Menu

What to read out loud after A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

madteaparty

The catch is that I need to enjoy it too. I work like 80 hours a week but read aloud time is special and can’t be one more chore as we both have enough of those… 

prefer fiction but we do have non fiction lined up as well (we read 2-3 books at a time): Hidden Figures and Brave the Wild River for non fiction and Count of Monte Cristo for fiction. Tween girl. Others? 🙏

• Like 1

A few that both DD13 and I love:

The Goblin Emperor (Addison)

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Willis)

Beauty (McKinley)

Annals of the Western Shore trilogy (Gifts, Voices, and Powers by Le Guin)

A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Junie said:

Just a head's up about Hidden Figures... The movie is so much better than the book.  The book felt like a slog and I was very disappointed in it, especially since I had really enjoyed the movie.

Agree. Another one of those space industry related reads "Failure is not an Option" was another hard slog. Okay, Gene. I love that you were a test pilot and all the things. But I do not need the minutiae of engineering in every single thing NASA and friends flew. I say this as someone who is pursuing a degree in Aerospace engineering. It was DRY and plodding.

But Scott Kelly's book was great! I would have read it to my tweens, but I know not all folks would. Language and what not.

• Thanks 1

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

My Side of the Mountain

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basel E. Frankweiler

The Earthsea Series 

Cold Sassy Tree

eta if you’re looking for an easy French series, Les messagers du temps was a hit here

Sorry for being too lazy to add the authors. Also, I can’t say I remember exactly what age these are for, I just remember they were favorites here.

Edited by bibiche
  • Thanks 1

What about Jacob, Have I Loved?  It's about two sisters, one grappling with understanding how her parents support her as she sees her sister being given love and attention.  It's thought provoking, but not heavy.  It follows a teen into early adulthood.  And if you like it, there's always Christy, about a naive schoolteacher at the turn of the century in Appalachia.

For non-fiction, try The Prize-Winner of Defiance, Ohio. Written by the daughter about her mother, it details how contesting was part of many housewives' lives in the 1950s and how her mother coped with many children, an alcoholic husband, and living near poverty.  It's more positive than it sounds, and there is a movie about it, but the book has several additions like pictures of the family and contesting entry forms dotting the pages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Just a head's up about Hidden Figures... The movie is so much better than the book.  The book felt like a slog and I was very disappointed in it, especially since I had really enjoyed the movie.

I didn't enjoy it either, but I did like The Astronauts Wives Club.  Not science driven, but the uncharted territory they were in is an interesting piece of history itself.

• Thanks 1

I agree with ‘Joy In The Morning’ by the author of your current book.  It’s lovely.

”An Old Fashioned Girl” is a lesser known Louisa May Alcott book that I still love.

”Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and me, Elizabeth” is fantastic.

”The Changling” is also outstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Amoret said:

The Goblin Emperor (Addison)

A second vote for this! My daughter first read it at about age fourteen, and it foolishly took me another five or so years to read it. We both regularly reread it now.

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Agree. Another one of those space industry related reads "Failure is not an Option" was another hard slog. Okay, Gene. I love that you were a test pilot and all the things. But I do not need the minutiae of engineering in every single thing NASA and friends flew. I say this as someone who is pursuing a degree in Aerospace engineering. It was DRY and plodding.

But Scott Kelly's book was great! I would have read it to my tweens, but I know not all folks would. Language and what not.

Thanks both for the heads-up. Definitely don’t need a slog at bedtime. We are in the middle of Immune for non-fiction and it’s the opposite of a slog! 

11 hours ago, bibiche said:

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

My Side of the Mountain

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basel E. Frankweiler

The Earthsea Series 

Cold Sassy Tree

eta if you’re looking for an easy French series, Les messagers du temps was a hit here

Sorry for being too lazy to add the authors. Also, I can’t say I remember exactly what age these are for, I just remember they were favorites here.

Ooh, Calpurnia Tate is a good one. Did that with my son, need to dig it out. She’s already read most of the rest except no LeGuin here yet. And thanks for the French suggestion, always looking for easy French stuff esp with accompanying audio! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

except no LeGuin here yet

Just a heads up -- if you decide to do the Earthsea books, I would personally just stick to the early trilogy with a preteen, especially if she is sensitive and this is bedtime reading that you are looking for. I love the later ones (especially the novels), but they are about the characters as they age and not as relevant to younger readers, I think, and there is one child who is the victim of violent abuse. It is not gratuitous or graphically depicted, but it's there.