Menu

World problems/news ( Used to be Anybody concerned about Friday, then I changed it to concerned about world problems)

TravelingChris

The baby and his family are said to have been passed to another terrorist group. They probably will not be released in this group of abductees/hostages.

The Bibas family, including baby Kfir who is now 10 months old, was transferred by Hamas to another Palestinian terror group in Gaza, the military said Monday, dampening hopes of their release during the current truce.

Kfir was kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Oz along with his 4-year-old brother Ariel and parents Yarden, 34, and Shiri, 32, when terrorists rampaged through southern communities on October 7, murdering at least 1,200 people, mostly civilians in their homes and at a music festival, and abducting some 240.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-hamas-abducted-bibas-family-including-baby-handed-them-to-other-terror-group/

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, pinball said:

The baby and his family are said to have been passed to another terrorist group. They probably will not be released in this group of abductees/hostages.

The Bibas family, including baby Kfir who is now 10 months old, was transferred by Hamas to another Palestinian terror group in Gaza, the military said Monday, dampening hopes of their release during the current truce.

Kfir was kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Oz along with his 4-year-old brother Ariel and parents Yarden, 34, and Shiri, 32, when terrorists rampaged through southern communities on October 7, murdering at least 1,200 people, mostly civilians in their homes and at a music festival, and abducting some 240.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-hamas-abducted-bibas-family-including-baby-handed-them-to-other-terror-group/

Kfir and the "gingies" (red heads) will likely be kept. They are very powerful tokens to hold. 

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I read reports that they arw gone and IDF is seeking info to confirm or reject.

Hamas claims these children were killed by Israeli fire. I think most Israelis think it's a psychological ruse, but it is terrible to think about. Which would be the point whether or not it's true. But if it's true (and Israel won't know because Hamas tends not to give bodies back) Israelis will be ANGRY.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

It looks like almost all of the known hostages age 18 and younger are back now--all except for the Bibas boys and the Ziyadne siblings.  I hope that Hamas is lying about the Bibas family being dead, but I think it is more likely that they killed them.  I can't imagine that anyone with a brain will believe them about the deaths being caused by Israeli fire without any proof after their blatant lies about the hospital bombing.  But then, there seem to be a lot of people without brains in this world.

If it were true, the strongest thing Hamas could do to support their own cause would be to immediately turn over the bodies and any other proof they could offer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

It looks like almost all of the known hostages age 18 and younger are back now--all except for the Bibas boys and the Ziyadne siblings.  I hope that Hamas is lying about the Bibas family being dead, but I think it is more likely that they killed them.  I can't imagine that anyone with a brain will believe them about the deaths being caused by Israeli fire without any proof after their blatant lies about the hospital bombing.  But then, there seem to be a lot of people without brains in this world.

If it were true, the strongest thing Hamas could do to support their own cause would be to immediately turn over the bodies and any other proof they could offer.  

The day Hamas give over the bodies without massive amounts of Palestinian prisoners being given in exchange is the day pigs become kosher.

They haven't let the International Red Cross visit the hostages yet. That was part of the agreement. I'm not sure which party (or both!) aren't bring allowed to fulfill this. The Israeli elderly woman who was released in a horrible medical condition had family begging the IRC to take her medicines to her. They did not/could not/would not. 

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

The day Hamas give over the bodies without massive amounts of Palestinian prisoners being given in exchange is the day pigs become kosher.

They haven't let the International Red Cross visit the hostages yet. That was part of the agreement. I'm not sure which party (or both!) aren't bring allowed to fulfill this. The Israeli elderly woman who was released in a horrible medical condition had family begging the IRC to take her medicines to her. They did not/could not/would not. 

Now Hamas is offering to give bodies instead of live hostages in exchange for prisoners being released and an extension to the ceasefire, and are blaming Israel for not accepting this 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

https://www.timesofisrael.com/three-killed-6-injured-in-terror-shooting-at-jerusalem-entrance-bus-stop/

Three people were murdered by Hamas terrorists in Jerusalem. Shot to death at bus stop. Many more injured.

The victims were named later as Livia Dickman, 24, Ashdod rabbinical judge Elimelech Wasserman, 73, and Hannah Ifergan, who was in her 60s.

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, pinball said:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/three-killed-6-injured-in-terror-shooting-at-jerusalem-entrance-bus-stop/

Three people were murdered by Hamas terrorists in Jerusalem. Shot to death at bus stop. Many more injured.

The victims were named later as Livia Dickman, 24, Ashdod rabbinical judge Elimelech Wasserman, 73, and Hannah Ifergan, who was in her 60s.

