Menu

Roll your eyes with me (JAWM)

Spryte

Our neighbor. 🙄 

And her (many?) roommates have a new, huge sign on their front door where a wreath would go. “Welcome to the S***Show, we hope you brought alcohol.”

It could be a funny meme, or sign inside the house — for them. But ugh, with all the little kids running around our neighborhood, that sign just feels off. She’s got four that are K and under, too, and presumably learning to read right now — so I guess it’s no biggie to her. I just wouldn’t have made that choice.

I hate feeling judgy.

I’m feeling judgy. Ugh. It’s probably all the meds I’m on, I’m usually just aiming to be supportive of her.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Ok, in a weird twist, our Instacart order was just misdelivered to their house, so now I have an Instacart delivery pic of our order on their porch, right in front of the sign. Gotta laugh!

Edited by Spryte
  • Haha 14
  • Sad 1

I think certain public figures and events of the last 8-9 years have encouraged a lot of people to think that being rude, crude, and offensive in public is not only normal and acceptable, it shows what a smart, edgy, independent thinker they are (never mind that a million other people have the same obscene bumper sticker/yard sign/whatever). The ability to offend others gives insecure people the illusion of power.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Right there with you. DH, DD, and I saw a woman in a family restaurant the other day. She was wearing a "F*** [candidate for President]" jacket and the "F***" was made out of guns. That's not just offensive, it's threatening. 

My usually non-confrontational DH said, "Excuse me, do you think that's appropriate?" Well, of course she did, and she's entitled to her opinion, and she guessed that DH was a [candidate for President] supporter (he's not). She walked away huffing about how SOME people are offended by ANYTHING. 

The crude stuff that goes on people's houses should surprise me but doesn't too much considering all the Confederate flags around here. Classy. 🙄

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

I have quite the potty mouth. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it - it just is. However, I'm actually careful about my audience when I do use profanity and I wouldn't put any of those words on a sign outside (or even inside) my house, on a tee shirt, etc. I'm right there judging with you.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 4:16 PM, Corraleno said:

I think certain public figures and events of the last 8-9 years have encouraged a lot of people to think that being rude, crude, and offensive in public is not only normal and acceptable, it shows what a smart, edgy, independent thinker they are (never mind that a million other people have the same obscene bumper sticker/yard sign/whatever). The ability to offend others gives insecure people the illusion of power.

I just commented on something on tiktok because the dad of a 6 year old girl used the F word multiple times to the daughter!   I got roasted.   People came on there, tagged me, and said the F word over and over again.   The content creator made an entire video with my comment and said the F word over and over again and told me to F off.

I blocked everyone involved, but THIS is why we can't get anything done to kids in the schools.  The parents are rude, in your face, cussing, telling you "You blankety blank, don't you tell my angel what to F-ing do!   This isn't his F-ing fault!"

People.   It is just horrible out there.

ANd I love the comment about the illusion of power.   100%

• Sad 5

On 4/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, MercyA said:

Right there with you. DH, DD, and I saw a woman in a family restaurant the other day. She was wearing a "F*** [candidate for President]" jacket and the "F***" was made out of guns. That's not just offensive, it's threatening. 

My usually non-confrontational DH said, "Excuse me, do you think that's appropriate?" Well, of course she did, and she's entitled to her opinion, and she guessed that DH was a [candidate for President] supporter (he's not). She walked away huffing about how SOME people are offended by ANYTHING. 

The crude stuff that goes on people's houses should surprise me but doesn't too much considering all the Confederate flags around here. Classy. 🙄

I love how people don't understand the difference between offending without knowing it and blatantly offending.    

Apparently Gen something or other is offended that we Gen X folks use punctuation in our text messages.   They said the thumbs up was aggressive and that punctuation was showing anger or some such nonsense.   

I think I would like to have said to her, "Sounds like somebody needs to find their safe space."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I just commented on something on tiktok because the dad of a 6 year old girl used the F word multiple times to the daughter!   I got roasted.   People came on there, tagged me, and said the F word over and over again.   The content creator made an entire video with my comment and said the F word over and over again and told me to F off.

I blocked everyone involved, but THIS is why we can't get anything done to kids in the schools.  The parents are rude, in your face, cussing, telling you "You blankety blank, don't you tell my angel what to F-ing do!   This isn't his F-ing fault!"

People.   It is just horrible out there.

ANd I love the comment about the illusion of power.   100%

It really is horrible! I can hardly people anymore, as Mark would say. Just an hour or two out in society at the farm store, the grocery store, the hardware, and I am just done. Aggressive driving, aggressive speech, aggressice gestures, aggression e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. So then I am exhausted from people.

Truly, I think we can't make schools better. Even IF we managed to convince the power mongers to radically change stupid policies, and overhaul funding, and all the things that would make things better for teachers and students, at the end of the day, we are still dealing with an egregiously selfish, scarily aggressive society where really, we now have more people acting like that than less. I don't see how we can move forward until the rampant self absorption lessens considerably.

Our Dd just dealt with an entire set of totally OVER THE TOP parents at a homeschool co-op who bring kids who aren't in the class she teaches but expect her to babysit those kids AND teach simultaneously so they can "have a break", and then when the teens got in trouble outdoors while she was teaching a 7-10 year old science lab indoors, they went F bomb crazy on her and the director. Not 1 person, not 2 persons, 9 women frothing at the mouth because they had to give up their "personal time" to go deal with teens. Dd isn't even paid. Just volunteering. She told the director she quit, gathered her children, her things, and left. She then had to block emails and facebook because these same women sent personal communications calling her effing unreliable and "woe as me, now I have to find somewhere else for my kids to go so I can have downtime" emails and posts.

Sickening. She is done peopling now. She invited 2 nice women and their children to her house every other week for a science lab, and an art project, then play time. I think that is better. Form a small pod of decent humans who seem to be few and far between a lot of the time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

It really is horrible! I can hardly people anymore, as Mark would say. Just an hour or two out in society at the farm store, the grocery store, the hardware, and I am just done. Aggressive driving, aggressive speech, aggressice gestures, aggression e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. So then I am exhausted from people.

Truly, I think we can't make schools better. Even IF we managed to convince the power mongers to radically change stupid policies, and overhaul funding, and all the things that would make things better for teachers and students, at the end of the day, we are still dealing with an egregiously selfish, scarily aggressive society where really, we now have more people acting like that than less. I don't see how we can move forward until the rampant self absorption lessens considerably.

Our Dd just dealt with an entire set of totally OVER THE TOP parents at a homeschool co-op who bring kids who aren't in the class she teaches but expect her to babysit those kids AND teach simultaneously so they can "have a break", and then when the teens got in trouble outdoors while she was teaching a 7-10 year old science lab indoors, they went F bomb crazy on her and the director. Not 1 person, not 2 persons, 9 women frothing at the mouth because they had to give up their "personal time" to go deal with teens. Dd isn't even paid. Just volunteering. She told the director she quit, gathered her children, her things, and left. She then had to block emails and facebook because these same women sent personal communications calling her effing unreliable and "woe as me, now I have to find somewhere else for my kids to go so I can have downtime" emails and posts.

Sickening. She is done peopling now. She invited 2 nice women and their children to her house every other week for a science lab, and an art project, then play time. I think that is better. Form a small pod of decent humans who seem to be few and far between a lot of the time.

That's wild.