Menu

Let's Tacke Pi Day Together

As someone mentioned pi day earlier thiz week, I mentioned it to dh.  Told jim I wanted to make a pie.  Well I didn't but he did- nectarine-blueberry pie we will have today.  

Why am I starting this thread so early? Becauase I tridd taking my meds yesterday morning and the 12.5 amitriptyline knocked me out and had me sleeping a lot of the day. I am about to go to sleep but I want to be up by 7am CT to watch launch.

To do

Figure out where I will be staying nexr month - dh is going overseas and the only way I can be home alone is w home care coming every day or every other day

Maje appt for blood test

Figure out other stuff like tax situation

Laundry

Call kids 

Figure out weekend plans

Eat pie

• Like 7

Good morning!  I forgot today was pi day!  I think I'll put a shepherd's pie on the menu for dinner.  It's one of those meals that everyone loves.

• dump run
  • grocery store
  • laundry
  • 10,000 steps
  • violin
  • work out
  • make early dinner
  • send ds14 off to third night of tryouts

The kid came home smiling last night.  He was more relaxed overall and felt he did well enough.  Plus, about a quarter of the kids have already dropped for various reasons.  DH said the hockey mom talk in the bleachers was full of words like "shell shocked" and "insane" to describe the experience of the first round.  The rec kids were not comfortable with the pace of the work at all.  I get it.  One of the teams ds played on before makes it a point to never give their kids full ice access during practice, doing 1/3 or 1/2 at most.  It means the kids from there are skilled in close work, but have no stamina and lose speed over the year.

• Like 6

Good morning, all! 

Chris, I hope you figure out the housing/care situation while your DH is out of town. 

Gray blah morning here....so, my list:
...coffee
...yesterday's list -- undo the text on the quilt, redo it, make one of DS's characters, make the letters for DS's quilt
...fold/put away laundry
...Dr's appt for myself this morning  (pill refill)
...find places to put some of the things from Grandma
...grocery shop at some point
...maybe get frames for a few things while out???
...pick places to hang the things (probably not hang them till tomorrow)
...do my fencing drills
...figure out dinner/cook/eat
...go to fencing
....come home, go to bed

Likely I won't get ALL of that done, but we'll see; depends how quickly I get started; none of it *must* be done today except the Drs visit, grocery store, and of course dinner/fencing. The rest can spread over the weekend as needed, but of course the more I get done today, the more things I can add on the weekend (would like to make even more quilt progress, for ex) So, we'll see. 

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

It's 9am.  The coach has called and already offered ds a roster slot. We'll still be at tryouts tonight, dh and I, to discuss contracts.  Because, crap, now contracts are a thing.

woah! Congrats to your DS, but...contracts? For youth hockey? that's crazy (exciting, but crazy) -- I take it it's a time commitment thing, saying you'll play for them and not others? 

• Like 5

Happy Pi Day

I’ve been up for several hours. Pup has decided 6 is her wake up time.

kitchen towels laundered and put away

dog bedding in laundry

dishwasher going

Wash bath mat and rug

kids want pizza and cherry pie for pi day. I will toss a salad to go with that.

walk dog 

Work on past list that I wasn’t able to finish 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

It's 9am.  The coach has called and already offered ds a roster slot. We'll still be at tryouts tonight, dh and I, to discuss contracts.  Because, crap, now contracts are a thing.

Congratulations to your Ds! But that sounds intense! Contracts, yikes. 

• Like 6

I slept late and am sipping coffee. It’s warm and partly cloudy here.

Pi Day. I had planned chx pot pie, but Ds has snacked on the pulled chx, so now there’s not enough. Hmmm. 

Gonna try a new tomato tart recipe, maybe? 

Whatever cooking I do must be early bc I have an AHG event this evening and I need to pick up some girls on the way. I will take a salad bc the food will be carby.

My car needs an oil change. Possibly Dd’s does too?

Feeling very unfocused today. 

• Like 5

Day is very different than planned,  Had a piece of the delicious pie this morning since dh suggested we eat it instead of our usual cereal. 

Done

• morning meds done
  • Loaded dishwasher and put it on
  • Called Express Scripts and found out I couldn't get any meds since I am no longer enrolled in Tricare and they told me to call DEERS.
  • Called DEERS and found out that my dh's allotment for payment had stopped in January for some unknown reason.  That happened once before. Told me to call Humana Tricare and pay for reenrollment. That would cover us from February to December 2024
  • Called Tricare and made payment and they told me I could count on it being active in an hour
  • Made my bed w fresh sheets 
  • Called DEERS again to check that I do have Tricare again, Yes is the answer

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Well, DH had more running around to do, so we went by Lowe's to return some stuff, went & vacuumed  my car out, went to my appt, did the grocery shopping, went by the nursery for an apple tree, and now are finally home. Whew! 

Eating lunch, taking a nap, and then we'll see what gets done on the list. 

• Like 7

Insurance woes are the worst. 