A fourth Israeli was killed by friendly fire by soldiers who thought he was a terrorist. May his name be for a blessing. Baruch dayan haEmes.

I passed this bus stop hundreds of times. The most recent time yesterday. I lived in an adjacent neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

11 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

A fourth Israeli was killed by friendly fire by soldiers who thought he was a terrorist. May his name be for a blessing. Baruch dayan haEmes.

I passed this bus stop hundreds of times. The most recent time yesterday. I lived in an adjacent neighborhood.

I’m so sorry. I am praying for all involved. 

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67604591

A man has died and two others have been injured in a knife and hammer attack on a street in central Paris.

The attack occurred on Quai de Grenelle, near the Eiffel Tower, shortly before 21:00 local time (20:00 GMT) on Saturday. 

A 26-year-old French national known to security services has been arrested and anti-terrorism prosecutors have opened an investigation. 

Officials confirmed that the man killed was a German national.

France's Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin said the victim, born in 1999, was with his wife when he was attacked and fatally stabbed.

• Sad 2

Warning about sexual violence 

U.S. State Dept. says the reason Hamas hasn’t released more women hostages because Hamas knows the women will tell how mistreated they’ve been.

There has been more information about the rape and mutilation of women during the initial terrorist assault from eyewitnesses.

This stmt is from yesterday’s briefing. I think most people know that the women still being held won’t be coming out (if they are ever released and not dead already) praising the availability of feminine products.

https://www.state.gov/?post_type=state_briefing&%3Bp=92333

QUESTION: Thank you. Going back to your answer to the question about the reports of rape of Israeli women by Hamas and use of sexual violence as a war crime – as a weapon of war, you said we’ve seen Hamas commit atrocities. We obviously condemn atrocities. But you didn’t use the words rape or sexual violence. And I’m wondering if there’s a reason for that and not a more explicit condemnation of rape.

MR MILLER: Look, only because we haven’t made an independent assessment, our own. We’ve obviously seen the reports that Hamas has committed sexual violence. They’ve committed rape. We have no reason at all to doubt those reports. When you look at all of the atrocities that Hamas carried out on October 7th and the atrocities that they’ve carried out since, the fact that they continue to hold women hostages, the fact that they continue to hold children hostages, the fact that it seems one of the reasons they don’t want to turn women over that they’ve been holding hostage and the reason this pause fell apart is they don’t want those women to be able to talk about what happened to them during their time in custody – certainly there is very little that I would put beyond Hamas when it comes to its treatment of civilians, and particularly its treatment of women.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, pinball said:

Warning about sexual violence 

U.S. State Dept. says the reason Hamas hasn’t released more women hostages because Hamas knows the women will tell how mistreated they’ve been.

There has been more information about the rape and mutilation of women during the initial terrorist assault from eyewitnesses.

This stmt is from yesterday’s briefing. I think most people know that the women still being held won’t be coming out (if they are ever released and not dead already) praising the availability of feminine products.

https://www.state.gov/?post_type=state_briefing&%3Bp=92333

QUESTION: Thank you. Going back to your answer to the question about the reports of rape of Israeli women by Hamas and use of sexual violence as a war crime – as a weapon of war, you said we’ve seen Hamas commit atrocities. We obviously condemn atrocities. But you didn’t use the words rape or sexual violence. And I’m wondering if there’s a reason for that and not a more explicit condemnation of rape.

MR MILLER: Look, only because we haven’t made an independent assessment, our own. We’ve obviously seen the reports that Hamas has committed sexual violence. They’ve committed rape. We have no reason at all to doubt those reports. When you look at all of the atrocities that Hamas carried out on October 7th and the atrocities that they’ve carried out since, the fact that they continue to hold women hostages, the fact that they continue to hold children hostages, the fact that it seems one of the reasons they don’t want to turn women over that they’ve been holding hostage and the reason this pause fell apart is they don’t want those women to be able to talk about what happened to them during their time in custody – certainly there is very little that I would put beyond Hamas when it comes to its treatment of civilians, and particularly its treatment of women.

And still who speaks up for these women (and children) other than Jews? Not the UN, not prominent women's rights organizations, not my or other representatives in the US government!

• Like 2
  • Sad 11

28 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

And still who speaks up for these women (and children) other than Jews? Not the UN, not prominent women's rights organizations, not my or other representatives in the US government!

The lack of outcry in feminist circles about them is horrendous to me.

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

More than 16,000 confirmed killed. Thousands more under the rubble of houses destroyed by obscene amounts of bombs. 7000 DEAD CHILDREN!!! How many dead Palestinians will be enough for you??

Are you asking me? Well I could give you an answer but you probably won't like it.

I wish there were no Palestinians dead right now from this massacre.

