Menu

Giving: For those who value giving, how do you decide where to donate?

LBC

This is a bit of a spin off question from my post for Christians who don't go to church, but I'm not directing this question specifically to Christians.

Dh and I were accustomed to giving 10% of our income to the church we attended. Now that we no longer attend church, there's a sense that something is missing. I love giving. It's not something I've ever done out of obligation. It's in my nature.

Dh and I do not feel comfortable writing a check to an organization we don't know anything about. There are so many organizations out there - how do you you choose? And when you choose, how do you determine if the organization is managing money well? The standard answer I used to get from people is that it is our responsibility to give, and we should not consider what happens to it afterward, but I don't believe that. I believe that organizations that rely on donations in order to operate need to be transparent in their use of those funds.

We do sponsor a child with World Vision, are part of a small monthly donation program that helps the homeless in our city, and we contribute to a humanitarian relief fund (purely selfish, since it enables a large tax deduction), but that's not the same to me as regularly supporting an orphanage, or helping to provide clean water to a village.

I realize this is a bit of a personal question, and I'm really not asking how much money you give. I'm just wondering how you go about deciding where your giving dollars will go - especially if you don't belong to a church where you give regularly.

Lori

I look for organizations that don't have a lot of overhead costs, are passionate about what they do, and do it well. It's important to me that as much of my donation as possible be put in the hands of the people that need it, so I tend to stay away from orgs with big staffs and big marketing budgets. Most of the organizations that we have given to in the past are known to me by word-of-mouth but a few I have found by searching online.

Many organizations publish their budgets, so you can see what is spent where. If it's an organization that I don't know much about, I read what I can find about them online, and look in forums and blogs, etc. It's nice to read first hand accounts of people who have volunteered in the organization and read about their experience.

I wrote a blog recently about organizations that I like; I'll repost it here in case any of them speak to you: :001_smile:

1) Gospel For Asia's Bridge of Hope Program - this program provides care and schooling to children in parts of Asia that do not have access to their own country's services because of their location or their social rankings (such as the lower castes in India). The children are taught the Christian message, receive clothing and supplies, medical care, and general schooling. They learn to read and speak English, which enables them to move beyond the trappings of poverty and social class. These are children that have been neglected, sometimes even shunned by their own people, their own country.

2) Half the Sky - this is a non-profit organization that takes over underfunded orphanages in China and completely transforms them. The orphanage itself is overhauled and turned into a bright, cheerful, stimulating environment. Then the orphanage is stocked with supplies: art supplies, developmental toys, etc. Nannies are trained in child development. Volunteers come in to hold the babies and provide them with social interaction. Older children are provided with higher education and music lessons. All of this through donations and volunteers.

3) Children's Hunger Relief Fund - these guys do so much great stuff. You can donate toward helping a village build its own water well, provide a loan to an entrepreneur that will allow him or her to start a business and provide for his or her family, or pay for the seeds and supplies that a farmer needs to be able to supply his family (and sometimes his village) with food. I love this organization because not only does it provide food and necessities to the poor, but it also teaches people the skills they need to become self-sufficient. What a gift!

4) Hands and Feet Project - I recently learned about this charity from a friend. They run an orphanage in Haiti with the goal of empowering these kids to be a force of change in their own country when they grow up. The charity was founded by Christian musicians. Horribly, a hurricane recently destroyed a large part of their property, buildings, and supplies. They are in desperate need of help right now.

5) Samaritan's Purse - Operation Christmas Child - this project is very fun and hands-on. You fill up a shoebox with toys and supplies that will be given to children around the world as Christmas presents. There are drop-off locations all over the U.S. if your church isn't already involved. The boxes are collected the week of November 17 - 24.

:001_smile:

...handful of charities, and have been contributing in various ways to ones that have impressed me in some way. Some of them have impressed me by being very efficient with their funds, and leveraged use of volunteers and inexpensive or local channels of materials.

