Menu

Back to mattress shopping, ugh! Help!

Janeway

We bought a Saatva. The first was defective. They sent us a replacement. It was great the first few months. Now it has ridges that are so obvious, that you can stand away from the bed and see it. When I put a yard stick across it, it is a sudden 1.5 inch drop. Now we are desparate to find a new mattress, specifically, plush, before we run out of our 365 day trial period. 

I do not even know what to do. This is beyond frustrating. We would love to get e Purple mattress, but it costs a lot more and there are a certain amount of complaints online about those not being so great after a couple years. Does anyone have good advice for me?

I don't know what your budget is. We decided we would spend whatever it took to get what we needed because I have some issues leftover from the car accident, and Mark was having some neck ache problems. we thought back to all of the different hotels we have stayed in and over and over again, Westin's just had such comfortable beds. Some of our best rests ever. So we bought one of their Heavenly mattresses, and never looked back. It has been a pleasure to sleep on.

If memory serves, Carol in CA bought one from Holiday Inn and it has been a very, very good mattress for them. But I am not 100% on that. We had a thread on this 3 or 4 years ago so I may be blurry on the details.

The purple mattress goes up for sale a lot on a few local sites.  All a few months after the trial period ends.  

Take a look at Zinus, Casper and if you have a membership the one at Costco that starts with a n.  We have a Zinus in our rv for all the beds and I am impressed on how well the have held up.  Casper comes up a lot on a few groups and the Costco one I slept on at an air b and b thing.  That was really comfortable and had worn very well for a lot of use.  

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't know what your budget is. We decided we would spend whatever it took to get what we needed because I have some issues leftover from the car accident, and Mark was having some neck ache problems. we thought back to all of the different hotels we have stayed in and over and over again, Westin's just had such comfortable beds. Some of our best rests ever. So we bought one of their Heavenly mattresses, and never looked back. It has been a pleasure to sleep on.

If memory serves, Carol in CA bought one from Holiday Inn and it has been a very, very good mattress for them. But I am not 100% on that. We had a thread on this 3 or 4 years ago so I may be blurry on the details.

Which bed did you get?

I got a Layla. It is softer than most of the memory foam mattresses out there but not so soft that you sink in and get stuck. It does not have any bounce though which has been a bit of a problem for us. It doesn't cause pressure points. We have had ours for a several years now and no complaints. As a matter of a fact it has relieved a lot of my back pain and I have spent a lot of time in it over the past two years. There is a slight ridge in the middle. You can't see it but if you roll to the middle of the bed you can feel it. It has a removable cover that can be washed. Each side of the mattress is a difference firmness. We have been using the softer side but when it gets to worn we will flip it to the firmer side. 

My dd has a purple and she says it is definitely different and you have to get used to sleeping on it. It does get a bit softer after sleeping on it awhile. It does sleep cooler though.   

We bought a Zinus memory foam mattress and this is the best mattress I've ever had. We addressed bed bath and beyond customer service and figured everything out. I'm glad that we made exactly this choice. Of course, I understand that it is all individual, and it doesn't mean that it would be comfortable for anyone, but I finally can sleep well. And no back and neck pain anymore. 

Edited by Rosla
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rosla said:

We bought a Zinus memory foam mattress and this is the best mattress I've ever had. Of course, I understand that it is all individual, and it doesn't mean that it would be comfortable for anyone, but I finally can sleep well. And no back and neck pain anymore. 

We've had great experiences with Zinus mattresses too. My adult kids all have them as well.  

• Like 1

We've bought five of the Zinus 12" green tea mattresses over the years--

• One when DS2 moved into a college apartment in 2018 (he's still using it)
  • DS1 bought one when he moved into his first non-college apartment, also 2018 
  • We put one in our extra bedroom in 2021
  • DS1 decided to upgrade from a full to a queen in 2022 (and his original Zinus was still in great shape--he sold it on FB Marketplace)
  • We gifted one to MIL in 2022

DH and I bought a Casper Select from Costco last February during the Presidents' Day sale. We definitely would have bought a Zinus, but DH wanted a Cali King and Zinus doesn't have those (or didn't at the time--I haven't checked since). So far we've been very happy with the Casper.

But those are foam mattresses, so neither would be good choices for someone who wants a traditional spring mattress.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, this was my husband’s brilliant idea, and it worked out beautifully.  I’ve been recommending it for years now.  We stayed for a week at a timeshare and both liked the mattress so we called and asked how to get one just like it and that’s what we bought.  We have been VERY happy with it for years now.  The only thing we messed up was not reading the dimensions, since I thought that all mattresses were the same thickness.  Um.  Not anymore.  So we ended up with a thick mattress and a normal box spring, the sum of which was ridiculously tall for our antique bed frame.  We gave away the box spring and bought a Bucky board to use instead, and it worked out great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought this mattress last spring and absolutely love it! https://vendor.shopbedmart.com/product/mattress/constantino-plush/. I looked at mattresses for months, so many stores, revisiting some of them, even bought a $5000 one and returned it. This one is the perfect Goldilocks mattress for me. 

I picked it out and then tried the mattress stores Smartmatch bed simulator that gives you recommendations based on questions asked and pressure points when you lay on the simulator. It picked out the same mattress LOL

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, this was my husband’s brilliant idea, and it worked out beautifully.  I’ve been recommending it for years now.  We stayed for a week at a timeshare and both liked the mattress so we called and asked how to get one just like it and that’s what we bought.  We have been VERY happy with it for years now.  The only thing we messed up was not reading the dimensions, since I thought that all mattresses were the same thickness.  Um.  Not anymore.  So we ended up with a thick mattress and a normal box spring, the sum of which was ridiculously tall for our antique bed frame.  We gave away the box spring and bought a Bucky board to use instead, and it worked out great.

Which mattress was it? We stayed in a Holiday Inn where we loved the mattress. I did research at the time in to which one it was, but now cannot find the information. 

The best mattress we ever owned was purchased at a high school fundraiser.  We ran around the gym for over an hour testing all the mattresses.  It's about 7 years old now and I still love my bed.  I still crawl in and say "I love my bed" and my husband just rolls his eyes at me.  It's a hybrid so it has foam and springs.  The only drawback is it can't be flipped, so I don't know how long it will actually last, but so far so good.  A middle ridge is starting to form, but it's nothing you can see when the bed is made.  I just know it's there because I change the sheets.  It doesn't feel weird when I creep to the middle and hog the bed.  

This is what we have.  I don't know anything about this company, they just came up on search first. https://www.gardner-white.com/collection/2084-beautyrest-platinum-gabriella-luxury-firm-pillow-top

• Like 1