Menu

March Mayhem, the gardening and green thumb version. Come inside fellow plant people.

Got back from the rocket launch last night rather tired and fell immediately to sleep. Good launch though and tons of fun in the sun.

Today, I am setting up the seed starting thing. Last year I only managed to successfully start cucumbers (4 plants and it was PLENTY for us), and 4 broccoli. Nothing else came up, and I think I know what I did wrong. Think. No certainty there. So I bought all my other plants at the nursery.

I have a curbside pick up for 2 more trays (I will keep them and reuse every year until they crack and are no good), and a bag of good soil in 2 hrs, then sowing will commence.

I am going to start with 6 cherry tomatoes and 6 cucumber ( and hope 4 germinate and grow strong), 16 broccoli, 8 bell peppers, 8 snow peas, 8 sugar snap peas, 8 butter lettuce, and the rest to as many green bean plants as I have space. We have two grow lights:  two trays on the shelf in the picture, and 2 on the shelf above, and I think that comes to 16 pots per tray. The cherry tomatoes will be started in the bigger cardboard pots and placed on some old saucers/plates. The spider plant and both aloes will end up on the top shelf which has a ton of light. The spider is up there now and thriving.

IF I am successful, this will leave me direct seeding sunflowers, sweet corn, more green beans, carrots (in rows in front of the peas, one week apart), radishes (same way), chives, and scallions. I will buy 16 Amish paste tomatoes, 8 basil, 4 oregano, 16 nasturtiums, 16 marigolds, 6 celery plants, 4 mint, and 2 more blueberry bushes.

So far so good in terms of my apple trees NOT budding out. The only reason they haven't done it during these insane warm snaps that were shattering February records was the overnight lows still got down to 32-35 degrees (0-1.67C) at night, and if the temp was going to move and maybe go a degree above at night depending on conditions in our little town, I ran a sprinkler on them to cool the branches. 

Of course the best laid plans of mice and men not to mention green things probably still viewing me with disdain and fear, I could end up buying ALL my plants!

IMG_20240303_114945.jpg

• Like 5

Some gentle advice…Watch your timing on sprouting to transplant time. Some things take a lot longer to get to that point. Broccoli is usually in the 4-6 week window for us, but lettuce is about 3 weeks. Tomato is 6-8 weeks. If you start too early, they get super leggy. We usually start, repot at 4 weeks or so, and then really struggle still to give them the amount of light they need. We harden them off starting at week 6 and then plant.

48 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Some gentle advice…Watch your timing on sprouting to transplant time. Some things take a lot longer to get to that point. Broccoli is usually in the 4-6 week window for us, but lettuce is about 3 weeks. Tomato is 6-8 weeks. If you start too early, they get super leggy. We usually start, repot at 4 weeks or so, and then really struggle still to give them the amount of light they need. We harden them off starting at week 6 and then plant.

Thanks. Good to know. I am prepared to plant the broccoli bty the end of May because I have a big row cover should we have a cold snap. I will also be able to put tomatoes in 8 weeks from now because we have covers. I could hold off on green beans because those could be directed sown and still harvesting at the right time for mom and I to can before we get hammered with tomatoes.

Would you wait on cucumber, lettuce, and bell peppers? I know that the peas for sure are going out in 6-8 weeks because it will be consistently in the 50's and 60's during the day, and we have a sheet we can drape over their trellises if it was going to deep freeze. Seems like last year they absolutely loved, cool springtime. Everything will be in the ground by the end of the 2nd week of May with my mom watching over it because we have a volunteer thing we are doing Virginia.

I am going to use a fan, from a distance, to produce a breeze after they are a couple inches tall to help them develop strong stems. My cukes last year started out as weaklings when transplanted.

• Like 1

Faith, I'm seed-starting cukes and squash here this weekend. The tomatoes and peppers are 5 weeks old. I expect to transplant the cukes and squash much sooner, 2-3 weeks from now. I could wait til then to start from seed outdoors, but the roly-polys eat young sprouts. Last year I had a hard time getting beans up, because the stoopid roly-polys kept nibbling them off....for goodness sake!  

The onions are going great guns--my first time planting onion sets -- and I should have planted potatoes several weeks ago, but we had dig out and replace the bedding soil...did I mention how fun it is, how impossible it is, to grow in black clay? The only thing that happily grows in that area is okra. I have high hopes for it now that we refilled the bed. It should improve over time, but potatoes have a reputation of improving the soil where they grow, so I thought I'd give that a try. And they don't mind onions grown in with them...