Those include:

Lutheran World Relief

Bethania Kids (a Christian charity that provides support and education for very poor, low-caste children in India)

Community Outreach Mission Endeavor here in San Jose--they give away food, clothes, and other living essentials to 250 or so families regularly, and to other drop ins. There is a joy about how they do this, and they treat the families extremely respectfully.

Family Supportive Housing, again here in San Jose--they take in homeless families and educate them and get at least 2/3 of them into permanent housing in 3-6 months, a very good record around here.

Oxfam--trememdously reputable

Kiva--a microcredit company

Mount Cross in Felton--a wonderful outdoor camp, kind of oldstyle

Community Pregnancy Center--helps women deal with unexpected pregnancies

Global Fund for Women--specifically helps women's projects, in contrast to most charitable foundations

Vivace Youth Chorus--provides choral education to children

And we support missionary efforts locally and overseas. And give money directly to people in need very occasionally.

It has taken a long time to develop this list, and I don't consider all of it part of our Christian charity. Some of it is just charity, but still quite important.

I also think that our gifts of volunteer work are at least as important as the funds.

We give to the Epilepsy Foundation because epilepsy touches our lives. It runs in DH's family, and my son was recently diagnosed with it.

(Shameless plug here: Please visit my blog, and at the top on the upper-right corner there is a link to an epilepsy petition. I'd appreciate it if anyone out there would be willing to sign the petition to promote awareness.)

Anyway, I am one that is more apt to donate to causes that touch my heart: fire victims, fellow homeschoolers in need, etc.

My next donation (January) will be to a homeschooling friend of mine, Julie. Her beautiful four-year-old daughter was diagnosed with cancer this past August. While they have health insurance, it doesn't cover everything--not by a long shot. Her friends set up an Etsy shop for her as well. http://alyson.mystyl.us/

I always say follow your heart, you'll know where you are needed.

I give directly when it strikes me to give.

One of the last donations was to a family who was caring for a terminal grandparent.

The family care of a sick family member is exhausting and the caregiver can get so worn down. I like to give paper plates, cups, napkins so they don't have to spend time as much time cleaning the kitchen. Medical needs like rubber gloves, Ensure (if they need it), diaper wipes....Home Cooked frozen meals ( or just frozen store bought meals like lasagna) and little yummies like quality jams, syrups. Magazine subscriptions to offer little distractions. Help with errands.

You don't have to look far to see someone who could benefit from your generosity.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

We prefer to give where there is a specific need and have supported different people in the past (a blind child's Kindermusik lessons, college fees, university books for another student, a disabled person's rent, etc) so we know exactly where our money is going. In addition we do support a reputable children's charity on a monthly basis.

There are beggers wherever we go here in town. At every traffic light. In front of the post office and library. Every parking lot or space has a car guard - people who "look after" the car to ensure it is not stolen. I usually give the guards a small donation as they're trying to offer a service. It adds up to do this daily! We also have many street vendors. And people selling stuff at the traffic lights. I will never buy food off them, but will support their informal businesses whenever I can.

It's very hard not to give money to the street children, but its not for their good. They are mostly controlled by adults who exploit them. I sometimes give them fruit or milk, but I've never seen a child eat or drink this. They take it back to their controller. At least it can't be spent on drugs! The charity we support helps street children.

We try to support local organizations. Not only does it contribute to our community, we've got a better idea of who runs them and where the money goes. Often we can offer our time in addition to our dollars, which makes it more real and meaningful to our children.

This year we're giving to an organization that serves children and their families at risk for child abuse, and we're giving to the community gardens that grow food for the food bank, the summer lunch program, and offer low-cost CSA boxes (weekly fresh veggies) to low-income families. We'll volunteer some time at the garden in the spring, too. Our children participate in a tuition-based choir that relies on donations and fundraisers to cover scholarships and operating expenses.

Other ideas for local charities to look for: Animal shelters, food bank, domestic violence shelters, housing programs, programs that provide parenting support and education for new parents, programs that provide basic necessities for children in foster care.

ETA: We decide by choosing issues meaningful to us, then decide where our money should go. It is difficult to choose.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

I look for organizations that don't have a lot of overhead costs, are passionate about what they do, and do it well.

