Menu

8th grade planning 2024-25

It's February-are we ready to talk about next year yet? I gave ds 12 the option of doing 7th again or pushing on to 8th (he's an early fall birthday) and he wants to do 8th. My current thoughts:

Bible: read through as a family and discuss.

Math: Saxon Algebra 1. I guess I'll count this as a high school credit 😳 I am not ready to think about high school yet.

Science: Apologia Physical Science. Another high school credit.

History: we're going to do another geography year. This year we did 2 weeks per country and that was too fast. Maybe 3-4 weeks this next year. I'm thinking doing a geography-related meal with another family(s) every 6 weeks or so. And requiring some kind of output: papers, books, drawings. Not sure. This year we've just done a book and it's getting a little boring-I'll probably change it up for March/April.

English: finish Analytical Grammar, finish Figuratively Speaking, Vocab from Classical Roots B,C. I'm going to have him do some handwriting practice and tie it into memory work. Maybe finish writing stands 7? Maybe creative writer? Is The Lively Art of Writing considered high school or can I do it in 8th? I'm planning to do more writing across the curriculum in preparation for high school. Reading: good books based on modern era. Maybe one progeny press or similar workbook just to get him thinking about analysis.

Language: we're going to switch up our Latin to Latin 1 which I found online (that sounds sketchy, ha, but I thought it looked good).  Greek is going to be translating a verse or two from a book of the Bible and discussing with me.

Logic: I don't know yet. Thinking toolbox? Traditional logic 1 from MP (this looks dry...)?

Misc: I'm planning on teaching a weekly art class again. I'd like to do a gentle intro to computers on Fridays with him and ds10. Maybe jousting armadillo's or some kind of fun math thing for Fridays.

Look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing!

• Like 1

My older kid has always worked a year or more ahead of his age-grade, so we discussed skipping 8th. Ultimately, we decided instead to do an interest-based year for 8th.

He is currently in the second half of AOPS Intro to Algebra. We are thinking of getting their Counting and Probability for next year. 

Easy Grammar for review all year. We have done 7 years of Rod and Staff English (2-8) and he can take a big break on this. We'll also review our EFTRU cards for word roots. 

His big point of study will be ornithology. We are planning to take classes from Cornell's program, and I have found a number of texts, as well. His writing will come in here. There are also some modeling and art projects I have planned based on birds. 

We got MB's Foundations in Worship as a hymn/poetry source, in addition to regular Bible reading. 

I also bought a Thinking Tree funschooling journal for him to use all year. It's one of the core journals that repetitively asks for world news, handwriting practice, researching jobs, menu plans, studying animals, copywork of classics, etc. 3 pages a day is probably the goal. 

I don't have his reading list ready yet. I only have 4 maybes. That's on my summer to-do list. He'll read anything I assign, but won't read much on his own if I don't. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's too early to talk about next year -- when we hit the 2nd semester blahhhs, I find inspiration in figuring out how to improve the choices we're making for that next year:):).  

Here's the plan so far for our soon-to-be-8th grader:

Math:  Geometry (Jacobs) through Veritas Press

English: Composition 1 through Veritas Press

History/Literature/Bible:  Veritas Press Omnibus 1 (at-home option only, no live class)

Science: Novare Life Science

Latin: Latin 1 (Wheelock) through Veritas Press 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

My older kid has always worked a year or more ahead of his age-grade, so we discussed skipping 8th. Ultimately, we decided instead to do an interest-based year for 8th.

I love that idea. I'll have to see if ds12 wants to do another year of 8th next year 

On 2/8/2024 at 11:10 PM, LauraClark said:

It's February-are we ready to talk about next year yet? I gave ds 12 the option of doing 7th again or pushing on to 8th (he's an early fall birthday) and he wants to do 8th. My current thoughts:

<snip>

History: we're going to do another geography year. This year we did 2 weeks per country and that was too fast. Maybe 3-4 weeks this next year. I'm thinking doing a geography-related meal with another family(s) every 6 weeks or so. And requiring some kind of output: papers, books, drawings. Not sure. This year we've just done a book and it's getting a little boring-I'll probably change it up for March/April.

I always appreciate hearing your choices, because we have several same-age kids and tend to make some similar choices.

We're doing Art of Argument at the moment (7th) for logic and I'd recommend it, but particularly if you can get a few kids together so there are more opportunities to discuss.

For your geography year, perhaps you'd find some good ideas in Beautiful Feet's new World Geography and Ecology course, aimed at 7th-9th graders?

