Menu

What can I make to use up almost half a gallon of milk?

Other than yogurt, because I have nothing for starter at the moment.

For several reasons, this week I'm stuck with about 3/4 of a half gallon container of raw whole milk, and I can't bear to let it go bad. What can I make to use up all this milk?

TIA!

pudding

au gratin or scalloped potatoes

Ooooh, if only I had potatoes, yum!

Polenta is what I make when I want to use up milk.

JIP (or anyone else who has done this), can you tell me how you make it with milk? I did a quick search and kept coming up with only water-based recipes. Do you just substitute the milk for the water? I'd love to make it with parm or romano cheese, chill it, then fry it in slices and top it with tomatoes, but I'd hate to ruin that with extra milk if it wouldn't work. What do you think?

I second the pudding suggestion, or if it is cold where you are you can make hot cocoa. The recipe on the Hershey's cocoa container is great!

Pudding is definitely on the menu for tonight! I never thought of that, and DD was even asking to make it awhile back. Cool! And hot cocoa--I love that recipe, but they are weird about it. They beg and beg for hot cocoa, then they leave it in their cups on the table :glare:

Thank you for the ideas!

You can also freeze it.

That's the problem, it was already frozen and then thawed, and it's been in the fridge for a few days. I can't freeze it again :( We had conventional-milk-drinking family visiting, so this got pushed to the back and I just realized today that I really have to use it or lose it.

JIP (or anyone else who has done this), can you tell me how you make it with milk? I did a quick search and kept coming up with only water-based recipes. Do you just substitute the milk for the water? I'd love to make it with parm or romano cheese, chill it, then fry it in slices and top it with tomatoes, but I'd hate to ruin that with extra milk if it wouldn't work. What do you think?

I sweat a chopped onion until soft in a little olive oil, then I pour in milk (IDK, maybe a cup per person? or just use all the milk), some salt and pepper, then heat to just before the boil. Whisk in cornmeal - enough to make it like a pancake batter then stir with a wooden spoon and lower heat to low. Simmer, for about 5-10 minutes.

Add about 2-4 tablespoons butter and a generous handful of parmesan cheese and stir.

Serve. :) Serve soft or put in pan in fridge to slice and fry.

Substituting milk will work fine in a recipe you already have! I like my polenta made with milk, it's so creamy and delicious.

Why can't it be refrozen? What will happen? It's raw milk, so it's going to separate anyhow. I don't understand.

It's not the separation, it's the fact that it's already been thawed, in my fridge for 5 days, in and out of the fridge for serving periodically, etc. It's kind of already reached the end of the time span where I feel comfortable using it, and it's juuuust barely starting to take on that musky quality that I dislike intensely (not spoiled, just distasteful to me). So I figure I have maybe another day left to use it quickly. If it had thawed entirely in the fridge and never really came out, I'd feel better about it, but as it is, I'm not comfortable trying to stretch its use out much longer, frozen or not.

Paneer. That's Indian-style fresh cheese. Heat the milk stir in a little lemon juice (vinegar in a pinch) stir as curds form. Let sit a bit. Pour through muslin. Refrigerate. Yum.

Ooooh, yum. I love paneer. There was an unfortunate field trip to a head shop with my eldest in tow in my quest for paneer several years ago. :glare:

Also, if it goes bad, just bake with it as if it's buttermilk.