Menu

low reading level, high interest books for friend

One of the lovely young men in our homeschool social circle is a teen with some learning and developmental disabilities who reads more on a 3-5th grade level (probably better to stick to 3-4th). But he, i can't tell, wants to read books that look more interesting/exciting than some of the typical books for say, a 3rd grader. I did suggest audio books from the library as a way to enjoy the books he sees other teens his age reading, which excited him, but he also would like some new books to actually read. He did say he has read a few Hardy Boys books and liked them but then got bored with them. I am going to lend him the first Trixie Belden book to see if he likes it, but other than that, any ideas?

Hi-Lo:

Dog Man (390L--2nd/3rd)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (900-1000L usually, across the series, but the pictures really help)

Wonderstruck (830L, graphics help)

Time Warp Trio (high 500s, low 600s across the series)

Bad Kitty (610-720---maybe a bit juvenile, but it's just funny)

Who Is/What Was series (there are seemingly hundreds of these), I Survived...., You Wouldn't Want to Be....

slightly above that in level:

Amari and the Night Brothers (700L reading level--end of 3rd/beginning 4th)

all of the Rick Riordan books (most are low 700L)

Ranger Apprentice series (800-950L--so maybe stretching a bit as there are few images)

If you can get E-Boy by Anh Do, it's a good one for low vocab high interest. Actually Wolf Girl, Rise of the Mythix and SkyDragon might be good too. They're very popular here for the 9+ crowd, use short simple sentences, but are very exciting. E-Boy is the 'oldest' in a way, the main character is a teen and it's kind of like astro boy. Anh Do is a very, very popular Australian author for kids over here (and an interesting person - came to Australia as a Vietnamese refugee by boat as a kid, became a comedian & actor, and now an author).

• 2 weeks later...

For this young man, I would recommend considering book series that are engaging and enjoyable for a 3rd-4th grade reading level but still provide an exciting storyline. Some options to explore could be the "Magic Tree House" series by Mary Pope Osborne, the "Geronimo Stilton" series by Geronimo Stilton, and the "Captain Underpants" series by Dav Pilkey.

7 hours ago, eve0806 said:

For this young man, I would recommend considering book series that are engaging and enjoyable for a 3rd-4th grade reading level but still provide an exciting storyline. Some options to explore could be the "Magic Tree House" series by Mary Pope Osborne, the "Geronimo Stilton" series by Geronimo Stilton, and the "Captain Underpants" series by Dav Pilkey.

These books are not appropriate for a teen with a 3rd-4th grade reading level.

• Like 1