My tentative plans are:

Dimensions 8 + Mindset Mathematics 8

Writing With Skill 3

Monthly Center for Lit style book club with friends

CAP's Everyday Debate and Discussion

K12 Human Odyssey ancients plus WTM style reading list... I have SWB's History of the World Ancients as well...

Earth Science.  Undecided whether to use the Berean book which is aimed at 8th grade, or try the K-6 Apologia one with siblings and beef it up to 8th grade level with extra reading and writing.  

Foreign language: we'll finish up Keep Going With Latin this year.  I'd prefer to continue on to Linney's Latin Class, but I could be convinced to let this kid swap to German if the desire is still there in a couple of months.

Extracurriculars: rocketry club, karate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

We're doing Art of Argument at the moment (7th) for logic and I'd recommend it, but particularly if you can get a few kids together so there are more opportunities to discuss.

For your geography year, perhaps you'd find some good ideas in Beautiful Feet's new World Geography and Ecology course, aimed at 7th-9th graders?

Is Art of Argument similar to Fallacy Detective? We did that one last year (mostly). Thanks for the beautiful feet recommendation-I'll check it out!

Tentative plan ...  

Math finish RightStart H begin VideoText or maybe Foresters Algebra 1..... Leaning towards VideoText .....I have both 

Continue with Calculadders at least along side RightStart H

Science Berean Builders Earth Science definitely get the audio

History Heart of Dakota Resurrection to Revolution with my own read aloud picks and my tweaking as much as I see fit;)....hay it's a starting place with map work and some other output. I may or may not use her student pages;)

Art continue with Feed My Sheep

Language Arts

AAS 5 I hope if we finish 4... It's coming but slowly

Writing Skills 2 or Medieval Writing from IEW

Season 2 of Analytical Grammar

Read books 

Piano

• Like 1

My youngest is here. 👀 

Science: OpenStax Astronomy 2e, Biozone Earth & Space and The Living Earth, extra readers like The Martian, Star Talk, Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry, etc 

History: Curiosity Chronicles medieval, adding more mature reading

Math: finish alg and later geo

English: diy diverse literature, he's dysgraphic so writing will just keep plodding on, working on the little steps while aiming at essays

Language: French on Ouino

Electives: It's an election year so we really should cover some civics and fallacies. A couple cards a week from The Thinking Shop will cover the latter. I'll need to look around for light civics.

Light strand to do with older brother: ... ? They're doing Power to the People (Mint&Bloom) this year and we've all enjoyed it. Maybe history of dance or dance around the world. 

ETA Extracurricular: all the dance classes, he's on two company teams

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After 1.25 years of public school, we are planning on homeschooling again. We are so excited 😀

He wants to complete Algebra B over the summer.

How to be a Superstar Student and Cornell notes is the first thing on the list to do. Then:

Geometry-AoPS self-study.

Physics-DO or history of science just read, do short research projects, watch videos 

Windows to the World + MCT Magic Lens 

MP Classical Studies I

World Geography-Guest Hollow (1/2 pace)

Greek-Athenaze at home

Latin-Galore Park Latin prep

MCT for poetry tea one day a week for fun and light Art of Argument discussion with videos. 

homeschool band 🤞 and martial arts

Edited by Kezia
A couple of changes
  • Like 2

I cannot believe this kid is getting ready for 8th grade!  She's a reader, so hoping to add some literature. 

Math:  Saxon 1/2, it will probably go quickly bc she's rocking 87, but I like to give more foundation at this age.  Then maybe MUS Geometry and Arbor School books 

English:  Writing with Skill 2, Fix It Grammar, maybe 7 Sisters literature units?  Still working on this.

Science:  Earth Science 🌎  Holt Textbook

History:  World Geography or Ancient History?  Maybe a mix or both!  Looking at resources and options, particularly lit based ones.  

Other:  Co-op, classes TBD

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 1

Tentative plans for DS12:

Math: He's nearly finished with MM7 so we'll probably be covering Algebra 1. I have both AOPS and Lial's sitting on my shelf so we need to look through those and decide what will be a better fit for him. 

World Geography: BYL 7 

Literature: BYL 7 + a handful of book reports

Grammar: Daily Grams 6

Spelling: Spellwell D/DD 

Writing: Write Shop F + Evan Moor's Writing Fabulous Sentences & Paragraphs

Science: He's asked for a General Science "review" before he heads into High School so I'm going to pull something together for him with Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook + our collection of science encyclopedias as a jumping off point. 