Generally speaking, most of our giving goes to the church, but we also donate to church-related organizations that have a high degree of accountability. For example, there is a church rescue mission in a town south of us that is very well-run, which feeds the poor and homeless, and we give to that organization. My dh is also good friends with the director of a Christian camp not too far from us which provides free camping for inner-city kids. The director is just the cream of the cream---very ethical and compassionate, so we also give to that group. It does help if we know the directors of an organization. These two that I mentioned we enjoy giving to, because we know the people or groups that run them, and we know that they give tremendous help to those in need.

Like you we support a child through World Vision and also donate to SOS Childrens Village, but we wanted to do more locally so we set up an automatic withdrawl to Feed Nova Scotia our local food bank organization. We give help as situations arise to people who come in contact with us or people/organizations in the community who are in need.

Find a medical condition to support, based on what a relative or friend has. For us, it is autism research. For our neighbor down the street - it is cancer research.

Or, if you choose, your local USO, to support the troops. Or sponsor a kid or two from a poor area here or abroad.

Or - your local shelter for women/kids or homeless folks, or the nearest service place for disabled adults that provides work/services.

Even the local animal shelter - I read in the news that a great many dogs are being abandoned now by folks unable to afford to keep them.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten is a great site to get info on how well a company does with managing money. The better business bureau is another good place.

We give both to the church and to charities that are important to us. Our son has cancer, so now we give to Curesearch since they support the Children's Oncology Group which cares for 90% of the pediatric cancer patients in this country including my son. We also support our children's hospital. Everyone has something that affects them or those they love, so start there and see what is available to donate too that manages their money well.

There is an organization that verifies good financial practices for charitable groups and other organizations: The Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). If you look at the website of the charity you are considering, having that certification will let you know that the group is using its funds properly. Or, you can go to the EFCA website and check out the lists of members (bottom left). http://ecfa.org/Default.aspx

We also like to make sure we are beibg good steward by choosing to give to those that are good stewards of what God gives them. I look for ministries that I can see were the money goes. Two of the places we regularly give to are:

The Evangelical Siterhood of Mary ( not Catholic, Evangelical) I didn't know there was such a thing until I visited thier prayer garden a few years ago.

They truely live by faith, never asking for money. If you want to read the book of their amazing journey, relying soley on The Father and how He has provided- Their book "Realities of Faith" is free to read here online:

http://www.canaaninthedesert.com/online_books.php

I love that they don't ever ask for money!:thumbup: I get so tired of all the things I get in the mail from other orangization bugging me to give. I can't help but think "How much did it cost for them to send me this elaborate brochure?"

The Sisters actually send me something every time I give. Sometimes I get a whole book in the mail just as a thank you for the gift I sent them! All the money I send them goes to their ministry.For necessities like food they rely on other gifts ( ex. there is a man that goes to one of the grocery stores in town and asks to have anything they are throwing out and brings it to the Sisters )You can read more about their minitry here:

http://www.canaaninthedesert.com/index.php in the U.S.

http://www.kanaan.org/ around the world

If you order any of their book they will not charge you it is an "only if you feel led to give" setup. However I always feel like giving to these wonderful ladies.:001_smile:

I am very strongly against missionary type organizations. I have seen the devestation they leave behind and the absolute corruption they employ (don't get me started on the Mormons). So I look for an organization that works WITH the locals without forcing or encouraging or obligating a Christian (or any other religious) bent. Luckily it is very easy to give directly here in Mexico, to those who can really use the help.

Santa is also bringing our family a KIVA gift certificate (as well as to my family in the US). My kids are knitting items for the kids in Xico (very cold climate in the winter) Mexico (yes, we have them :)) - but all these directly involved donations are coordinated with people living in the community and involve no large organization. I have also looked into the Heifer Project and maybe we'll do that one. Local to the Caribbean (which was absolutely HAMMERED this season with hurricanes) there is the Lambi Fund which is very close to KIVA except only for Haiti.