The new adventure is citrus trees. They will stay potted, and we'll over-winter them indoors. We're in the process of cutting the tops off of 15 gallon barrels with handles on them, and I will up-pot into those barrels as soon as I get Dr. Mani's Super Soil (for citrus) brought up from South Texas by a friend who is making a trip anyway.  (Thank you, friend!!) With the handles left on the barrels, it should be a breeze moving them in and out, so they will live the life of Riley indoors and outdoors, according to our weather. 

Thanks for starting these threads...it's fun hearing what everyone is doing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m outside right now working on my 6x8 greenhouse. Almost done! I think I’ll shade a spot in there and put some greens seeds in this week.  
Grow rack is growing.  
My garden beds were not put to bed neatly, so I have a lot to do whenever the next dry, warmish day is.

I’m trying to decide whether to order fruit trees or just give Lowe’s a whirl.

I want to try grapes this year.

Definitely need small evergreens for my front garden. It looked pathetic this winter, lol. 

It’s hard to watch warmer people get going and not take risks to feel on track!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Will it make a difference that I am planting them in a new raised bed with soil that has been warmed? After adding the soil, Mark is putting some old windows we have over top of the beds to contain heat sort of like a cold frame. He was expecting the soil to be 65-70 by the end of April. I have a hooper house I could keep over the transplants at night.

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Faith, I'm seed-starting cukes and squash here this weekend. The tomatoes and peppers are 5 weeks old. I expect to transplant the cukes and squash much sooner, 2-3 weeks from now. I could wait til then to start from seed outdoors, but the roly-polys eat young sprouts. Last year I had a hard time getting beans up, because the stoopid roly-polys kept nibbling them off....for goodness sake!  

The onions are going great guns--my first time planting onion sets -- and I should have planted potatoes several weeks ago, but we had dig out and replace the bedding soil...did I mention how fun it is, how impossible it is, to grow in black clay? The only thing that happily grows in that area is okra. I have high hopes for it now that we refilled the bed. It should improve over time, but potatoes have a reputation of improving the soil where they grow, so I thought I'd give that a try. And they don't mind onions grown in with them...

The new adventure is citrus trees. They will stay potted, and we'll over-winter them indoors. We're in the process of cutting the tops off of 15 gallon barrels with handles on them, and I will up-pot into those barrels as soon as I get Dr. Mani's Super Soil (for citrus) brought up from South Texas by a friend who is making a trip anyway.  (Thank you, friend!!) With the handles left on the barrels, it should be a breeze moving them in and out, so they will live the life of Riley indoors and outdoors, according to our weather. 

Thanks for starting these threads...it's fun hearing what everyone is doing!

I fight with clay soil too. Cabbage seems to prefer it, so there’s that. I’m trying to break it up a bit with sweet potatoes and daikon radishes, but mostly I mix soil and build it up. 

I didn’t do any winter sowing this year. Some years I have 70-90 jugs planted by now. I did get some indoor seeds going today so it’s a start. I did 5 different kinds of tomatoes and 5 different peppers. I planted 5 cells of each.  I also have my sweet potato slips going.  It’s a start. I found my grow lights but didn’t set them up yet. I figure I have a few days at least. I need to find my heat mat. 

Next I’ll start kale, lettuce, cabbage, and onions. I need to get over to my garden plot and see what’s going on over there. I’m sure there’s tons of work to do. I should get some potatoes in the ground. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Will it make a difference that I am planting them in a new raised bed with soil that has been warmed? After adding the soil, Mark is putting some old windows we have over top of the beds to contain heat sort of like a cold frame. He was expecting the soil to be 65-70 by the end of April. I have a hooper house I could keep over the transplants at night.

If the soil is warmer, then plants can go out earlier.

I'm in central NC, and I started peppers, tomatoes and eggplant today. The tray goes on a heat mat under grow lights, on the second floor where it is warmer. I've also started several things via the winter sowing method in milk jugs -- broccoli, lettuce, chard, and some frilly mustards. I've also started some flowers this way -- alyssum & ageratum.  I wanted to plan some cardinal flower seeds, but alas, they need cold stratification and I was too late.