Art: a basic study of famous artists worked in with his geography studies + a set amount of time each week to just make art. I'm thinking a month each on things like drawing, pastels, water colors, acrylic paints, clay etc

Other:

Cursive - ??? Probably just a "non babyish" workbook off of Amazon

Duolingo 

Coding projects for fun

Whatever classes strike his fancy through our homeschool group 

He also really wants to up his baking game - get better at cakes and cookies and to start tackling things like pretzels, bagels, croissants/pastries etc. So we'll be spending more time in the kitchen together!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LauraClark said:

Is there anything specific you use for this?

Not really. At this point he's proficient enough that he just works on whatever he wants to. Right now, he's working on a couple of different games just to see if he can make them work/to test out his skills. He also occasionally teams up with his older brother to code various ad-ons and anti-cheats for their favorite Roblox games. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still in the planning stage...

Math: TGTB 7? or Math Mammoth 7?

Science/Nature (with her older brothers):

• Guest Hollow's Botany - we'll start this earlier to take advantage of our short summer
  • Kids' Herb Book + Boreal Herbal - identifying local plants and their uses, herbal remedies, tea blending
  • Campfire Curriculum's Natural Medicine
  • A bit of gardening, especially for our unique climate
  • Wilderness first aid & survival skills & emergency preparedness
  • Real Science Odyssey Level 2 Astronomy - winter sub-in for botany since it's too bright at night at any other time of year
  • For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study units

History: 

• Prehistory, evolution, paleontology/archaeology & mythology/cryptozoology
  • Great Canadian Adventure's Canadian Cryptids
  • BYL Prehistory unit study & Evolution unit study
  • Blossom & Root Prehistoric unit study
  • Layers of Learning Ancients 

Canadian Studies:

• Geography - Great Canadian Adventure's Canadian Geography
  • Geography - The Canadian Adventure (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - My Canadian Time Capsule (Canadian Homeschooler)
  • History - Great Canadian Adventure's Canadian History (smashbooks by province)
  • History - DIY Year 2

Language Arts:

• Excavating English (with older brothers)
  • Canadian Handwriting G
  • Lightning Lit
  • Fix It?
  • Spelling Wisdom & Using Language Well
Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2024 at 5:16 PM, SilverMoon said:

Electives: It's an election year so we really should cover some civics and fallacies.

Lol. You're not wrong. We're planning on doing US & Comparative Politics for our entering 9th and 11th graders and mixing logic into their Integrated Math I & III - the politics class was partially on purpose for election year reasons, but I hadn't made the connection with logic yet (that just happened to seem like the best thing to mix into my 11th grader's math next year and I figured I'd throw some in for the 9th grader too).

2 hours ago, luuknam said:

Lol. You're not wrong. We're planning on doing US & Comparative Politics for our entering 9th and 11th graders and mixing logic into their Integrated Math I & III - the politics class was partially on purpose for election year reasons, but I hadn't made the connection with logic yet (that just happened to seem like the best thing to mix into my 11th grader's math next year and I figured I'd throw some in for the 9th grader too).

Logic and politics are very complimentary. 😂 For my older kids (graduated now) I made a Twitter/Xitter account and just followed political figures, blue and red, local and national. We had more fodder for fallacy practice than we could ever hope to analyze. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:05 PM, AsgardCA said:
  •  
  • Prehistory, evolution, archaeology & mythology
  • BYL Prehistory unit study & Evolution unit study
  • Blossom & Root Prehistoric unit study
  •  

My youngest did an evolution and prehistory year and it was hands down one of my favorites. ❤️ If you're looking for some more books or ideas our list is on this link. 6th Extinction has a young reader now too. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:07 PM, SilverMoon said:

Logic and politics are very complimentary. 😂 For my older kids (graduated now) I made a Twitter/Xitter account and just followed political figures, blue and red, local and national. We had more fodder for fallacy practice than we could ever hope to analyze. 😄

That's a brilliant idea! 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:16 PM, SilverMoon said:

My youngest did an evolution and prehistory year and it was hands down one of my favorites. ❤️ If you're looking for some more books or ideas our list is on this link. 6th Extinction has a young reader now too. 

Thank you! Somehow it's never occurred to me to devote a semester or longer to evolution & prehistory. I've always tacked it on rather quickly at the beginning of our ancients year, and never gotten much in depth, but I think my little ones especially might like this idea.

Thank you for mentioning the young readers' Sixth Extinction! I would've probably never found it, and that's one I wouldn't want to miss.

Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 1

We used Oak Meadow for grades 6 & 7, but we’re ready for a change….

CLE Exploring Agriscience 

CLE Small Engine and Equipment Maintenance

Ancient history with younger siblings (Greenleaf and STOC). He really doesn’t need this after OM, but he said he wanted to. We will see if he’s still enthusiastic about it in August. 

