Menu

How do you decide to spend big or little in the short term?

Ok, I know that made little to no sense, so let me try again. Examples will help. :001_smile:

Like when buying a new vacuum. How do you decide to spend the big money on a Dyson vs buying something less expensive that may not last as long?

Or cookware - buying something over $300 versus spending about $100 on a set at Target?

I know there are other examples. But how do you decide? What makes spending now worth it?

Since I cook and bake, I want pots and pans that are going to hold up -- no handles falling off, etc. So, I get the "good stuff."

A vacuum cleaner? If mine broke right now, I'd get a much less expensive one, because we don't have much carpet and our new home will have hardwood/tile, with area rugs... so again, not heavy use. So, I'd get something Good, but not "cheap" or really expensive.

So, it comes down to how much will it be used. My dad used to buy everything cheap (regardless of how it would be used), and wound up replacing things every. single. year. He wound up spending MUCH more replacing the items than he would have spent if he had opened the fist a little more and bought something that could handle the wear and tear.

I think about the value... how much will I use it, for how long, will it bring much pleasure (like a nice pair of comfy shoes), and so forth. I try to buy the best I **need** (as opposed to want) when it makes a real difference in my life. For example, I'd rather have a couple nice pots that I use every day than a cheap set. Consumer Reports helps a lot, too.

Ok, :001_smile:

Like when buying a new vacuum. How do you decide to spend the big money on a Dyson vs buying something less expensive that may not last as long?

Or cookware - buying something over $300 versus spending about $100 on a set at Target?

I know there are other examples. But how do you decide? What makes spending now worth it?

It depends on the item and if I need above average performance.

Example: I buy a vacuum that is adequate to the needs of the family. I don't care that much if it's the top model as long as it does what it's supposed to do - average is okay here.

I love to cook and bake. I would likely choose cookware that performs superbly because I want it to last and have excellent results.

If you can afford it, you can always choose from the upper model range of anything and probably be happy, however, there have been instances when a lower priced model has performed as good or better than higher priced ones. If the purchase is considered "large", get recommendations and ask people why they think it's good or not so good. Some of their criteria may not be yours.

I agree with others in that it depends on how much we intend to use it or how long we intend to keep it. We spend a bit more on cookware and dishes to be sure they are as safe to use as possible, we spend extra on VOC free paint to eliminate some carcinogens, and sprang for wood floors for health concerns. I buy cheaper towels, decor, and other things that are not as important to me or will be changed often. I also look for quality in the 'used' market such as buying name brand clothing from goodwill as well as clothing that is to be worn a few times (formals for business parties).

We struggle with this as well. A few years back when we were looking for a washer, we basically found that we could spend $400 on one that would last approximately 4 years or $800 on one that would last 8 years. Either way you are still spending $100 a year on a washer. In our cash-strapped circumstances, we usually buy the lower priced item.

Guest janainaz

I never have that option of spending big. I think I would if I could for certain things, because you do get what you pay for (vacuums being one!). I go through a vacuum a year. I try to buy middle of the road - not the cheapest, but certain not top dollar.

Most of my appliances I got when my dh and I got married. That was almost 12 years ago. I registered for the less expensive stuff - it's all still working. That is all I know.

It depends how much I care, really. When shopping for an overlocker (serger) we paid $100 on top of the base line price in order to have an easier to thread machine, knowing the money was worth paying to avoid the frustration. Each vacuum cleaner we buy is more expensive than the last. I hate to vacuum already, but a vacuum cleaner that won't vacuum is enough to give me vacuum rage, when I actually force myself to drag it out and use it. I would certainly vacuum more often if I could be sure the wretched thing wouldn't overheat and konk out for hours each time I tried to use it. I buy expensive shoes too, because I only own about two pairs at a time. I would never spend large amounts on buying a matching lounge suite because we just don't care about that sort of thing. I probably spend more than necessary on a lot of things, but I buy far fewer of them. In the past I have paid $50 for a beautiful hand painted skirt, which I wore to death (about 6 years) and plan to cut up to make my daughter some dresses next summer. My sister, on the other hand, won't spend more than $10 on anything, so will buy 5 $10 skirts that she doesn't really love, then only wear them for one season.

