices of a normal thickness as opposed to those giant hunks of dense, homemade bread (great for slathering w/ butter and jam, not so great for sandwiches).:tongue_smilie:

I usually use a serated bread knife. However, we recently visited an elderly friend who broke out her electric knife to cut her fresh baked bread. I was inspired by the ease, accuracy, quickness and quality of the slices/slicing that I am going to break out our electric knife the next time we bake bread!;)

I flip my Bread upside down to slice with my manual serrated bread knife. Honestly! The top is crusty and I kept having very uneven slices. Somewhere (?Alton Brown?) I read to do this so I tried it. It is so much easier to slice evenly.

I only slice what I need for the first loaf as we go, but I completely slice the second loaf and freeze it. This way the kids can pull out a couple slices at a time and toast them in the toaster oven. I do the same with the sub rolls (about 3 oz. each). I leave half as is, but I slice the second half and freeze. This way I only make bread about once a week, but the frozen bread will last longer.