Menu

What would you do?

DawnM

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@DawnM Big hugs to you for all your've been through lately - sinuses and everything. That's got to be really rough emotionally. I'm sure your brain will be processing this all over then next while - particularly when the physical pain of your sinuses distraction is resolved. All the best. We're here for you if you need to vent, process or see some great jokes on that special thread. 

Thanks. I actually leave on my trip Thursday and have a boatload of things to do, so I will be kept busy for a while, which will be helpful.

• Like 4

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have put the clothing through the washer twice and dried them and they still REEK of moth balls.   And my suitcase is so bad, I had to take it outside in the sun and hope it goes away, but I am really upset that all may be ruined.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I have put the clothing through the washer twice and dried them and they still REEK of moth balls.   And my suitcase is so bad, I had to take it outside in the sun and hope it goes away, but I am really upset that all may be ruined.

There are some sports equipment washing fluids that might be useful. They supposedly work to remove odours from sweaty hockey gear that is really rank. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I think it will fade, but it might take some time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think it will fade, but it might take some time.

We leave Thursday and need that suitcase!   I am going to go get some baking soda.   I read that can help.

I am also washing my load for a THIRD time with a whole bottle of white vinegar and soaking it this time.

It is making me GAG.   

30 minutes ago, DawnM said:

We leave Thursday and need that suitcase!   I am going to go get some baking soda.   I read that can help.

I am also washing my load for a THIRD time with a whole bottle of white vinegar and soaking it this time.

It is making me GAG.   

I can’t imagine what the house/closets were like!

• Like 1

No wonder you got sick! Ugh.  I  Had a friend in AR who used sooooo many moth balls under their house that I could not stand to be in her house.  She was terrified of snakes and someone told her moth balls would keep snakes away. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Also can I say I am gobsmacked that your birth father’s identity would be a secret after all of this time. And yea it is your story to tell.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

There are some sports equipment washing fluids that might be useful. They supposedly work to remove odours from sweaty hockey gear that is really rank. 

I have 2 days left and a mountain of things to do, unless it is easily found, I don't have time.

Can you get them at places like Target?   All the sports stores are a ways away, although I may be able to get my son to go and collect it.

Do you know what it is called?

On 6/24/2024 at 7:07 PM, DawnM said:

I have 2 days left and a mountain of things to do, unless it is easily found, I don't have time.

Can you get them at places like Target?   All the sports stores are a ways away, although I may be able to get my son to go and collect it.

Dawn, I don't know about the clothes, but for the suitcase, pour a whole bag of kitty litter in the suitcase, put it out in the sun, mostly zipped closed, and then turn it every hour or so. That cured one of my suitcases that had a stinky fluid spilled in it. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 8:07 PM, DawnM said:

The stuff we use for hockey is not available at Target, but the store does carry charcoal packets and odor eliminators in the laundry and pet aisle.  We've only used them for bio-based stink, so I'm not sure how they'll work on mothballs.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

The stuff we use for hockey is not available at Target, but the store does carry charcoal packets and odor eliminators in the laundry and pet aisle.  We've only used them for bio-based stink, so I'm not sure how they'll work on mothballs.

I would *love* to know what you use for the hockey stuff. We have not found anything that works on fencing gear, but I had no idea special sports themed laundry stuff existed, so I'm happy to search for it once I have a name!

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

I would *love* to know what you use for the hockey stuff. We have not found anything that works on fencing gear, but I had no idea special sports themed laundry stuff existed, so I'm happy to search for it once I have a name!

It's called Scenturion and it's more expensive than I'd like to admit.  We pay $11 for a 4oz spray bottle that is odorless and does a pretty good job.

We don't use it often because it's so expensive.  I have a portable UV antibacterial light wand that flexes to fit inside boots and gear for daily use.  DS hangs all his equipment on an Ikea coat tree thing with lots of spikes, but obviously neither of those were a solution for summer camp (2x on the ice each day for a week with alternating off-ice sessions before, after, and between).  The Scenturion spray makes it much easier to deal with.

• Thanks 1