Menu

April 2024: What are you reading?

Vintage81

Just read Imposters by Scott Westerfield, which is set a generation after the Uglies series (a book I highly recommend for tween/teen girls - all about appearances etc). This one is pretty violent but a fun read. I think there's four in the series so I haven't got an idea of what the big themes are yet.

• Like 3

I am still reading “Silas Marner” and “The President and the Freedom Fighter: Abraham Lincoln, Fredrick Douglass and the Battle to Save America’s Soul” by Brian Kilmeade. I’ve been so tired lately that I tend to fall asleep with my book on the couch after a couple of pages, so the going is slow. I’ve been working on reading some during lunch time. I also picked up “A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life” by J.I. Packer which is very good. 

• Like 3

Finished a couple of books recently:

Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin: 

"In December of 1938, a chemist in a German laboratory made a shocking discovery: When placed next to radioactive material, a Uranium atom split in two. That simple discovery launched a scientific race that spanned 3 continents. In Great Britain and the United States, Soviet spies worked their way into the scientific community; in Norway, a commando force slipped behind enemy lines to attack German heavy-water manufacturing; and deep in the desert, one brilliant group of scientists was hidden away at a remote site at Los Alamos. This is the story of the plotting, the risk-taking, the deceit, and genius that created the world's most formidable weapon. This is the story of the atomic bomb."

DD and I read this as part of our History of Science study. I dont' think I ever really knew all of the details behind the making of the atomic bombs besides very basic stuff, so this book was super interesting. It also talked about the spies within the Manhattan Project providing information to the Soviets. Some things also felt sort of relevant to today, which provided some good talking points as well. (4 stars)

Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee:

"All Samantha wanted was to move back to New York and pursue her music, which was difficult enough being a Chinese girl in Missouri, 1849. Then her fate takes a turn for the worse after a tragic accident leaves her with nothing and she breaks the law in self-defense. With help from Annamae, a runaway slave she met at the scene of her crime, the two flee town for the unknown frontier.

But life on the Oregon Trail is unsafe for two girls. Disguised as Sammy and Andy, two boys heading for the California gold rush, each search for a link to their past and struggle to avoid any unwanted attention. Until they merge paths with a band of cowboys turned allies, and Samantha can’t stop herself from falling for one. But the law is closing in on them and new setbacks come each day, and the girls will quickly learn there are not many places one can hide on the open trail."

This is the second book I've read by this author (the first was The Downstairs Girl), and this one was almost as good as the first. The relationship between the two main female characters was delightful. The setting along the frontier was exciting and the relationships they build along the way were heartwarming. This was a quick and easy read, one that I actually didn't want to put down. My only small gripe would be that the ending felt a little rushed with some of the stuff that I was waiting for happening "off-page." Other than that, it was great. I've been in a bit of a reading slump, so this was the perfect story to get me going again. (4.5 stars)

• Like 3

I'm reading The Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory by Tim Alberta.

"Jesus instructed His followers to “take heart!” because He had overcome the troubles of this world. But most of us don’t listen. Christians remain just as susceptible to panicky groupthink and identity-based paranoia as anyone else. Despite Jesus promising His followers that they would suffer—or perhaps because of this promise—Christians since the age of Constantine have run anxiously into the arms of the state, desperate to be protected by the rulers of their time and place."

It's not good bedtime reading; I get all riled up.

• Like 3

I continued rereading the Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series by Nathan Lowell and have now finished Half ShareFull ShareDouble Share, and Captain's Share. I enjoyed revisiting them all.

ETA: I was surprised to find Life of Fred--Jelly Beans in a Little Free Library so, out of curiosity, brought it home and read it this afternoon.

///

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck. "The novel tells the tale of Richard, a retired classics professor who lives in Berlin. His wife has died, and he lives a routine existence until one day he spies some African refugees staging a hunger strike in Alexanderplatz. Curiosity turns to compassion and an inner transformation, as he visits their shelter, interviews them, and becomes embroiled in their harrowing fates."

This is one of those adult novels that I sometimes struggle to process by myself. The main character wakes up to the the complicated realities of immigration, comparing them to his own experience of growing up in East Berlin. Although it is set in Germany, it could be moved to the US with few substantive changes.

ETA but this isn't a novel about resolution, there aren't really happy endings, just a slice of life. It reminds me of a Raymond Carver poem, that was, giving a window into life but without trying to answer any questions.

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Like 3

I’m currently obsessed with Fresh Water for Flowers and puzzled how this is not more popular than it is. I don’t know what I will do when I finish it and just bought it for a number of girlfriends and will be mailing them out this week. 
I may try it in its original French next as the language itself is not super complicated. 
ETA that through a combo of reading or audio or both, I’m reading Count of Monte Cristo, Romeo and Juliet and Pride and Prejudice with DD, but all re-reads. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 4

Really enjoyed The Flame (the last) poetry collection by Leonard Cohen, and Daily Prayer with the Corymeela Community (prayers and meditations) by Padraig O'Tuama. Enjoyed Salt Houses (fiction, multigenerational diaspora Palestinian family) and Sarah Kay's No Matter the Wreckage (poetry).

Also read or listened to the Mind-Body Problem by Jonathan Westphal, Atomic Habits by James Clear (overrated), Poetry Handbook: Understanding and Writing Poems by Mary Oliver (not as good as I'd hoped based on her own poetry which I often really admire), and am nearly done with the marathon of Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman.

• Like 2

After hearing what trash the book “Flowers in the Attic” is my whole life, I saw it at the library book sale a week or so ago and grabbed a copy on impulse and curiosity and have been reading it.

It’s an odd story, for sure! But after all these years, I’m finally finding out what all the fuss was about. Not the most well-written book, but it’s an easy read and I’m having fun trying to figure out how the story will end. I won’t bother with any of the sequels.

Before that, I had started “Bookish People” but after a few chapters in, nothing was really happening and I realized that I was actually dreading having to read it, so I donated it to GoodWill. Might be a great book for someone else, but it wasn’t for me.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2