Menu

When do you read?

Eos

I read all the time.  I mostly read books through Kindle right now, either Kindle Unlimited or borrowed from Libby or ones I own.   I have the Kindle app on my home computer, my work computer, my phone, and my kindle fire so I can pick up my book and read whenever I have the time.

In the morning I get up and have breakfast and tea while on my computer.  I usually check emails, Facebook and the WTM boards.  If I have time after that, I'll read some of whatever book I'm currently reading.   

At work (I teach at a science center I run), I'll read if I get in early and am waiting for classes to start, between classes while I eat lunch, and maybe for brief other times if I don't have set-up or clean up to do.  It's not super common for me to read at work.

In the evenings, I may read while eating dinner and after dinner while dh is watching tv.  There are only a few shows I'll watch, plus it's currently football season so I have a lot of time to read this time of year.   I generally will read right up until shortly before bedtime.   I do kakuro puzzles before bed to have some time off screens.   

I don't read in bed.  Our bedroom doesn't have good heat/ac so it's often not comfortable in there temperature wise and I don't find it comfortable to read in bed.  

I'm doing a book challenge this year and I've read about 145 books so far this year.    But reading is pretty much my first choice of free time activity and my house is aways a mess.

• Like 1

I read on and off all day. I read almost exclusively in my Kindle Paperwhite and almost always borrow ebooks (and occasionally physical copies) from the library. I rarely buy books anymore.

My main reading time is morning and bedtime. Since dh retired nearly 2 years ago we sit on our screen porch and read in the morning for about an hour while we have our coffee. I also read for about half an hour before bed. Throughout the day whenever I have a bit of down time I read. Sometimes I waste time online which digs into my reading time but mostly I spend my down time reading. Reading is like breathing to me so I never consider reading a waste of time, even if I'm sometimes reading fluff/twaddle.

I also listen to audiobooks from Libby. I used to have more listening time before we moved when I spent a fair amount of time in the car. Now I mostly listen while cooking, gardening, or doing housework.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, SKL said:

I'm curious what position you all find so comfortable that you are able to read in bed for an hour or more.  I haven't been able to do this in decades.

I use two pillows under my head and shoulders and hold my book standing up on my tummy. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 10:23 AM, SKL said:

I'm curious what position you all find so comfortable that you are able to read in bed for an hour or more.  I haven't been able to do this in decades.

I read on my Kindle Paperwhite so it's much easier than holding a book. I usually lie on my back but will occasionally turn over and read on my stomach.

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I use two pillows under my head and shoulders and hold my book standing up on my tummy. 

This is me too. Sometimes my legs are straight, sometimes they are bent, and sometimes they are crossed while bent. I think those little changes help move the stress on my back around so that no one spot takes all the strain.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I would books on a boat
I would read books with a goat
I would read books in a line
I would read books anytime
I would read books here and there
I would read books anywhere

lol, pretty much. Would be easier to say when I don't read, than when I do, lol. 

16 hours ago, Garga said:

I read when I’m in the loo and I read while I eat. My family doesn’t eat meals at the same time (we all have different schedules), so I prop up the book while I eat three times a day. 

Yup, wasn't going to admit it, but I do read in the bathroom. I do wipe my phone down often, I swear! 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

lol, pretty much. Would be easier to say when I don't read, than when I do, lol. 

Yup, wasn't going to admit it, but I do read in the bathroom. I do wipe my phone down often, I swear! 

I read in the bathroom after my shower when I'm drying off, getting dressed, applying lotion, brushing my hair, etc. and also when I'm brushing my teeth, flossing, using mouthwash, etc.   I don't use electronic books, though, - only real books from the library.  I wouldn't bring in an ebook because of all the moisture from my shower.  

I'll also plop a book on the floor and do planks and some stretching for my back.  

I always read a bit before bed.  I'd like to read more during the day, but like others have posted, I feel guilty for some reason reading a book in the middle of the day.  But I waste a ton of time on the internet during the day so it doesn't make sense that I'd feel guilty about one but not the other.  I do read a page here and there all day long - if I'm upstairs doing laundry or putting something away or whatever.  It all adds up!  🙂  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I would books on a boat
I would read books with a goat
I would read books in a line
I would read books anytime
I would read books here and there
I would read books anywhere

Oh my goodness I don't know how I missed this post. I only saw it when Katie @ktgrok quoted it. I love it! That's me too.

17 hours ago, Garga said:

I read while I eat. 

Dh and I often take our Kindles when we go out to eat. Not for a nice dinner of course but just casual restaurants. It's often too noisy to have a conversation so we read. I always remember reading while eating. I was that kid who would read the back of the cereal box if there was nothing else available.

29 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I read in the bathroom after my shower when I'm drying off, getting dressed, applying lotion, brushing my hair, etc. and also when I'm brushing my teeth, flossing, using mouthwash, etc.     I wouldn't bring in an ebook because of all the moisture from my shower.  