I also wish Hamas and their merry bands of hangers on didn't perpetuate the heinous "resistance" they did on October 7.

I don't know why you think that about me but I'm sure glad I don't think the same way about you. 

Be blessed.

Edited by YaelAldrich
English really is my first language! Promise!
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

More than 16,000 confirmed killed. Thousands more under the rubble of houses destroyed by obscene amounts of bombs. 7000 DEAD CHILDREN!!! How many dead Palestinians will be enough for you??

ok if I’m being completely honest Sinwar and anyone who helped plan Oct 7, because I doubt they can be rehabilitated at this point. 

I want every Israeli hostage returned alive and the hurt and pain to be healed as much as possible. I wish none of it had ever happened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Are you asking me? Well I could give you an answer but you probably won't like it.

I wish there were no Palestinians dead right now from this massacre.

I also wish Hamas and their merry bands of hangers on didn't perpetuate the heinous "resistance" they did on October 7.

I don't know why you think that about me but I'm sure glad I don't think the same way about you. 

Be blessed.

It was a general 'you' - not directed at you personally.

It is a massacre. 

It is infuriating to watch this thread unfold totally ignoring the insane numbers of deaths. The international community usually agrees that no civilian deaths are acceptable. But this time the world is turning a blind eye. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

It is a massacre. 

It is infuriating to watch this thread unfold totally ignoring the insane numbers of deaths. The international community usually agrees that no civilian deaths are acceptable. But this time the world is turning a blind eye. 

This is just plain untrue.

There have been huge demonstrations in support of the Palestinians all over the place, including here in the US in our capitol.  They largely ignore the precipitating event for Israel going into Gaza to find the Hamas fighters and eliminate them, which I find reprehensible and astounding.  

And additionally, the US is among the countries who have asked for restraint on Israel’s part, in the face of unspeakable provocation.  

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

Blame Hamas for the Palestinian dead. They began the massacre. 

If a man kills people in public and then runs home and hides in his house with his wife and kids, are the police supposed to shrug their shoulders and let him go? What if he says, “as long as I’m alive, I will never stop killing?” And he shoots at his neighbors from his house? Leave him alone bc his wife and kids are in there?

Yahya Sinwar (called the butcher of Khan Yunis for killing Palestinians suspect of spying for Israel) said only a few days ago that October 7th was just a rehearsal.

Using civilians as shields is a considered (by some) to be a war crime. 

Hamas can turn over all hostages and the bodies of those hostages they killed and then surrender. Then the war will stop.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

It is a massacre. 

I kinda feel like you ARE asking me and all Jews this question. But maybe I'm paranoid. Or just have the long memory of a Jew. 🤔

I'm pretty sure no international body thinks   NO civilization deaths is a reasonable goal in war. I didn't seem to remember that in any war or conflict.  Maybe that's the goal for NZ. I don't know. 

I just acknowledged that is terrible that innocent people need to die because of the actions of some horrible terrorists. I wish the Palestinian people would give them up to the Hague and try to find a way to peace.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, pinball said:

Blame Hamas for the Palestinian dead. They began the massacre. 

If a man kills people in public and then runs home and hides in his house with his wife and kids, are the police supposed to shrug their shoulders and let him go? What if he says, “as long as I’m alive, I will never stop killing?” And he shoots at his neighbors from his house? Leave him alone bc his wife and kids are in there?

Yahya Sinwar (called the butcher of Khan Yunis for killing Palestinians suspect of spying for Israel) said only a few days ago that October 7th was just a rehearsal.

Using civilians as shields is a considered (by some) to be a war crime. 

Hamas can turn over all hostages and the bodies of those hostages they killed and then surrender. Then the war will stop.

Your logic is so flawed. To continue with your analogy - the man runs home and shoots neighbours from his house, which is filled with his whole family. So the police drop an unfathomably huge bomb on the house, killing everyone inside. 

You and I both know that the correct action for the police is to endeavour to punish only the person who committed the crime. Bombing his house and murdering his family is only another crime. Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

It must be different where you are than where I am. There is a large outcry where I am, not a blind eye at all. Demonstrations, social media stuff, articles, etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I kinda feel like you ARE asking and Jews this question. But maybe I'm paranoid. Or just have the long memory of a Jew. 🤔

I'm pretty sure no international body thinks   NO civilization deaths is a reasonable goal in war. I didn't seem to remember that in any war or conflict.  Maybe that's the goal for NZ. I don't know. 

I just acknowledged that is terrible that innocent people need to die because of the actions of some horrible terrorists. I wish the Palestinian people would give them up to the Hague and try to find a way to peace.

