Menu

Clothing for super petite teen girl

historically accurate

We're having issues now that youngest DD is 16. She is 4'8" and weighs about 80 pounds. Children's clothes are too childish. She fits a girls' 12 or 14 best, and today we bought a pair of Cat & Jack jeans and a girls' XL cardigan at Target, but we're having difficulty finding age-appropriate clothes to fit her.  She tried on a pair of XXS dress pants and an XS shirt from the women's dept - she could've grown 5 inches and gained 20 pounds and they still would've been a little large. 

She's down to a couple of pair of (kids') jeans and some size S Old Navy shirts that shrunk so older sister couldn't wear and a few random shirts picked up at Goodwill (no real rhyme or reason to the brands). 

Anyone have any ideas for itty-bitty teens?

Uniqlo had some wonderful clothes and you can customize the length.  DS buys his pants from there as he is 6 ft tall and very skinny.  It is the one place I can buy off the shelf and not need to take the waist in.  The women’s shirts there I find besides the tunics to be short in the torso but they fit my daughter fine. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

We're having issues now that youngest DD is 16. She is 4'8" and weighs about 80 pounds. Children's clothes are too childish. She fits a girls' 12 or 14 best, and today we bought a pair of Cat & Jack jeans and a girls' XL cardigan at Target, but we're having difficulty finding age-appropriate clothes to fit her.  She tried on a pair of XXS dress pants and an XS shirt from the women's dept - she could've grown 5 inches and gained 20 pounds and they still would've been a little large. 

She's down to a couple of pair of (kids') jeans and some size S Old Navy shirts that shrunk so older sister couldn't wear and a few random shirts picked up at Goodwill (no real rhyme or reason to the brands). 

Anyone have any ideas for itty-bitty teens?

The juniors' department is going to be a better bet than the women's department (still difficult, though). 

She will have the best chances with clothing from Asian stores. 

• Like 6

Try higher end stores. I know a few very petite adults who buy from places like Saks (and Saks off 5th and Nordstrom Rack) because some of the items in their children’s departments are more sophisticated than other places. I think one also gets school uniform type clothing from places like Lands End because they look like generic preppy clothing. 

• Like 2

I was also going to suggest Asian stores and Aerie. What is her actual waist size? The European 32 is usually the US 0 which is 22.5”. Ironically, that is also like a kids 6-8. A youth 10 in US sizing is usually equivalent to a 00 in women’s.

If you don’t have access to Asian brands through amazon or Temu, then I would go off of actual waist and bust measurements and hem. Learning to do alterations is a PITA, but once you get past the learning curve would open up a lot of thrift store options.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I was also going to suggest Asian stores and Aerie. What is her actual waist size? The European 32 is usually the US 0 which is 22.5”. Ironically, that is also like a kids 6-8. A youth 10 in US sizing is usually equivalent to a 00 in women’s.

If you don’t have access to Asian brands through amazon or Temu, then I would go off of actual waist and bust measurements and hem. Learning to do alterations is a PITA, but once you get past the learning curve would open up a lot of thrift store options.

I just measured her waist; it is 23.5".

What kind of clothing are you looking for? Jeans, dress shirts, pants, dresses, coats? I wear girls 10/12 but I am flat chested with big hips. Hollister is smaller for women’s tops. Paige is smaller for women’s jeans. For dresses I have to go for Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange, Helmut Lang, Reiss and basically shop at premium outlets. I have to go to Neiman Marcus to look at clothing my size and then go on a treasure hunt at the outlets. My winter parkas are snug but for fall I have embraced the oversized jacket fashion. 

ETA: DS18 and I have 23” waist. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

What kind of clothing are you looking for? Jeans, dress shirts, pants, dresses, coats? I wear girls 10/12 but I am flat chested with big hips. Hollister is smaller for women’s tops. Paige is smaller for women’s jeans. For dresses I have to go for Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange, Helmut Lang, Reiss and basically shop at premium outlets. I have to go to Neiman Marcus to look at clothing my size and then go on a treasure hunt at the outlets. My winter parkas are snug but for fall I have embraced the oversized jacket fashion. 

Jeans & shirts, possibly some dress pants (would be handy to have some, but no pressing need at the moment). She has a dress for winter and a coat. 

17 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Jeans & shirts, possibly some dress pants (would be handy to have some, but no pressing need at the moment). She has a dress for winter and a coat. 

What’s her shoulder width? I’ll look out for you this weekend when we go shopping (again because hubby is a shopaholic). My shoulder width is about 12”.  For jeans, it would depends on the hip measurement as well. I go for Rag & Bone jeans when on clearance as they are stretchy enough to fit my hips and they have size 23 for jeans. My hips are 36”. 

Another vote for American Eagle. When my daughter was that height and slightly lighter we got her 000 short length jeans at AE. We have sometimes found jeans at kohls in the juniors department that go small enough. Those were the only places we could find non-kids jeans that fit. For kids jeans that fit, we would order target kids jeans online in slims--their size chart was pretty accurate for height/waist. 

• Like 1

My 16yr old is close to her size- a little taller, and a little thinner. We have pretty good luck with aeropostale 000. I think you can find some at hollister too. Athleta is a good one too. You can try Athleta girls, but if she has hip/waist difference you're better off with the xxs ladies. 

Our best bets are stretchy things and thredup. We like thredup because they try to put the actual waist and inseam (no vanity sizing) and it's cheap if it doesn't work out. Sometimes Old Navy 00P is small. I don't recommend Ann Taylor or Bananan Republic- they're usually too big these days- much bigger than their size charts suggest.

• Like 1