I'm currently harvesting broccoli that my DH and I babied through the winter, with DH even putting out a heat hose on some of the coldest nights and then putting sheets over it. The lowest we got this year was 13, and the broccoli pulled through just fine.  I also overwintered some lettuce, covering it when it got especially cold.  And I've got a large pot full of all-volunteer mache that is the result of letting some plants go to seed last year.  Mache is a total winter lettuce, I think it goes down to 5 degrees, and I never covered it at all.  It will go to seed as soon as it gets warm. Mache is not very common in the US, but it is very common in Europe, where it is also a weed!

My plums are just starting to flower.  We only get plums every few years due to late frosts, but I have high hopes this year.  They are blooming two weeks later than usual, and the long range forecast is looking promising.  But I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because I could see us getting a deep freeze at the end of March.  It happens. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If the soil is warmer, then plants can go out earlier.

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice. I am so new to all of this.

Also, just so everyone knows. I am zone 6a now. I grew up right here, in this exact location, and as a child we were 4B with some years behaving a little more like 5A because of insulation from Lake Huron. That is how much things have changed. It is strange for us because what I do know about gardening and crop production from my childhood, from puttering around my grandparents' huge garden, my uncle's apple orchard, and listening to them talk is very different, and closer now to what the U.P. of Michigan is experiencing. So much change.

Thankfully, I have an updated gardening book as well as a homesteading tome that were written in the last two years, and have new calendars and instructions. I do find that the raised bed method and hugelkulture does mean adjusting since a lot of the advice is for in ground, traditional gardens. I really need some classes!!!

It is 58 degrees outside. El Nino is making me question everything. This is just not normal. Of course, we could still see a freeze, not just a frost, a real deep freeze. It feels very unsettling.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Dh is still doing all the veggie Harding

I am able to do the flower gardens with some twins help because they are close to the house.

Melissa, I am so sorry you aren't up to the vegetable garden yet. But I want to say, we were all so very worried about you, and hearing that you can get into the flower garden and the twins are helping is just so encouraging to your fan base. We are rooting for you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's always an adventure in my area!

I was planning to plant out the 5 week old tomato seedlings in 8A/B, but we've had a threat of hail for 2 consecutive nights. A forecast of 1 inch of rain and stormy weather with a chance of hail turned into 4 inches of rain, stormy weather, and several episodes of small hail, pretty light, but enough to damage seedlings. Then we had a night of mid-40s low, but with damaging winds (desiccating winds) and danger of frost.  One of my little citrus trees -- oddly enough the one rated for coolest temps -- is really looking sad on the most tender, new growth. All those small leaves are shriveled and the twigs holding them are droopy. The rest of the citrus did fine, as I had them all under the cover of the porch. But even that mid-40s with stiff wind caused damage. Sigh.

My poor seedlings are all tall and at the limit of their 4inch pots = roots look fine, but they're trying to blossom. They're only 5 weeks old. I don't know how in the world they are supposed to make it to 8 weeks in 4inch pots, the way they've grown! I'm going to have to plant out and use frost cloth.

I'd just plant later, but it's a race to get fruit set before the weather gets too hot for the plants to set fruit. This is a challenging area to grow in.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

It's always an adventure in my area!

I was planning to plant out the 5 week old tomato seedlings in 8A/B, but we've had a threat of hail for 2 consecutive nights. A forecast of 1 inch of rain and stormy weather with a chance of hail turned into 4 inches of rain, stormy weather, and several episodes of small hail, pretty light, but enough to damage seedlings. Then we had a night of mid-40s low, but with damaging winds (desiccating winds) and danger of frost.  One of my little citrus trees -- oddly enough the one rated for coolest temps -- is really looking sad on the most tender, new growth. All those small leaves are shriveled and the twigs holding them are droopy. The rest of the citrus did fine, as I had them all under the cover of the porch. But even that mid-40s with stiff wind caused damage. Sigh.

My poor seedlings are all tall and at the limit of their 4inch pots = roots look fine, but they're trying to blossom. They're only 5 weeks old. I don't know how in the world they are supposed to make it to 8 weeks in 4inch pots, the way they've grown! I'm going to have to plant out and use frost cloth.

I'd just plant later, but it's a race to get fruit set before the weather gets too hot for the plants to set fruit. This is a challenging area to grow in.

That sounds like a crazy maker!

Our ground is at 44F, needs to be 50 in order to put rhubarb plants out. Our plants are very very old and not producing so I want to buy 2 new ones and get them in before we leave for the wedding on the 28th. I have row cover so if there is a chance of deep enough cold to injury them, my mom can cover them. But still too cold. I have some old windows with really nice wood frame, and am considering covering that patch of ground in windows to help it heat up. The downside is that it is in an area that could get falling tree branches if we had high winds, and we have had terrible bouts of high wind very regularly. Just nutty. The best laid plans of mice and men.....

