Menu

First tax return

SKL

I would like to force my kids to file their first tax returns in a way that helps them understand what is actually happening.  Not just "look at your W2 and copy the boxes into this portal page and we'll generate your return."

How did you all introduce your kids to this lovely aspect of life?  Should I go on irs.gov and download the paper return and print it?  Do they still hand those out at the libraries and post offices?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SKL said:

Do they still hand those out at the libraries and post offices?

Not around me, they don't. We talked about that approach for ds last year but ended up using an additional return option on the software we had to purchase for ourselves. I made the argument you are making, but in the end the electronic return made more sense.

DS and I did this the past few years with taxact. And we just defaulted to a regular 1040 and went through all the questions it asked and I explained more why it was asking that, etc. Last year he had an eBay business and some crypto sales. His return was more complicated than ours! 

At our library, we have paper copies of the returns but not the instructions. Our local IRS office used to keep all copies of the forms, but that was pre-Covid so not sure what they are doing now. 

I sat down with my son for the first few years of his taxes. We did Turbo Tax but I tried to help him understand why they were asking the questions that they did. The last year I helped him, he did the form while I watched.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I would like to force my kids to file their first tax returns in a way that helps them understand what is actually happening.  Not just "look at your W2 and copy the boxes into this portal page and we'll generate your return."

How did you all introduce your kids to this lovely aspect of life?  Should I go on irs.gov and download the paper return and print it?  Do they still hand those out at the libraries and post offices?

We can still get paper copies at local libraries and at the IRS office. However, I usually print the forms from online. DD23 has been doing her own taxes on paper (and then transferring the data to the IRS Free Fillable Forms to e-file for free) since she started a summer job at 16. This works great!

Incidentally, she just got a state form booklet in the mail the other day as our state does not yet have free e-file in a fillable forms format.

6 hours ago, SKL said:

Do they still hand those out at the libraries and post offices?

Libraries still have copies, and have tax filing sessions there where volunteers would do their best to help. Post offices are a hit and miss in terms of whether they have the 1040 and 540 (California) forms on hand to give out.

• Like 1

Our library and post office both do have the paper forms, and many (all? definitely most) of the libraries in my area offer hours with quasi-vetted volunteers helping ( seniors, English language learners, first-timers, otherwise perplexed ) filers with the forms.

(That said, we just did/do our kids' for them through college. Eldest managed the transition to doing her own without incident; middle was scrambling on 4/14 to get his employer to reissue his lost W2 (sigh) and was calling us at 10p to talk him through the online submission.)