Menu

Not peeling roasted butternut squash

Lecka

I usually cut in half and roast, but I do prefer the taste of cubed when it’s roasted. 

I would still cut in half to roast, if I am going to make soup with it.  

I am going to try roasting with the skin on the next time I make it, though.  I didn’t have the nerve this morning to try it this way this morning, but it is such a hassle to cut the skin off.  

I pull off the peel after it’s roasted. The only time I’ve eaten the peel was when they did very well in my mom’s garden and were yanked off the vine when they were still very small. They’re more like a summer squash then. Kind of like how zucchini peel becomes thick & inedible when they grow 2’ long. 

• Like 1

I have cooked halves with the peel on and then scooped out the inside once it is roasted.  I havve a recipe for cutting the squash in half and then thinly slicing (so you have thin half-moon pieces), leavingthe skin on, to make an au grautin, but I haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1

My question is more about — eating the peel.  

I plan to give it a try!  

I like the cubes enough to try it.  

I like scooping out the flesh, too, but I like cubes enough that I would try them with peel, to avoid peeling them.

If I don’t like it that way, I will probably not bother with cubes.