Rosie

For me, depends on the total cash outlay and whether the more expensive product is used a lot and will last significantly longer.

I bought a Dyson a few years ago because I was tired of replacing my Sears vacuum cleaners every few years, and my research showed the Dyson would last longer. So far, it has made it to the Sears cutoff, it still works, and it is easier to use.

I bought a Bosch dishwasher last year because we have had to replace our others (Maytag, several Kenmores, $400 models) every 2 years. My research showed that a mid-priced dishwasher ($600-$800) will last a lot longer than a low-priced dishwasher. The high-priced models will allegedly last for 15 years, but I'm not willing to make that leap with our track record and finances in mind.

OTOH, we have had to replace our microwaves about once a year, no matter what brand we buy or how wonderful the reviews say they are. DH always purchased the most snazzy, expensive one he could find, even though it is used only for reheating food.

I was really mad about the broken microwaves. When the last one broke, I went to Home Depot and bought the cheapest one they had: $65, Magic Chef.

That cheap microwave has worked for 2 years, so far. Everyone hates it, except for me, because it is not snazzy at all. It's a little workhorse, though.

Regarding cookware, I use it every day and I consider these to be my tools. I buy the best quality I can afford. I have a set of waterless, stainless steel cookware that I have been using for 30 years. I have a set of Le Creuset that I desperately wanted 15 years ago, and absolutely hate using. I bought the rest of my pots and pans individually, different brands, based on need, price, quality, and reviews. I bought various brands to try them out because after the Le Creuset fiasco, I am not going to buy any more expensive sets unless I try out the brand first, love it, and need all the pieces it comes with.

Note: Le Creuset gets consistent 5-star reviews. I hate the stuff, but I apparently stand alone in this.

Our old stove finally bit the dust right after Thanksgiving, so we bought a $500 Hotpoint to replace it. I would have preferred to get something a lot more expensive (under $10,000), but we can't afford that ultimate luxury, and this one does all I *need* it to do, and got the best reviews in its price category.

We will do the same when our washer and dryer finally bite the dust soon. We will buy the cheapest, reasonable quality, high capacity set we can find. Cost is the primary consideration right now.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

We do research through consumer reports then find the best possible price. I.e. I finally decided I was ready to splurge on a Kitchen Aide dh found exactly what I wanted through amazon for about $100 less, not sure why and it was brand new not a reworked one. They also offered a free attachment of my choice which we sold on Ebay and brought the overall price for my kitchen aide to just over $100 where it started at about $250.

Getting the best does not mean paying top dollar but doing research to see what features are important to you and are you willing to pay for certain things or give up others.

If you are looking to make a major purchase be sure you know what you want and wait it out you should be able to get really good deals this year as businesses close or need to unload to make room for new merchandise or just downsize their inventory. Also, watch the internet for offers, coupons, gift card with purchase etc.

One is what the price differential is.

Another is how much it bugs me to use the 'not so good' item.

Another is what other financial priorities do I have right now?

Another is whether I use this more or my DH uses it more.

So, if the cheap item is free or thrift store or garage sale priced, I will usually try it for a while. But when I break down and buy the new stuff, I am SO PICKY. So, for instance, I had cheapish pots and pans of various kinds for years. I love to cook, and during that time I read up on the good stuff. Someone gave us a Caphalon pot, and I didn't like it. We tried some 'better' non stick cookware for health reasons, and I didn't like it. Finally we bought a Williams-Sonoma in house high end brand, and we very disappointed. It only had thick bottoms, not thick sides, and the handles were hollow and wicked the fumes from the gas burners right out so they heated up a lot. Since I knew a lot about pans by then, I could see what could be improved on that design. We returned them (and WS has since taken them off the market) and bought the best thing we could find--All Clad Master Chef. This design has handles that don't appreciably heat up, and the sides as well as the bottoms are thick and good at heat transfer. No hot spots anywhere, ever. It's not nonstick, but it's so smooth that it cleans up very easily. It's not one of their pretty designs, like the stainless or the black exteriors, but it's extremely functional. We will have these forever, and every time I use them I'm glad that we bought them.

