Menu

Would you eat this, Christmas edition

Innisfree

I would. Those jarred mince"meat"s are pretty much corn syrup sludge, plus some dried apple bits and raisins, possibly some preservatives.  And if the seal isn't broken... might just have lost any zest it ever had, but I wouldn't imagine it would be harmful.   There's no actual meat, for those who don't eat mincemeat.

My mom used to always add fresh minced apples and raisins soaked in rum to the jarred stuff.  The jarred stuff has gotten ever less fruity and more sludgey, IMHO, so I now make my own from scratch.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I now make my own from scratch.

This is something I’ve been contemplating. I’m having a hard time finding the jarred mincemeat we’ve used before. I have recipes from old cookbooks. I should get motivated and do it. Do you use yours soon after making it, or does it need to mature for a while?

3 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

This is something I’ve been contemplating. I’m having a hard time finding the jarred mincemeat we’ve used before. I have recipes from old cookbooks. I should get motivated and do it. Do you use yours soon after making it, or does it need to mature for a while?

So far, I've made it and either used it right away or the next morning.  I mince the apples in the cuisinart on pulse, and then all the dried fruit (my recipe has currants, golden raisins, cranberries, apricots, and cherries) get the same treatment.  Then you cook it up with spices, some cornstarch, a bit of molasses and some rum in a big heavy pan.  Then let it sit overnight in fridge or cook right away.  Or I think you could probably freeze it - I made an extra batch for my mom one year who I think froze and used later in tarts.  Soooo good!  Much better than jarred.  Our family loves (mock) mincemeat.

• Thanks 1