Absolutely nothing to do with Jews. I intentionally didn't mention nations, religions, races. 

This is to do with not enough being done by the entire international community to stop a disaster that has been going on for 2 months, killing thousands of people. And the complacency of people and governments across the world in the face of such huge numbers of deaths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

It must be different where you are than where I am. There is a large outcry where I am, not a blind eye at all. Demonstrations, social media stuff, articles, etc.

But not here on this thread though 😞

That's my point. There should be an outcry! Here as well! 

Edited by EmmaNZ

5 minutes ago, pinball said:

It has everything to do with Jews.

Hamas wants to exterminate every Jew from the world

BUT NOT MY POST!! It in no way targeted Jews, or Americans, or Brits, or Kiwis, or Muslims. My post was only about how many civilian deaths there have been. And how it is an unacceptably large number. No matter 'who started it' those people were still innocent. 

And if you just reply to every reasonable argument with "BUT HAMAS" then we will get nowhere 😞

Edited by EmmaNZ
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

Absolutely nothing to do with Jews. I intentionally didn't mention nations, religions, races. 

This is to do with not enough being done by the entire international community to stop a disaster that has been going on for 2 months, killing thousands of people. And the complacency of people and governments across the world in the face of such huge numbers of deaths.

Forgive my laughter. I am just gobsmacked that you don't mention Jews. But this is precisely what you mean. Just like the nice man who took a picture of my synagogue filled with people (that is right in front of the Jewish woman space I run) with a pithy, "Remember when the Rabbi got stabbed? There are lots here." 

• Sad 4

Just now, YaelAldrich said:

Forgive my laughter. I am just gobsmacked that you don't mention Jews. But this is precisely what you mean. Just like the nice man who took a picture of my synagogue filled with people (that is right in front of the Jewish woman space I run) with a pithy, "Remember when the Rabbi got stabbed? There are lots here." 

The levels of hate in the world at the moment is astonishing. Antisemitism is rife. Islamophobia is rife. Far right groups spewing hate in all directions. None are acceptable. All are heinous. I'm sorry that you feel so targeted both by my post and by your experiences.

But please don't attach meaning to my words that is not there. The title of this thread is about 'world events'. I think the thread should include at least a mention of the killing of thousands upon thousands of civilians because somebody in their neighbourhood committed a crime.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

It is a massacre. 

I wish it was true that the international community didn’t tolerate civilian deaths. Do you know how many occurred in the first year of the Syrian civil war? No protests. The international community sat back because they were scared of direct confrontation with Russia. War is horrific. 

Also, please be aware that the Palestinian death toll does not separate civilian and military deaths.

There was a thread previously that was locked and now there’s a thread in politics. I have avoided posting much because it’s an emotive topic and I don’t want a forum mess.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EmmaNZ said:

BUT NOT MY POST!! It in no way targeted Jews, or Americans, or Brits, or Kiwis, or Muslims. My post was only about how many civilian deaths there have been. And how it is an unacceptably large number. No matter 'who started it' those people were still innocent. 

And if you just reply to every reasonable argument with "BUT HAMAS" then we will get nowhere 😞

I think you need a brain shift. The goal of Israel is to protect themselves.

The goal of radical Islamic terrorist groups is to destroy Israel and annihilate all Jews.

I don’t need to “get anywhere.” I’m really happy where I am. I believe Israel is doing the only rational thing they can do to keep from being destroyed.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I wish it was true that the international community didn’t tolerate civilian deaths. Do you know how many occurred in the first year of the Syrian civil war? No protests. The international community sat back because they were scared of direct confrontation with Russia. War is horrific. 

Also, please be aware that the Palestinian death toll does not separate civilian and military deaths.

There was a thread previously that was locked and now there’s a thread in politics. I have avoided posting much because it’s an emotive topic and I don’t want a forum mess.

I know the numbers. 

It is blindingly obvious that the international community does not care at all about civilian deaths. It is a disaster for us all. Today it is civilians in the Middle East, but tomorrow it could be you and I.

2 minutes ago, pinball said:

The goal of radical Islamic terrorist groups is to destroy Israel and annihilate all Jews.

I don’t need to “get anywhere.” I’m really happy where I am. I believe Israel is doing the only rational thing they can do to keep from being destroyed.

7000 dead children. More than 16000 dead civilians. 

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

There have been members of Israel parliament recoded as saying the goal is to rid Gaza of Palestinians completely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There have been members of Israel parliament recoded as saying the goal is to rid Gaza of Palestinians completely 

There are members of other political parties who say they wish that Palestine would exist without Jews. Israel allows different points of view. You do know there are several Arab political parties in the Knesset?

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 4