Menu

Periodontal Cleaning

Soror

Does anyone have experience with this?

We went to a new dentist yesterday (our last went out of network). We (4 of us had appts) all really liked the office and the dentist. He generally seems very laid back and not super interventionist (dh is the only one with follow-up appts) but he did say dh needs a peroidontal cleaning which will be significantly more than regular cleaning. They said his x-rays looked good but there was gum inflammation and when they measured the build-up under the gum it is much more than it should be. They are running it through insurance now to see what it will be. I'm guessing our previous dentist didn't test for this. IDK we've never heard of this. I didn't care for the previous dentist so I'm not terribly surprised if he missed something. We just ended up with him when our dentist of 20 yrs retired during Covid.

Edited by Soror

Yes, I've had it done several times since I began seeing my current dentist. He's extremely good and doesn't over-treat. I credit his practice with saving my teeth. It was absolutely needed and my gum health has improved.

I've only had it with nitrous or IV sedation. At the very least I would think they would use numbing gel or local anesthetic. I would ask what they do to keep the procedure comfortable. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I’ve had this, I had numbing gel applied and then a shot.  I could tell a difference in my gums.  

Edit:  my dentist calls it deep cleaning and my mom’s dentist calls it scaling.  My mom has had it one time and she doubled down on her flossing routine, and has never needed it again.  I don’t think it works like that for everyone, but it would be nice.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had this and moved to the every-3-months cleaning schedule. I haven't had any cavities in the 7 or 8 years since I started doing this. 

I really upped my flossing quality and haven't had anymore scaling, just more frequent cleanings since then. Apparently my insurance covers at least part of the cost of more cleanings per year if you've had scaling done before.

(Just moved and need to find a new dentist as I've hit the 3 month mark.)

• Like 1

Dh had to have it done once. He had skipped a six month appointment and hadnt yet switched to an electronic toothbrush. He had to use a special mouthwash afterwards also to help his gums heal.

Electronic toothbrushes, daily flossing, braces for dh (alignment = easier flossing), and 6 month cleanings have meant that he hasn’t had to do it again. 

Gum health = cardiac and other health, so if a dentist recommends it I would try to make it happen. Gum grafts are more expensive than a scaling, iykwim.

• Like 3

I've had it done several times. I have dental anxiety as well as a mouth condition that makes dental work extra painful. I get a numbing shot but the dentist also prescribes valium for me to take before the procedure. If your dh is fine with dental work I'd have him still ask for numbing as it can be painful when they get to the worst plaque areas. 

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

He had to use a special mouthwash afterwards also to help his gums heal.

Electronic toothbrushes, daily flossing, braces for dh (alignment = easier flossing), and 6 month cleanings have meant that he hasn’t had to do it again. 

I've had the mouthwash too. It can have a graying effect on your teeth though so I hated using it. I can't use an electric toothbrush because it's too painful* but I do use a water pic in addition to regular flossing and brushing. 

*I have oral lichen planus in case anyone wants to look it up. It's not fun, there's no cure, and very little treatment options. "Experts" still can't agree on whether or not it's an autoimmune disease. 

• Sad 3

My DH also has cleanings every three months. Even though his dental hygiene is way better than mine. I had a year of extra cleaning but using a Sonicare toothbrush (and not brushing with it, just aiming it at an angle toward my gum line and between my teeth) cleared that up.

My DH uses a hydrogen peroxide gel several times a week in addition to brushing and flossing and every three months deep cleaning.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. We do get regular cleanings. I think this time it was 7 months, only because we had to switch and couldn't get in sooner.  I had read previously that there is a connection between teeth and heart issues so that was on my radar. There are no unmanaged conditions. I just wanted to run it by you guys since it is expensive to make sure it was legit. Like I said we liked the dentist and he seemed on the up and up but this was our first time seeing him and it hasn't been mentioned previously. 

• Like 3

I manage a dental office. My boss is very proactive about catching periodontal disease. When caught early, it can be managed long-term just like diabetes and other health conditions. Research increasingly shows the link between dental health and systemic health. The bacteria present in your mouth, if left unchecked, eats away at bone and is a major contributor to tooth loss. But it can also travel throughout your body. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/dental/art-20047475

Up to half of young people have it and the percentage of the population that has it drastically increases with age. 

https://magazine.medlineplus.gov/article/gum-disease-by-the-numbers#:~:text=Almost half%2C 47.2%%2C of,Gum disease increases with age.

Every patient that comes through our doors is screened once/year for periodontal disease with a dental probe that measures the depth of the pockets around each tooth. A phrase that everyone should know: “Healthy gums don’t bleed.” Bleeding is a sign of inflammation and an early indicator of trouble to come. 

If your dentist recommends “deep cleaning” aka “scaling and root planing” aka “SRP” aka “quad-scaling” you should seriously consider it. In our office it is done with local anesthetic. Two 60-minute appointments. Left side at one appointment. Right side at second appointment. Our patients describe it as “tolerable” and “much less scary than I thought it would be.” A recheck is performed at 1-month to assess how the gum tissue is responding. Patients are placed on a 3-month recall. This is because the life cycle of the oral bacteria is 3 months, and the more frequent cleanings help to keep this under control. The majority of patients remain on this schedule. Some are able to return to 6-month recall if they are diligent with home care. 

Periodontal disease is no joke. 

ETA-I’m also the financial coordinator in our office. Most insurance companies cover at least 50% of this procedure. Some cover less. Some cover more. And more insurance companies are beginning to cover 4 periodontal maintenance visits per year with a small copay. Some still only cover 2 cleanings per year and a perio patient will have to pay for the other two cleanings. Even if you have to pay for the extra cleanings, the investment in your health is worth it. It is priceless to be in your 70s/80s/90s and still able to eat with your own natural teeth! 

ETA-There is strict criteria to diagnose periodontal disease. This is not something a dentist can falsely diagnose. Insurance companies require a chart that records pocket depths of 5+ for multiple teeth and x-rays need to show visible bone loss. If your dentist recommends treatment for periodontal disease and they have proof for your dental insurance, you are already at the point where intervention is critical if you want to keep your teeth. This isn’t something your dentist is making up. Take it seriously. 

Edited by knittingmomof3
More info
  • Thanks 2