I listen to audio books while doing all of those things. I do take my phone into the shower and listen too. It's a water resistant, moisture resistant phone and there's a shelf in our shower far enough away from the shower head that I don't have to worry about it getting splashed even if it wasn't water resistant.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I listen to audio books while doing all of those things. I do take my phone into the shower and listen too. It's a water resistant, moisture resistant phone and there's a shelf in our shower far enough away from the shower head that I don't have to worry about it getting splashed even if it wasn't water resistant.

That's brilliant!  I wish I could listen to audio books because I'd get so much more reading done, but I just can't process what I'm hearing.  I must be a very visual learner because I need to read everything in print.  I was just talking to DH about this because my doctor doesn't like using the patient portal for communication and requested phone calls instead, but I struggle with phone conversations and really need to have things in writing.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lewelma said:

I get up early and read from 5am to 11am. I know it gets done because I do it first. 

How do you concentrate for that long?  And stay awake ...  

I wish I could do the same, but I'd be falling asleep and finding every undone chore that needed to be done right then.  😜

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, kathyl said:

I wish I could do the same, but I'd be falling asleep and finding every undone chore that needed to be done right then.  😜

Do you find what you are reading interesting? I might struggle with reading war and peace that long, but a suspense novel or something....I could read all day. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Do you find what you are reading interesting? I might struggle with reading war and peace that long, but a suspense novel or something....I could read all day. 

Well, I was starting the Agatha Christie novels in order like someone on this board had said they were doing.  They're interesting but there are so many characters.  Maybe I just haven't found something I love yet.

I also tried reading about gardening, but that was frustrating because the gardening books like Texas Month-by-Month Gardening just assume the reader knows all the flowers and doesn't show me the pictures of them.  I ended up feeling like an idiot.  I guess I need a gardening for preschoolers book.  lol

I like reading my Bible and exercise books for ideas.  Does that count?  😀

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kathyl said:

I also tried reading about gardening, but that was frustrating because the gardening books like Texas Month-by-Month Gardening just assume the reader knows all the flowers and doesn't show me the pictures of them.  I ended up feeling like an idiot.  I guess I need a gardening for preschoolers book.  lol

That's me too. Or I have to have several gardening books plus a notebook out at once. One for the tips, one for what the plants are, my phone so I can google all the other stuff that I don't know and the notebook to summarize all that back together again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Clarita said:

That's me too. Or I have to have several gardening books plus a notebook out at once. One for the tips, one for what the plants are, my phone so I can google all the other stuff that I don't know and the notebook to summarize all that back together again.

Yeah, and I'd also like to plan a garden that has gorgeous bright colors from March to November here.  We inherited all the flower beds with this house when we bought it and I can see where they did some of that.  But the beds were a mess due to neglect of the previous owner.  He said he was just watering and hoping to keep things alive.  That's about what we've been doing.  

Anyway, I thought about a notebook, and I got the app Picture This that some here recommended.  I just don't know how to plan anything, much less keep it alive.  And the gardening books assume some basic knowledge.  Oh well.  I didn't mean to hijack this thread.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kathyl said:

Well, I just get up early because I wake up.  I could just lay in bed for 2 hours until 7am but that is kind of boring. 🙂

I don't fall asleep because I am fascinated by what I read. I can't read fiction or even layperson nonfiction - bores me to tears. I read technical reading because I love it -- it really engages the mind. Currently on my lap is "post-political uncertainties: governing nuclear controversies in post Fukushima Japan." I have to write all over it to make sense of it, so definitely not falling asleep. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I've tried War and Peace, and yes it really is boring. I was trying to keep up with my older boy who decided to attack it at the age of 16. He finished; I didn't.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kathyl said:

This is my problem with taking time to read. Dishwasher needs to be emptied? OK, I'll do that, then read. Oh look at that dust! Well, I'll take care of that and then read. Ohh, those stove filters look bad.... Oh! it's time to make dinner! 🙄

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, marbel said:

This is my problem with taking time to read. Dishwasher needs to be emptied? OK, I'll do that, then read. Oh look at that dust! Well, I'll take care of that and then read. Ohh, those stove filters look bad.... Oh! it's time to make dinner! 🙄

Another reason I like coffee shops and libraries for reading time. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, marbel said:

I have exactly the opposite - I read instead of doing that stuff. Which is why I now like books on kindle unlimited that have read AND listen for free. Telling myself I can keep going with the book while doing chores is how they get done. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I have exactly the opposite - I read instead of doing that stuff. Which is why I now like books on kindle unlimited that have read AND listen for free. Telling myself I can keep going with the book while doing chores is how they get done. 

Yes, that's the value of audiobooks. And I sometimes get the Kindle edition and the audio edition and switch back and forth. But I would like to read more nonfiction and, for lack of a better word, "harder" books, and I need to actually read read them, not listen. 

14 minutes ago, marbel said:

Yes, that's the value of audiobooks. And I sometimes get the Kindle edition and the audio edition and switch back and forth. 

That's exactly what I do. I'm so spoiled that I now get grumpy if I have to just read, or just listen. I prefer to switch back and forth througout the day. But I agree about harder books being better just reading, not audio. I've got the audio version of Jesus and John Wayne and it just isn't working for me. Mostly because the author puts a lot of stuff in quotation marks and the only way to show that in the audio version is a slight change of tone or something, and it just sounds odd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1