Menu

Altra shoes and bunions

Indigo Blue

I switched from Brooks to Altra recently, going to zero drop after wearing the same Brooks for years and years. The bunion on my foot had gotten a bit worse over the years. When I put the Altras on, I fully expected to hate them. However, my big toe joint suddenly had room to spread out and be straighter, which significantly changed the way I walk. I could also feel my toes spreading as I walk and working independently and individually to propel myself forward. There was so much general pain and tightness in my hip and torso area, and I do believe all that may be the reason I have a chain of trigger points along the left side of my spine and at the top side of my right hip. 

I’m wondering if the worsening of the bunion could have been avoided by foot-shaped shoes. 

Now I wish I had worn shoes that allow my toes to spread and give full foot functionality years ago. You guys with bunions, or anyone, really, let those toes spread! 

• Like 1

It seems like I read a blog about a woman who switched to barefoot shoes exclusively for over a year and her bunions went away. But now she can’t wear normal shoes without pain. 

It’s interesting. I always thought I had weird feet, with wide toes and narrow heels. Turns out I probably just didn’t get the shape of my feet changed by shoes because I spent a lot of time barefoot, in cowboy boots, or in wide leather sandals with plenty of growing room when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

For those who are using and loving Altras, are you runners by chance?  I’m a pretty serious runner, and am looking for the magic unicorn running shoe.  I’ve liked what I’ve used over the years for the most part, but always on a search for the greener grass…

ETA: specific to bunions, that is. Mine are pretty big but don’t cause too much pain (yet).

Edited by Trilliumlady
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ottakee said:

My Altras have really helped the pain in my big toe.  Shoes should match the shape of your foot……now I just need more cute shoes that meet that criteria.

What type of pain do you have in your big toe, if it’s ok to ask? Is it the joint or something else? 

I am wondering if Altras might work for me. No bunions here, but I have big toe issues and can only wear very specific shoes (often with steel inserts under the big toe). Reading that Altras helped your big toes has just given me more motivation to try a pair.

FWIW, I love my Hoka/Cotapaxis with steel plates added, but always on the lookout for more options.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Trilliumlady said:

For those who are using and loving Altras, are you runners by chance?  I’m a pretty serious runner, and am looking for the magic unicorn running shoe.  I’ve liked what I’ve used over the years for the most part, but always on a search for the greener grass…

ETA: specific to bunions, that is. Mine are pretty big but don’t cause too much pain (yet).

I’m wearing my first pair…the Torin. They are thick and blocky, but I’m not a runner. Altra makes different types of toe box shape. This might be important to know. See below. Then there are different levels of shoes going from minimal to more thick, cushy, and blocky. Certain models come only in certain foot shapes. For example, Lone Peak is the original, which is really, really wide. The Torin, which is what I have, is the new standard shape and isn’t as hugely wide as the original. You could go to the website, pick your shape, then look at the running category and pick a level of cushioning vs. minimalism, then see if there is a model that fits that criteria. The standard shape is still plenty wide enough to accommodate large bunions. No one needs the original, imo, unless they have a really wide heel. 

image.jpeg.d1d6633c3618629c1b39ac1f48331f14.jpeg

Edited by Indigo Blue

@Spryteit also helped my pain. Mine hurts if I don’t use a toe spacer. The Brooks were causing pain because my toe wasn’t in its fully straight position because of the shoe shape. The pain was only minimal, though, BUT I had never previously had any pain in that bunion as long as I used the spacer. Now it was hurting in the Brooks even with a spacer. It hasn’t hurt since using the Altra. 

What type of steel plates do you use? Do you buy them online or are they prescribed?

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Spryteit also helped my pain. Mine hurts if I don’t use a toe spacer. The Brooks were causing pain because my toe wasn’t in its fully straight position because of the shoe shape. The pain was only minimal, though, BUT I had never previously had any pain in that bunion as long as I used the spacer. Now it was hurting in the Brooks even with a spacer. It hasn’t hurt since using the Altra. 

What type of steel plates do you use? Do you buy them online or are they prescribed?

Thank you, that’s helpful. 

I use these, and size up a half size: https://theinsolestore.com/products/turf-toe-half-steel-insoles?variant=40275997294789 Sometimes Amazon has them for less.