Uncle Sam and You 

Fallacy Detective

CLE Reading 

CLE Diagramming book (it says elementary but he hasn’t had a lot practice with diagramming.) I might swap this out with something else later in the year. 

Rod & Staff Spelling

Winning with Writing 

Finish up CLE Math 7 and then decide where to go from there. 

Ambleside rotation from enrichment. 

Handicrafts: Machine Sewing, Stained Glass, Soapstone Carving 

Electives: Robotics, Computer Science, Typing, and Chess. 

Bible: Genesis (SOAP method).
One Year of Church History Devotional (independent) 

The younger siblings are doing No Sweat Nature Study, he can sit in on that if he wants. 

Ideally, we could add in a geography course as well. I highly doubt we can get to it, but if maybe we can add it in 2nd semester. Depends on the younger siblings needs. 

16 hours ago, AnneGG said:

We used Oak Meadow for grades 6 & 7, but we’re ready for a change….

CLE Exploring Agriscience 

CLE Small Engine and Equipment Maintenance

Ancient history with younger siblings (Greenleaf and STOC). He really doesn’t need this after OM, but he said he wanted to. We will see if he’s still enthusiastic about it in August. 

Uncle Sam and You 

Fallacy Detective

CLE Reading 

CLE Diagramming book (it says elementary but he hasn’t had a lot practice with diagramming.) I might swap this out with something else later in the year. 

Rod & Staff Spelling

Winning with Writing 

Finish up CLE Math 7 and then decide where to go from there. 

Ambleside rotation from enrichment. 

Handicrafts: Machine Sewing, Stained Glass, Soapstone Carving 

Electives: Robotics, Computer Science, Typing, and Chess. 

Bible: Genesis (SOAP method).
One Year of Church History Devotional (independent) 

The younger siblings are doing No Sweat Nature Study, he can sit in on that if he wants. 

Ideally, we could add in a geography course as well. I highly doubt we can get to it, but if maybe we can add it in 2nd semester. Depends on the younger siblings needs. 

How do you fit handicrafts and agriscience/small engine in to your schedule?

@LauraClark We do one handicraft per term. We usually get to it once or twice a week as an afternoon occupation. Sometimes they will pick them up on the weekends if there is downtime. 

I have Agriscience down four times a week, it will be his primary science. I haven’t really scheduled Small Engines. He and his dad picked this one out. I’ll probably just see how it plays out at the beginning of the year. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 10:58 PM, countrymum said:

Tentative plan ...  

Math finish RightStart H begin VideoText or maybe Foresters Algebra 1..... Leaning towards VideoText .....I have both 

Continue with Calculadders at least along side RightStart H

Science Berean Builders Earth Science definitely get the audio

History Heart of Dakota Resurrection to Revolution with my own read aloud picks and my tweaking as much as I see fit;)....hay it's a starting place with map work and some other output. I may or may not use her student pages;)

Art continue with Feed My Sheep

Language Arts

AAS 5 I hope if we finish 4... It's coming but slowly

Writing Skills 2 or Medieval Writing from IEW

Season 2 of Analytical Grammar

Read books 

Piano

I changed history back to Simply Charlotte Mason mostly. I am swapping some independent reads and adding in some of my own stuff, but mostly we will follow family history and Bible from the Middle Ages Renaissance and Reformation guide. This is instead of Heart of Dakota for everybody.

I think I'll do my own thing for writing not IEW.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As A Family

Bible: Bible Journaling

History: From Adam to Us, Draw Your World

Science: Christian Kids Explore Creation Science, Nature Journaling

Independent

Math: Derek Owen's Prealgebra

English: One Year Adventure Novel

Foreign Language: Reading Koine Greek, ULAT Spanish, Tobira Japanese

The Arts: Piano, Violin

Additions: Introductory Logic

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now that the rubber has hit the road my dude's list barely looks the same. 😂

He's asked us to step up all his subjects, so that this year could potentially count as his 9th grade year. 

Science: biology, using loads of Amoeba Sisters and reading from a standard textbook

Social studies: government, based on Openstax, Crash Course, extra readers, sprinkling of OM civics 

Math: finish Alg 1, start geo 

English: diy lit using a handful of units from Fishtank Learning, maybe an older IEW 6-8 theme level (the stories are so whitewashed.. 🤢), Writing for Social Change, Megawords 

Electives: history of science (light/trimmed BYL 8), astronomy (resources from our first 8th grade plan)

Extracurricular: competitive dance

Super light extra with brothers: more fallacies and cognitive biases 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1