I hope things get better very quickly so you can get your plants out.

This afternoon, a lettuce sprout popped up. I have been feeling very self satisfied. 🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

That sounds like a crazy maker!

Our ground is at 44F, needs to be 50 in order to put rhubarb plants out. Our plants are very very old and not producing so I want to buy 2 new ones and get them in before we leave for the wedding on the 28th. I have row cover so if there is a chance of deep enough cold to injury them, my mom can cover them. But still too cold. I have some old windows with really nice wood frame, and am considering covering that patch of ground in windows to help it heat up. The downside is that it is in an area that could get falling tree branches if we had high winds, and we have had terrible bouts of high wind very regularly. Just nutty. The best laid plans of mice and men.....

I hope things get better very quickly so you can get your plants out.

This afternoon, a lettuce sprout popped up. I have been feeling very self satisfied. 🤣

Huw Richards talks about stapling down black row-cover to warm the ground a few (2-3) degrees, then plant right before you leave? Best wishes!

• Thanks 1

I am now up to 1 bell pepper, 8 lettuce, 2 sugar snap peas, and 2 broccoli having sprouted. Onwards and upwards. I am making sure that the grow lights are on my new seedlings for 8 hrs a day or a little more just to make sure they don't get leggy. Of course they are still very small.

Fingers crossed for more new babies tomorrow!

• Like 1

We had a crazy windstorm and our fruit tree shade structures and some other garden stuff were damaged.

The soil is still too gloppy to direct seed. We dont have standing water like we did 6 years ago before all of our soil regeneration work, but the ground is SO spongy right now I dont dare walk around because I will compact stuff. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Yesterday morning Twin 2 and I tackled removing a very large and wild tomato plant. We got it done, but I was so exhausted that I only just managed to make it back to the house then slept for over 5 hours.😲😲

I am so sorry you were worn right down from doing that! Hugs

• Like 1

I have neglected my garden for MONTHS and am trying to dig myself out of a hole. I haven't even cut back the dead growth on my switchgrass.

My cabbage never headed (although it looks lovely and big) and now it's bolted b/c our daytime temps are in the 70s. Same for my broccoli and brussels sprouts. My kale, collards, and mustard greens are still ok...for now. Pests are becoming an issue again for the raised beds, not the plants in the ground. I planted some early girl tomatoes and jalapeno peppers already. I put my bush and pole beans in the ground (although no rain in the forecast the soil is still moist). I have volunteer tomato and dill seedlings from things that were left in the beds last year. In the past, I pulled everything out, added compost and mulch but I was lazy. I'm not sure what to expect for yields this year. I've been collecting grounds from Starbucks and will add some additional amendments as top dressing and hope for the best. I tried overwintering eggplant and peppers...we'll see if it works. My lemongrass overwintered, as did my artichoke plant. 'They' say we're are Zone 8a/b but judging from my results last year, I think we're fully Zone 9.

Last month, I had a crew clean out my backyard beds and hack off a TON (under and over) from my camellias, azaleas, aucuba, euonymus and whatever else was back there. They look like bald headed stumps but they’re super hardy and will grow back just fine (tamed). This weekend, I got all of my decorative pots refreshed (my spike plants overwintered...it was soooo mild!!).  I put in some flag grass, heuchera and sedum in the shadier spots, and next weekend I'll transplant some lenten roses. In the sunnier spots, I put in a couple of rosemary and lavender plants. My marsh marigolds are already in full bloom. I want to add a dwarf citrus tree in that bed too. Some of the liriope I transplanted two years ago are finally growing. Now, of course, I don't want them there, so I need to find them a new home.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I took my first visit of the season to my community garden plot/ allotment yesterday and began weeding it to prep for spring planting. I got about 1/4 of it done. My garlic is sprouting but my rosemary didn’t make it through the winter. I took over some professional weight weed cloth and a propane torch (to cut it without it fraying) because I’m not messing around with the weeds this year. 

At home under the grow lights I have sprouts for tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, cabbage, kale, and lettuce. My sweet potato slips are doing well. So far everything but the jalapeños have sprouted. 

Yesterday I started seeds for parsley, cut flowers, and onions. I can get some of the cooler weather stuff outside in a few more weeks but we really can’t put tomatoes and peppers out until Mother’s Day.  I need to start basil soon or just plan to buy it, but I’m running out of grow light space. 