They were among several that the podiatrist suggested I try. They keep my big toe from bending.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I know nothing about bunions, but I do love my Altra Timp trail runners for hiking. I recently found a pair of Altras at Ross that are a different model that I wear as an everyday shoe. I bought my first pair of Altras after breaking my foot. I needed something to protect it when stepping on rocks, etc. while hiking. I also needed better traction to help keep me from falling while on the trail. (I also use poles.) Lone Peak and Timp were constantly recommended by hikers online. Since then, I bought Lone Peak for my husband and daughter. My husband loves them and wants more Altra shoes. My daughter likes to be contrary about them because she claims she doesn't like hiking. Lol. (She actually just doesn't like hiking with my husband because he's too hard core for her.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I know nothing about bunions, but I do love my Altra Timp trail runners for hiking. I recently found a pair of Altras at Ross that are a different model that I wear as an everyday shoe. I bought my first pair of Altras after breaking my foot. I needed something to protect it when stepping on rocks, etc. while hiking. I also needed better traction to help keep me from falling while on the trail. (I also use poles.) Lone Peak and Timp were constantly recommended by hikers online. Since then, I bought Lone Peak for my husband and daughter. My husband loves them and wants more Altra shoes. My daughter likes to be contrary about them because she claims she doesn't like hiking. Lol. (She actually just doesn't like hiking with my husband because he's too hard core for her.)

I may try a pair with more traction next time, for trails. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Me too!!

On 1/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, barnwife said:

I was able to basically reverse a bunion due to wearing shoes with room for toes and making sure to spend time spreading my toes as wide as possible every day. 

Do you mean your big toe joint “knuckle” literally moves back toward the joint of the second toe? Does the bony growth on the outside of the joint diminish? And the toe straightens? I’m not doubting you guys at all, but I just am curious as to what type of improvement you have seen. There is a big space between the bones of my first metatarsal and second and a big bony protrusion on the joint. My big toe angles over toward my second toe instead of going straight. I thought only surgery could fix that. But now I am committed to keeping that toe straight as possible inside my shoes because of these threads. 

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Do you mean your big toe joint “knuckle” literally moves back toward the joint of the second toe? Does the bony growth on the outside of the joint diminish? And the toe straightens? I’m not doubting you guys at all, but I just am curious as to what type of improvement you have seen. There is a big space between the bones of my first metatarsal and second and a big bony protrusion on the joint. My big toe angles over toward my second toe instead of going straight. I thought only surgery could fix that. But now I am committed to keeping that toe straight as possible inside my shoes iibecause of these threads. 

I can't define it that closely, but I was starting to get protrusions outward at the base on my foot of the big toe area, and they aren't there anymore.  I don't know whether the big toe shifted over them or what, but I can tell you that what seemed to start them growing was arch support so I also stopped using that except when I really needed it, and the combo realigned my foot.  It's supposed to be impossible, but it did happen.

Having said that, I've been quite sensitive to my smaller toes being pushed together in other shoes now.  They want to be free, and I'm having a hard time finding leather shoes like that.  The best ones I have right now are a pair of Naot leather booties.  Second best are Earthies flats.  But I feel best in Altras or in wide toed snow or rain boot type footwear these days.  And Teva water sandals (classics) in the summer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I can't define it that closely, but I was starting to get protrusions outward at the base on my foot of the big toe area, and they aren't there anymore.  I don't know whether the big toe shifted over them or what, but I can tell you that what seemed to start them growing was arch support so I also stopped using that except when I really needed it, and the combo realigned my foot.  It's supposed to be impossible, but it did happen.

Having said that, I've been quite sensitive to my smaller toes being pushed together in other shoes now.  They want to be free, and I'm having a hard time finding leather shoes like that.  The best ones I have right now are a pair of Naot leather booties.  Second best are Earthies flats.  But I feel best in Altras or in wide toed snow or rain boot type footwear these days.  And Teva water sandals (classics) in the summer.

Thanks. I am very glad your bunion got better! Mine probably won’t, but if it does, I’ll shout it from the rooftops. I was just going to suggest Naot. I have a pair that I haven’t tried on in years. I will have to pull them out and try them as I have a wedding to go to in April. I’m afraid they might now be too narrow. There probably isn’t a better choice, though. 

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

This almost exactly. The only thing that's different for me is that I can't pinpoint a cause for mine. I know I was starting to develop that protrusion on my feet and it was very painful. Now, that protrusion is gone and no more pain at that spot.

When I first became aware of the pain/protrusion, I was scared. My grandmother had horrendous bunions on both feet. I did not want to end up like that. I stumbled upon the work of Katy Bowman and based on that I started spreading my toes wide every day. I ended up with big improvement for not much time/effort. 

While I obviously can't guarantee results, making sure to space your toes as wide as possible as often as possible is a low cost/effort thing to try. 

• Like 1

For the poster who asked about my big toe pain….it was mostly when flexing it a lot with weight on it….like down dog and plank, etc.   it is still mildly there but not nearly as bad.

My feet are so much happier in Altras and Topos (very similar to Altras).  I can also wear Chaco sandals, a pair of keen felt boots, and I just got some knock off Sorrell boot that are wider in the toe box.

My issue is dressier shoes, flats, etc.  like, I literally have none but would like something a bit dressier than tennis shoes.

• Like 2