Menu

creation/evolution text

Hi, I am working on writing a text on the creation/evolution and age of earth debates covering three main areas below. My goal is to present the different perspectives, not debate, and to do so in a respectful way. I am reaching out to ask if anyone has connections with a publisher or illustrator that would be interested in this work. I would also love to hear about any books or other resources on this topic that you enjoyed. Thank you!

1. The range of views within the church

2. History people and discoveries that influenced big bang and evolutionary thought

3. Science surrounding those theories

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Are you insinuating that the creation view is a theory in your #3?

Great question! Sorry that was not clear, in #3 I am presenting the current prevailing views in the scientific community ie what you would see in a secular textbook. Many Christian textbooks do not cover it in any depth and I think it is important to be aware of it even if you disagree. My book is intended to be a supplement to your existing science program. I believe God is our Creator. The questions are in His methods and timing. 

As an aside, the term "theory" in science does not denote the strength or weakness of an argument. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, omishev said:

As an aside, the term "theory" in science does not denote the strength or weakness of an argument. 

Please do not write this text. 

Edited by desertflower
Please keep it civil.
  • Like 1

Hopefully the above comment will be removed because it is both unkind and unfounded, but I will address the questions at hand. 

My academic training is in biology in which field I teach at our state university. My initial post included a request for resource recommendations, demonstrating a desire to educate myself on the other relevant fields. 

Some denominations have websites stating their official position ( such as https://www.umc.org/en/content/ask-the-umc-what-is-the-united-methodist-position-on-evolution) so if you check several denominations you will find a range of perspectives.  I'm not sure what your religious/denomination background knowledge is, but for some groups (Presbyterians, Baptists) there are several different groups within them that can run the gamut from very conservative to very liberal on a number of issues so you might need to pick several.  I appreciate an attempt to look at variation - one of my struggles when teaching evolution has been when people ask 'Are you going to teach the Christian perspective?' and I know that there isn't just one Christian perspective.  My students run the gamut.  

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Clemsondana has good points. Some YE people (like Ken Ham of kerfuffle notoriety, mentioned in the 20 yr thread)  will make the age of the earth a litmus test for orthodoxy, completely missing that the fundamental issue is naturalism/supernaturalism. You can find early church fathers writing about a Not-6 24 hr days understanding of Genesis, so that view is not a product of modernity or Darwinism. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

You can find early church fathers writing about a Not-6 24 hr days understanding of Genesis, so that view is not a product of modernity or Darwinism. 

I would love to know more about this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kbutton said:

I would love to know more about this.

I have just begun my research but Saint Augustine (354-430 AD) was one of the more prominent early church fathers who did not take a literal interpretation of the creation account. He believed God created everything simultaneously. I don't know if there was anyone who held to a long creation period before modern geology etc but the main point of discussion is whether the days are literal or not. 

• Like 1

Someone at my church has recommended the book, Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller.  I have it but haven't read it yet, so I can't tell you anything about it.  I'm looking forward to reading it one of these days! 

• Like 1

In his Biology class, Greg Landry has the students read In Six Days-- Why 50 Scientists Choose to Believe in Creation and it was a great supplement. Also, I am not a Ken Ham fan, but AIG does have great resources. 

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 1

I though of another resource:

You might reach out to Ben Spackman; I've followed him for a few years. His research emphasis includes the intersection of religion and science, and while his primary emphasis has been on the development of scientific and religious thought in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I know he has done a ton of research in protestant spheres as well. He may know of other relevant research or people to contact.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ben-spackman-993422a

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 4:16 PM, omishev said:

Hi, I am working on writing a text on the creation/evolution and age of earth debates covering three main areas below. My goal is to present the different perspectives, not debate, and to do so in a respectful way. I am reaching out to ask if anyone has connections with a publisher or illustrator that would be interested in this work. I would also love to hear about any books or other resources on this topic that you enjoyed. Thank you!

1. The range of views within the church

2. History people and discoveries that influenced big bang and evolutionary thought

3. Science surrounding those theories

Have you considered offering it as an OER?

• Like 1