Menu

hand knitted baby blankets

ProudGrandma

I want to make a homemade (knitted) baby blanket for someone special.  I am struggling with a couple things.  1) if the weave is too loose, will little toes and fingers get caught or something?  2) do people really use hand knitted blankets over flannel ones or fleece ones? 3) if I were to make one, what size is ideal?  I would love for this to be a loved item for years to come, not just used once in a while while the baby was tiny (yes, I know that is sort of up to the parents and the child...but I would love it if both would love this blanket so much that it might become their "go to" item.)  

so with that in mind, what are your thoughts on the subject?  thanks for your input on this. 

I crocheted blankets for all 13 of my grand babies.

Some became well loved and often needed repairs…and others fell in love with some else. It kind of depends on what blankets mom chooses to snuggle them  with. However, I have continued to crochet afghans as my grands have grown and they ALL love them and continue to want bigger ones as they have grown. 

Make it and  give it with love, and then let it go. 

So yes, people still give hand crafted knit/ crochet blankets . I also made flannel blankets , some of which became lovies too.

Moms need different blankets for different things.

Yes, look for a pattern that doesn’t leave large holes. I was very careful when choosing patterns. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

I crocheted blankets for all 13 of my grand babies.

Some became well loved and often needed repairs…and others fell in love with some else. It kind of depends on what blankets mom chooses to snuggle them  with. However, I have continued to crochet afghans as my grands have grown and they ALL love them and continue to want bigger ones as they have grown. 

Make it and  give it with love, and then let it go. 

So yes, people still give hand crafted knit/ crochet blankets . I also made flannel blankets , some of which became lovies too.

Moms need different blankets for different things.

Yes, look for a pattern that doesn’t leave large holes. I was very careful when choosing patterns. 

what was your favorite yarn to use?  and how big did you make them?  thanks. 

Red heart at first,  but the quality is gone downhill.

Caron  simply soft is wonderfully soft, but is thin, and takes a lot of yarn. I don’t know  how well it holds up down the road.

I do like Caron brand , and hobby lobby brand which I can’t remember.
I don’t buy expensive yarn…just not in my price range.

45 x 45 is typical size that works well. I am more of free for all when it come to sizes…

🤷‍♀️

Edited by KatieJ

They were only display pieces at my house. My kids had explosive GI systems, and I didnt want that many hours of hard work destroyed. Additionally, we have had issues with tiny bits of fiber ending up wrapped around fingers. I much preferred quilts for laying on the floor for playtime. 

By the time we had our last, we only used velcro swaddles and bagged sleep bags…no other bedding in the crib.

• Like 1

We have a few hand-made blankets that were gifts. They did not get used for snuggling or wrapping as much as fleece or flannel ones for a few reasons, one of which is the ease of washing. We did have one very lovely white crocheted one that I used for special occasions and each child's birth announcement photo. 

An easily washable knitted blanket, with a tight weave, sturdy enough for a floor blanket would get used (and I have used some for that purpose). So if I were making one for a gift (and I am a knitter, so I get the work involved), I would plan for it to be a playtime blanket, maybe something that a toddler or small child would continue to use, rather than an infant swaddling sort of blanket. 

ETA: Caron Simply Soft has a nice feel to it and says it is machine washable and dryable. I like knitting with it (I'm working on a sweater for one of my boys), but I can't say for sure how it will do in the laundry. 

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

I've crocheted dozens of baby afghans over the years.

I use Bernat's baby soft / sports-weight (3-ply) yarn to keep it light. I use machine-washable yarn. Typical size of my finished baby afghans runs about 45" wide x 50" long -- big enough to toss over sleeping baby, but small enough to not get too heavy.

I mostly use the same pattern that allows me to alternate white yarn rows with colorful variegated yarn rows, so the yarn gets "carried up" the side, and the only loose ends are at the same corner for starting/ending -- that way there are not loose ends to pull loose in the afgan.

Also, the pattern IS an open weave. Babies seem to love putting fingers and toes through the holes. No they don't get stuck if it's an open pattern. And no, it doesn't seem to ravel or pull up loops. I especially love that the open weave means there will be plenty of air flow if the baby somehow pulls it over their head while sleeping. Also, I've seen moms use these crotched afghans as a light throw over baby when nursing in public. I think most people use these crocheted baby blankets like a sofa throw, and NOT as a floor spread. Maybe some people use them just as display or as an "heirloom" hand-made item to pass down...?