• Like 4

Last year I diligently sorted and labed my tulip bulbs for my different garden areas so I could keep my colors consistent through the season. My husband didn't follow my example so I have a few of the wrong the color of tulips coming up in part of my garden. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal but it just looks so very wrong. I am debating moving them now instead of waiting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Here tulips bulbs have to be protected from squirrels and deer. We are absolutely overrun with squirrels and deer. At least they don’t bother crocuses or daffodils. 

They will not eat alliums and hyacinth either so I mix them in with my tulips. That and planting the tulips deep helps keep them from being attacked. 

• Like 1

So, uhm, I feel bad. My lettuce seedlings are leggy and flopping over. I found out that maybe I could revive them by adding some more soil at their base, lowering the grow lights (apparently 5" from their stupid ears is not low enough), and putting a fan on them to stimulate breeze which might make them grow thicker stems.

All this fussing (while staring at melting snow after also stocking the wood boiler) made me cranky, and I yelled at them, "Grow better!" using my best Crowley voice. (Good Omens)

My plants will probably hurt themselves now. Such is the way between me and green things. I have tried so hard though!

The broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and peas look great. Everyone is in a much bigger cardboard pot than the pots they come in from the nursery so I don't think they will need to be re-potted before going outside. But the peas are putting out tendrils! I had to give them each a chopstick to grow on! 😱

They better be okay. They all need to be okay. I leave Thursday for a wedding out of state, and then the eclipse. I won't be back until April 9. My dear dil will be taking care of them, but she has ZERO experience with plants. 

Those peas are going into the raised bed April 10 even if I am exhausted from a 15 hour drive on the 9th. Hopefully, since lettuce is a cool weather thing, they will be big enough to go out as well. I have row covers if needed.

Stupid lettuce!

• Haha 1

I use my inner Crowley also.

My tomato seedlings are doing well, and most of my others are well. Last year I was able to start a ton of zinnias indoors which gave us a jump start on pollination of my tomatoes, but this year I am really struggling to get my zinnias to germinate. I think my house may be too cold. 

We are starting to taper off on our rain, so hopefully we can start seeding directly soon. 

My blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries, apple trees, peach tree and cherry tree are all leafing out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Here tulips bulbs have to be protected from squirrels and deer. We are absolutely overrun with squirrels and deer. At least they don’t bother crocuses or daffodils. 

I have to protect all my gardens from kangaroos, wallabies and deer.  Fences everywhere. The vegetable garden has a fence over the top to protected it from bower birds and the orchard is fully fenced  over or we would never get any fruit because of parrots

• Like 1

Learning curve: did you know that raccoons pick a spot and establish a "racoon latrine".  It's a very good, non-optional use for N95s when one is picking up what they leave behind. I also dug out the old bottle of predator urine in my shed, and put that to good use, and no more deposits overnight. I'll switch to peppermint oil when that arrives, and hope breaking them of the habit goes fairly quickly.

I'm finishing planting out my overgrown seedlings, and then I'll need to replenish and start sunflower seedlings indoors. (Roly-polies are a menace.)

I've emptied a compost bin, and feel like a rich woman. I'm making homemade Mel's mix (shredded coco coir, compost, and vermiculite) for all the pots and raised beds, and it's the most lovely thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have to protect all my gardens from kangaroos, wallabies and deer.  Fences everywhere. The vegetable garden has a fence over the top to protected it from bower birds and the orchard is fully fenced  over or we would never get any fruit because of parrots

You have soooo  many critters! It had to be a crazy maker. But can I just say that with white tail deer and raccoons being the most interesting thing that comes into my yard (and rarely at that), I secretly wish I could look out and see a kangaroo just once?

😃

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I secretly wish I could look out and see a kangaroo just once?

😃

Not me. Have you seen the videos of the 'gym-rat' kangaroos? Seriously, the shoulders and pecs on those critters are fearsome. I have no desire to meet one IRL.

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

How tall is the fencing over the orchard, @Melissa in Australia? That must be an impressive sight!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Not me. Have you seen the videos of the 'gym-rat' kangaroos? Seriously, the shoulders and pecs on those critters are fearsome. I have no desire to meet one IRL.

The greys are fine. I once had two sparring down the hill below my lounge room window, with a swamp wallaby watching them.

I have no desire to meet a red face to face though. They are big!