Menu

Summer slow cooker ideas?

Katy

I’d like to have more crock pot meals that I can assemble before we leave for the pool & still have dinner ready when we get home. But I have no ideas and a migraine that makes me hesitant to google. 

What crockpot meals does your family like in the summer? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We instant pot > slow cooker, but citrus marinated chicken, 

what do you use for the citrus marinated chicken?  Do you have a recipe?  I'd be grilling or using the slow cooker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicken fajitas —3-4 chicken breast, can of black beans drained and packet of taco seasoning (or from scratch seasoning if you like) cook on low all day. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve on tortillas with salsa, cheese, rice, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Balsamic beef roast in the crockpot.

3-4 # roast in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients in a measuring cup and pour over roast.

4 hours on high, 6 -8 on low.

Serve with rice or serve it on hoagie rolls with sauce on the side. 

leftovers can be used for beef quesadillas. 

IMG_4032.jpeg

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Chicken taco meat is one of my favorites:
Chicken breast, some taco seasoning, a little salsa, a little lime juice, cook for 4-6 hours, use hand mixer to shred it. I make a bunch and freeze leftovers in appropriate sized baggies. Good for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, nachos, or taco salad (just throw meat on salad). Sometimes I buy the shredded lettuce so I don't have to worry about that, cut up tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, shredded cabbage, sour cream, whatever your favorite toppings are - or whatever you have on hand. 
The instant pot is great for this too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shhh, but you can do boxed scalloped potatoes in the crockpot. You just dump all the boxes of joy in, add some doodads to make it your own (cream cheese, garlic, whatever makes you happy), pour the hot liquids over the top, and come back to a pot of something that makes a nice side for whatever meat you scrounge up.

This time of year, I send my dh out with the command to grill something. 

I'm also a great lover of split pea soup in the crock pot or instant pot. If you have the energy to saute the veges first, all the better. I'm pretty casual about it (box of chicken stock, bag of rinsed split peas, sauted veges, anything else I want to throw in, marjoram and thyme, black pepper and a bay leaf. Lentils will work the same way. 

Salad, yes. Lately I've been lazy and eat my greens straight from the box. I have bags of taco turkey meat in the freezer so I can pull one out for taco salad with catalina dressing. If you can convince someone to cook up a box of turkey for you and put up some to freeze, then you have insta meals for when you don't feel well. I freeze stuff all the time because I just like to have that margin. Split pea soup freezes well btw, so you could make the whole crockpot and freeze half.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I make the same ones I make all year.  I prefer to have ones that make huge batches of food that can feed my family for days, have veggies in them, and are low price to make too. 

But yeah we have had chili in Florida in the summer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Feeling better today? How did your food turn out? 🙂

Oh, I was looking for ideas for this week, not yesterday. I honestly can’t tell if I have a migraine or a sinus infection. The pain isn’t severe, just annoying and persistent above & below my right eye. 

• Sad 3