Menu

s/o my previous insurance thread

ProudGrandma

Thanks to all of the wonderful people in the hive that gave me their opinion on the shared medical cost companies.  My conclusion is to move on to another idea.  

This is our situation.  My husband is self-employed and we need to look into cheaper medical insurance.  We do not have any health problems.  We have 3 kids..daughter who is married and while her husband is in grad school we were keeping her on our insurance (which we can do until she turns 26) and 2 college aged sons. 

we would need dental, eye and prescription coverage too. 

My husband is in his low 60's and I am in my mid 50's. 

If you have insurance that is not provided by employment, what do you have? 

thanks. 

Check local colleges and universities for their health insurance plan. Not every state has it, but... In some states insurance is required for all students, and in them public colleges and universities often have very cheap group coverage for students and employees. At a community college close to us it is less than $500/year, and you only have to take one  1-credit class per term to qualify. I'm sure the deductible is enormous for anything that isn't preventative or going to the (free) student health clinic, but it's very cheap option if it's in your area. DH took one class at a community college after he graduated from University just so he could get their insurance (though back then it was more like $79 per term), and we know several adults who took classes for cheap insurance when they started their own businesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not to derail the thread, but can you really keep your kid on your insurance when they are married, when it’s their spouse in school?  I thought they needed their own insurance if they got married.  I hope I’m wrong on this, because my oldest may be in this situation in the next year or 2.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kfeusse said:

If you have insurance that is not provided by employment, what do you have

We always used the marketplace when we weren’t employer sponsored and when employer rates were higher than the threshold.

Due to the ridiculous pricing, we received a subsidy almost every year, even with a fairly high income.

8 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Not to derail the thread, but can you really keep your kid on your insurance when they are married, when it’s their spouse in school?  I thought they needed their own insurance if they got married.  I hope I’m wrong on this, because my oldest may be in this situation in the next year or 2.

Yeah, that is our current insurance situation.  We know many people who have done it using our exact insurance.  My daughter's husband is on his parent's insurance too.  It goes until they are 26 years old....the grad school thing is our situation....it based on age for our insurance.  We are basically waiting for them to have a job where they will get insurance.   There will be one year where they will be over 26 and he will still be in school.  We aren't sure what they will do for that year yet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katy said:

Check local colleges and universities for their health insurance plan.

I highly recommend this.  We went from dh's Employer's Family Plan to Employee/Spouse Plan and saved several hundred dollars monthly.
My grad school son paid for his own from his stipend, offered to students by the university.  I think it was $150/month, b/c younger adults are healthier.
We pay for our college student's coverage, from his university. but it was a bit over $1k for the year.  LCOLA.  YMMV.

Also, the on-campus medical facilities are an added bonus---very convenient and affordable if you have the campus coverage. 

Edited by Beth S

13 hours ago, athena1277 said:

You can keep a dependent on your insurance until 26. Married, single, student or not doesn’t matter.  

My daughter is on my medical plain. She is married and her husband is active duty Air Force. She is double covered. Federal insurance will always be payor of last resort, so my insurance is primary and Tricare is secondary. 

Dental may or may not extend to 26. It is plan specific.

• Like 2

Look on marketplace. If you have kids over 18 check to see if they qualify for their own plans or even  state insurance. 

My adult son paid under $20 month for his insurance due to subsidies. 

• Like 1