Financial priorities--for me, a vaccuum cleaner is not really all that important. I want mine to clean the carpets, and a bit of upholstery, but that's it. A Dyson would be entirely wasted on me. I would not appreciate it enough to make it worth the money, and I also would resent it excessively if something went wrong with it. So it's not worth it.

For 'bugging me', my best example is a sewing machine. I don't like to sew all that much, and after some experimenting at a quilting conference I have realized that it is because my old Kenmore is just not a very good machine. It's like I have to fight it all the time when I use it. I didn't realize how much better a machine could be until I tried some really good ones. So the Kenmore drives me crazy, and I don't sew because of that, so if I ever decide to start sewing, I will need to buy a good machine. Also, if DD ever seriously wants to sew, I'll think about getting a good machine. But, in the meantime, I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on a used model of a good brand. If I run across one, I might buy it.

For my DH, he's just different from me. I prefer to have one good thing and keep it nice and use it forever. He doesn't like to have to put things away. So expensive lifetime garden shovels, for instance, would be utterly wasted on him. He would leave them outside and they would rust. And he really, really doesn't care about this at all (we are SO different). If they rust he gets a little annoyed at them, but that doesn't make him put them away next time. So, for instance, I have one kitchen knife that no one but me uses. And I use it and wash it and dry it and hide it. (I don't make a big deal about this--he is who he is.) But our other good knives get left in the bottom of the sink, and put in the dishwasher, and left in bowls of water or salad dressing or whatever. Basically they are not sharp and not maintained. That's the compromise that I can live with. So I would not support getting something really, really expensive that requires maintenance if DH were going to use it the most, because it would lead to fights when the maintenance didn't happen. But I don't stop him from getting stuff like that--it's more that I don't encourage him to or put it on the table or that I say, well, could we maybe find one that is not quite so pricey? And then if he still wants it, I just look at it as entertainment money for him.

If I feel that the thing will please me by how it works, and last long enough to make up for the price, then I'll buy the expensive one. I bought a Dyson ball vacuum. Everything about it pleases me, from the packaging (just really balanced to be carried easily by one person) to the thing itself. As husband said, 'It's the Mac of vacuum design.' I'm not interested in swank brands, just really good, functional design.

Laura

I like to check reviews and see what features are important that I may have never thought about.

From there it is so variable for what I am doing:

To decide between top of the line and mid range (I don't buy the cheapest) I guess it depends on how much difference for gain there is. A vacuum not only has the initial cost but it saves the carpet, so if it is a good one, then it pays for itself! My kitchen pans are usually mid range and while I would love All Clad, I can't justify $150-200 for a skillet that will work a 'little' better than the $50 one. My pans won't affect my quality of cooking or save me money in the long run.

If it is an extra $5 for a 'very good' paintbrush instead of a 'good' brush to paint my wall...I will buy the best...unless I know I will be in a hurry and not want to wash it out, then it is cheap and disposable!

It is too variable to really answer how I decide as a general rule.

FWIW, Dysons are not rated all that well by Consumer Reports. The #1 rated upright is the Kenmore Progessive ($350). The bagless Progessive is #2 ($350). The Eureka Boss Smart is #3 ($150). There is even a $70 vac. which came in at #6, the Hoover Tempo Widepath. The Dyson Absolute Animal ($550) is #9. The Dyson ball (the one I thought I wanted) is rated #22! So, my advice is to do your research. There might be a less expensive option out there that you simply don't know about. Also, if you can get your hands on the Consumer Reports specs., they break it down by category. For instance, they tell you which vacuums are best on bare floors or which are quietest or which work the best on pet hair, etc. What you need in a vacuum is going to be different than what someone else may need.

HTH!

For me, depends on the total cash outlay and whether the more expensive product is used a lot and will last significantly longer.

I bought a Dyson a few years ago because I was tired of replacing my Sears vacuum cleaners every few years, and my research showed the Dyson would last longer. So far, it has made it to the Sears cutoff, it still works, and it is easier to use.

I bought a Bosch dishwasher last year because we have had to replace our others (Maytag, several Kenmores, $400 models) every 2 years. My research showed that a mid-priced dishwasher ($600-$800) will last a lot longer than a low-priced dishwasher. The high-priced models will allegedly last for 15 years, but I'm not willing to make that leap with our track record and finances in mind.