We are having homemade pizza tonight for pi day.

drop kid4 off for bus to tournament (excused from school)

renew car tags & emissions test for vehicle

dishes

pay metro taxes

morning half of school

Youngest to activity

afternoon half of school

make pizza

finish vacuuming and dusting

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 7

I brought pumpkin and chocolate pies to preschool to celebrate Pi Day. Not that they have any understanding of what pi is.  I told them it was a special number that goes on and on forever and starts with 3.14159. I also took two knives to school to cut said pies and put them somewhere safe and now they’ve traveled to another dimension and are missing. Grr.  

I am not sure how to celebrate Ides of March at preschool. I have a Tshirt I will wear but not sure I should tell them the story of Ides of March. (I did tell them the story of Odysseus and Nobody earlier this week, which they found hilarious.). 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Congratulations to your Ds! But that sounds intense! Contracts, yikes. 

It's...different.  They sent over a 6 page contract for us to look through.  We sent back a list of questions not answered in it. And we haven't told ds. That's a discussion in the next half hour or so. Dh told me on Tuesday night, when they left, ds said, "I don't belong here, dad."  He felt it was that bad.  So, I think knowing he was wanted will be a huge boost to his self esteem, regardless of what he actually decides in the end.  The downside is that he wouldn't be allowed to play rec, or high school JV.  He'd be giving that up for at least the next year or two.  He wouldn't be with anyone he knows, either, because he'd be playing for a team that pulls from all areas.  So taking a slightly socially anxious kid and dropping him in a higher level of play can be an emotional challenge to face. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

CONGRATS!!!!  That is awesome.  How is this different than his other team?  Is he going to take it?   Contracts???  Nuts.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

CONGRATS!!!!  That is awesome.  How is this different than his other team?  Is he going to take it?   Contracts???  Nuts.   

The team he's on plays for fun.  The kids are 13-15yo and some will also join their high school team while others will either continue rec only or just peter out.  I was a little startled this year when the parents from the other team brought juice boxes and snack packs for their kids, like in soccer.  So it's that kind of relaxed play with volunteer coaches.

This one has 4 levels and paid coaching staff.  The lowest level is two above what ds is playing now.  That's where he'd be placed.  The highest level of kids are prepping for juniors or college while splitting the season with high school. Stats are kept on every kid, giving them an individual picture of how they're doing.

DH did some sleuthing and poking around.  He vaguely recognized one of the coaches.  Turns out one of the new directors is the first professional player ds worked with so I'd be willing to bet the coach was one of his assistants.  They have touched in with his progress over the years, so it's nice to see a familiar face again.

DS is currently thinking things over, but he is thrilled that he was chosen. 🙂 

• Like 5

Did a heap o’admin!

Dental appts, attorney inquiry (We need new wills, POA etc.), insurance and mortgage things, YNAB, youth trip registration, and a few other things.

Took a piece of the tart to a neighbor. It is good, but the crust in the center was a bit soggier/less crisp than I like. Making hot tea and having another piece…

Later:
Pick up cheap pb at the grocery
AHG tonight

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

The team he's on plays for fun.  The kids are 13-15yo and some will also join their high school team while others will either continue rec only or just peter out.  I was a little startled this year when the parents from the other team brought juice boxes and snack packs for their kids, like in soccer.  So it's that kind of relaxed play with volunteer coaches.

This one has 4 levels and paid coaching staff.  The lowest level is two above what ds is playing now.  That's where he'd be placed.  The highest level of kids are prepping for juniors or college while splitting the season with high school. Stats are kept on every kid, giving them an individual picture of how they're doing.

DH did some sleuthing and poking around.  He vaguely recognized one of the coaches.  Turns out one of the new directors is the first professional player ds worked with so I'd be willing to bet the coach was one of his assistants.  They have touched in with his progress over the years, so it's nice to see a familiar face again.

DS is currently thinking things over, but he is thrilled that he was chosen. 🙂 

He should be!!  Yay for him.  What an accomplishment.   And what an opportunity.  Hard choice though on the things that he would lose doing this.   How long does he get to decide?  

• Like 5

@HomeAgain, what an honor to have been chosen!!! I hope he will be happy with whatever decision he makes! 

@TravelingChris, praying you figure out the best situation while dh is gone. 

@prairiewindmomma, I'm sorry for the insurance woes! 

Happy Pi Day!!! 

We are going to get a pie for dessert when we go out soon. 

We have really enjoyed our trip so far. We visited a train depot museum and the Okefenokee wildlife refuge on our way down. We are relaxing and enjoying the island here in Florida. My sister has been here a few times before and loves it. She is considering renting a house this fall and early winter to see what living here is like because she might consider moving here. 

Ds says his trip has been amazing. He's sent a few pictures, so I'll post some. 

• Like 7

More done

Called Publix and found out they do stock Enbrel

Called rheumatologist's nurse, gave her the number forTricare  Express Scripts prior-authorization line

She called me back to saying Express Scripts okayed the Enbrel again and she was calling Publix so I can get it before next Thursday

Found out what my payoal bill was for

Unloaded dishwasher and have been reloading

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

@ScoutTN, mathematics badge??!!! That sounds like fun! 

They had to collect prices for small, medium, and large pizzas from three restaurants, then see which was the best value by calculating price per square inch.

Then, for a different requirement, they had to convert a dessert recipe from Imperial to metric measurements and make it. They chose a pie, to fit with the day. 

They have also researched careers that use math and the use of statistics in sports.

• Like 3