Menu

phone with camera & maps but NO internet

Hi, I'm doing some research to find a phone that DOES HAVE calling, texting, maps, camera, calculator, (music or podcasts nice but optional), calendar, timer / alarms and reasonable monthly support charges, and also DOES NOT HAVE internet browsing (even on wifi). Does such a thing even exist? What I'm finding so far is . . . 

1. Light Phone 2 (doesn't have gps / maps)

2. Wisephone II (not out yet, still in development; seems expensive)

3. Gabb Phone (hmm, maybe this is it? i like that the icons look like an android / normal)

Anyone BTDT? 

Maybe an iPhone SE but under your name. I think Safari can be deleted and you have to set it to not allow installation of apps including those that are free. However, kids could crack passwords if they really want to and they could always browse on someone else’s phone or tablet. 
It is very easy to sideload with Android phones. My kids did that for fun when they were in their early teens. They taught my husband how to sideload on his android phone. 

• Like 1

I use parental controls to turn off browser capability on an iPhone. It will have to have Internet in order to do maps (assuming you want to use them for navigation) iPhone parental controls aren’t awesome, but they actually work better the fewer things you want working on the phone, so would probably work well for what you want. There are back doors in some apps (such as various google apps) so you don’t want those on there if you don’t want browser access. This also depends on if you’re looking for something simple for a senior or some thing that’s more locked down for a young person just starting out with phone use. 

• Like 3

I’m not sure how a map could work on a phone with no internet.  I guess just static digital versions of paper maps?   One that gives directions would have to connect to the internet.  

A Camera is no problem, nearly all phones have cameras and they don’t require internet.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The WisePhone II has maps without internet (it's just not yet released). I'm not tech savvy (obviously) but guessing it is locked to a database somehow? 

iPhone parental controls are an option, but looking for something more independent.  (Person asking is not a child, but an independent adult.)

I so appreciate the help of the hive mind!

Edited by Lucy the Valiant

I don't know of any map app that does not require internet access in order to download the route on the phone. But you can get a Light phone II which has no data, just talk and text, and is considered a very light cell phone experience so basically the capabilities of those old flip phones back in the day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

The WisePhone II has maps without internet

Check out Here maps. You can download and use offline. It is using crowdsourced data. The comical part was we were using that to get to Toronto airport years ago and ended up at the staff entrance. We did get to the correct location by pointing to the Hertz location at the airport. 

https://www.here.com/products/wego

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't know of any map app that does not require internet access in order to download the route on the phone. But you can get a Light phone II which has no data, just talk and text, and is considered a very light cell phone experience so basically the capabilities of those old flip phones back in the day.

Maps need the internet to map routes, but work fine as just a map like we used to have on paper when we mapped our own routes, with the added bonus that GPS does not require internet, so will also tell you where you are on the map (little blue dot; it moves with you in real time). I've used maps like this when out of the country to navigate with all data turned off, and no wifi either because out of range.

I would get an iphone, set it up so permission is needed to download apps, and then delete any browsers.  I say this assuming that when you say "no internet" what you mean is "no browsing the internet" and that other internet functions like mapping routes, and updating the software, and maybe storing photos to the cloud or finding the phone if lost are fine.  

• Sad 1

This article recently was in The Washington Post. You can set up any iPhone to have assistive access which I think was more designed for people with cognitive disabilities but would work for kids to make it a bare bones phone. The article suggested it for this reason (kid) or for people who want to really have a less distracting phone. The only apps that will show up are camera, calls, messages, and maps. I think you can add others if you want. There will be a password needed to access. I'm not the most techy person but per the article it is more difficult to get around (I think more steps) than if you just set up a parental password or parental controls. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/04/03/iphone-assistive-access-kids-seniors/

• Like 1