OTOH, we have had to replace our microwaves about once a year, no matter what brand we buy or how wonderful the reviews say they are. DH always purchased the most snazzy, expensive one he could find, even though it is used only for reheating food.

That right there is some baaaaaaaaaaad appliance juju. Wow.

I bought a Dyson after 2 Hoover Wind Tunnels broke (one with the beater bar stuck on, one with the beater bar stuck off) within the first month of use (and the second one was the second time I used it). As Laura said, everything about it pleases me. My favorite thing is that, when I accidentally suck something up that won't make the curve, we don't have to employ tools to take the whole flipping thing apart. It snaps apart at strategic places.

I've had the Dyson for... 5 years? Maybe 6. No issues at all. (Of course, I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that is nearly as old, was a portable and now is installed and that is still working great. Maybe I'm sucking up all of RoughCollie's good appliance fortune. :D

ETA: Does anyone besides Consumer Reports actually care about how quiet a vacuum is? I mean, I'm not vacuuming around the bed while people sleep. It's a vacuum. It makes that, you know, "giant sucking sound" originally blamed on NAFTA.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

ETA: Does anyone besides Consumer Reports actually care about how quiet a vacuum is? I mean, I'm not vacuuming around the bed while people sleep. It's a vacuum. It makes that, you know, "giant sucking sound" originally blamed on NAFTA.

When you get older, losing your hair....many years from now....

(okay, Beatles off): later in middle age some of us get ringing in our ears from loud noises that can linger. I appreciate a quieter vac, and now that I'd read more about loud noises and little kids, I appreciate a quieter vac. Hubby's "hotel type" upright is a jet engine to me, and my Sears whatchamacallit (I learned about it here) does not leave me with ringing.

You might be surprized at what you value at 60......

FWIW, Dysons are not rated all that well by Consumer Reports. The #1 rated upright is the Kenmore Progessive ($350). The bagless Progessive is #2 ($350). The Eureka Boss Smart is #3 ($150). There is even a $70 vac. which came in at #6, the Hoover Tempo Widepath. The Dyson Absolute Animal ($550) is #9. The Dyson ball (the one I thought I wanted) is rated #22! So, my advice is to do your research. There might be a less expensive option out there that you simply don't know about. Also, if you can get your hands on the Consumer Reports specs., they break it down by category. For instance, they tell you which vacuums are best on bare floors or which are quietest or which work the best on pet hair, etc. What you need in a vacuum is going to be different than what someone else may need.

HTH!

This is so very true. I was really excited a few years ago when I got a Dyson for Solstice from dh, well fast forward to this past summer (The Dyson was about 2.5 -3 years old) and it just wouldn't work anymore. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with it. Well I checked consumer reports to find out it wasn't all that highly rated. Based on the reports there I decided to buy a Bissel Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum. It cost about $120 at Target and worked so much better than the $500 Dyson. After that dh and I decided we'd rather buy a $120 vacuum every 3 years (that how long our old ones lasted, but we thought the Dyson would last longer) because that's a heck of a lot better than $500 every 3 years. I've also decided that after having an LG front load washer that's becoming a real pain in the behind that when this one bites the dust we'll just stick with the top loaders. My brother has our old Whirlpool Top loader and it's 12 years old and never a problem ever. We've had the LG repair guys (which are like trying to find a needle in a haystack) out no less than a half dozen times in the past 4 years for this one and their customer service has been horrible.

vacuums, sewing machines, etc, etc...are all built to fall apart so you keep buying...GRRRR!!!!

It's honestly best, with some things, to find old used items that are made with quality parts that last rather than buy midline new.

Until we can afford to spend oodles of $ on a vacuum we will buy a bagged hoover for about $100 every 2 years.

I have an old Singer sewing machine. I would love some newer functions, but in reality I'm not willing to part with "old reliable" for new and broken.

My standing mixer is probably older than I am, but still makes yummy food and kneads my bread.

My mom sold her old Rainbow vacuum to buy a Dyson!:banghead: and she didn't sell it to me!:banghead::tongue_smilie: (that Rainbow was still running perfectly after nearly 3 decades!)