I've also been crocheting a little baby hat out of the same yarn/colors to go with the baby afghan, and then get a favorite children's book to make a very personal and cozy baby gift. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I've only received blankets (my kids are 7 and 5 now). Seriously I actually appreciated all blankets. The loose knit baby blanket was great in the baby stage because the babies loved exploring the holes, later they still use it like a net my toddlers hook random things to it and have lots of fun that way, and now it's fluffier than other blankets so it's one of the blankets they like to lay down on the floor to sit on.

Fleece blankets were nice when I needed a warm blanket when we went places. Not the most cushy when placed on the floor. Good at making forts.

Quilts are by far the easiest to clean and are beautiful. Worked wonderfully on the floor with the perfect amount of flatness and cush.

Thin blankets are great for capes, and forts. 

All to say blankets are a great give no matter the type.

• Like 4

These are 2 blankets that I started.  They aren't perfect as I am just learning....but I am thinking the weave is good and so is the weight.  But I would love to hear your opinions on these.  Would you like to have a blanket like this for your little one?  The colored yarn is a Baby Bee from Hobby Lobby yarn and the blue is Premiere Puzzle yarn from Walmart.  

image.thumb.jpeg.0f7d77a8558b84da3a5a6e0d12170069.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6b5a5a49cb184651ccb409f40ebf3540.jpeg

• Like 13

One of my kids received a handmade quilt which she still uses sometimes. It’s not so explicitly babyish in design, and is big enough for a throw. I loved that quilt both for the generosity of the gift and because it was so soft and useful.

My own preference is for cotton fabric [eta that fibers would be a better word than fabric. I’m not implying that woven fabrics are better than knits or crochet, just answering the question about choice of yarns]. The crocheted baby blankets we received were such kind, loving, generous gifts, but the polyester fibers always made my skin crawl (this was twenty years ago, fibers available have changed a lot since then), so they didn’t get as much use. I did worry about fingers getting caught in the open patterns, too. I’ve knit a few baby blankets out of cotton yarn, in a tight knit pattern. One of those is still used as a lap blanket in our house.

Edited by Innisfree

Just now, kfeusse said:

thank you.  But will they make usable baby blankets?  That is what I am trying to figure out. 

Well, I think so. I received, used, and made plenty like that. The only "digit entanglement" stories I heard were long or curly hair related.   Every new mom has her own hang ups, but everyone will appreciate the gift, even if they decide to drape it artfully out of reach for a couple of years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

These are 2 blankets that I started.  They aren't perfect as I am just learning....but I am thinking the weave is good and so is the weight.  But I would love to hear your opinions on these.  Would you like to have a blanket like this for your little one?  The colored yarn is a Baby Bee from Hobby Lobby yarn and the blue is Premiere Puzzle yarn from Walmart.  

image.thumb.jpeg.0f7d77a8558b84da3a5a6e0d12170069.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6b5a5a49cb184651ccb409f40ebf3540.jpeg

I love them! I think they will be fantastic!

9 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

pretty.....did you make this?

It photographs better than it looks in person. 😄It's a sampler I made.  I have a sketch I'm working on creating a pattern for that uses these elements in a much bigger blanket.  This was a first attempt. DS loved it, though, and it looks like similar yarn.

Do you have a pattern for using the loom to make the squares?  I want to learn, maybe do a temperature blanket one year with the technique. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

It photographs better than it looks in person. 😄It's a sampler I made.  I have a sketch I'm working on creating a pattern for that uses these elements in a much bigger blanket.  This was a first attempt. DS loved it, though, and it looks like similar yarn.

Do you have a pattern for using the loom to make the squares?  I want to learn, maybe do a temperature blanket one year with the technique. 

it's called a 10 stitch blanket....look for a video by Wambui on you tube...it's the easiest video to follow.  It's long, but so worth your time.   I thought about doing a temperature blanket in this pattern, but wasn't sure how to do it.  If you figure it out, let me know. 

• Thanks 1

My youngest's favorite blankie "nay-nay" was a purple crocheted fairly small blanket made by dh's cousin. It went everywhere with dd and her stuffed dog. Probably because it was small. And it did have good finger holes.

I made my kids quilts that were I think 5' square with a flannel backing. Awesome for floor time. And I also made myself a couple of flannel "nursing blankets" but actually big enough to keep babe and me covered! 36" square I think. Different kinds of blankets are so useful for so many purposes. I'm sure your gifts will be loved--go for it!

Those are cute, and the Hobby Lobby yarn seems nice when I’ve used it.

My kids really liked the homemade blankets in the toddler/preschool and early elementary ages. They were larger than receiving blankets but not as big as a throw.

With our first kid, we received two blankets that were dense and sized for the car seat—loved those!!! They have all kinds of car seat covers now though, so that might not be as useful now.

Agreeing with whoever said that kids like lots of blankets at lots of stages for various reasons.