Menu

What grade do you begin having dc read the majority of their History/Science work? s

Allison TX

I've been transitioning my 6th grader into independent reading of history and science (SOTW IV and Rainbow Science) this year. I read the material prior to his reading then we discuss together. I think the discussion part is necessary. I can gauge how well he's understanding the material. If he's not clear on important points I direct him back to the text to read again.

I think it depends on the reading ability and maturity of the kiddo.

You know, I think it is important to read the spines to/with my children. I think the auditory input/processing of information is important. And I find that it is a natural opportunity to discuss the material.

I will say that now in 7th grade, I am having my son read Spielvogel's Human Odyssey on his own *after* I have read K12's Human Odyssey to him and we have discussed it. The K12 book is sort of like a lecture and the Spielvogel book is like homework.

For science, I am having him read the text to me. This gives him practice reading and comprehending without the benefit of a "lecture". We then discuss what he has read.

My daughter has been reading her own science aloud to me since halfway through K--that's the benefit of teaching reading and spelling with Webster, it really teaches to an advanced level, and they are ready to tackle almost any reading material once they've gotten to the 2 and 3 syllable words. When I'm busy with something, I let her read it silently and ask her a question or two when she is done.

My mom was skeptical about the whole homeschooling thing, now she likes to brag about how well her granddaughter reads!

I'm not a big fan of "readers" that don't teach much of anything, we focused on learning the phonics basics, when those were mastered, we went straight to normal books that have a decent story line or teach something.

Although my kids are perfectly capable of reading most of their books alone, I find that one of the parts of homeschooling I like the best is reading aloud one or two books each week, and it is my kids' and my experience that we get a lot more out of spines when we do them together. History is definitely the centre of our curriculum in that way- it is the theme off which a lot hangs.

So although I would say 4th grade is about the time kids are able to transition to more independent reading, for sure, do what is right for your family in terms of reading aloud. I dont see a problem with reading aloud and together certain books all the way through highschool- in terms of shared experience and discussion, nothing can beat it.

So although I would say 4th grade is about the time kids are able to transition to more independent reading, for sure, do what is right for your family in terms of reading aloud. I dont see a problem with reading aloud and together certain books all the way through highschool- in terms of shared experience and discussion, nothing can beat it.

:iagree:

Reading aloud history and literature then discussing them were some of the best parts of high school. It is that rare "shared experience." You have lots of it now, but it will become more precious.

I have been thinking alot about this lately as my oldest is in Gr. 4. Next year, we will go through the history and science cycles for the 2nd time. This time around, though, I will have all 3 chldren doing these subjects. My oldest will be using a different curriculum than the younger 2. I can't see doing two histories and sciences so I want my dd to be able to do this on her own.

I was thinking of having her do the spines on her own and then we would either read the supplemental reading together or we would get together for discussion once or twice a week, depending on the book. I would really like to read all of this with her but time-wise this is not practical. Also, I think she needs to start to do some things on her own. I expect, though, there will be a lot of handholding throughout next year as she transitions into this way of doing school.

My son's been reading history and science books on his own since 3rd grade. However, he is an advanced reader for his age (he finished reading all the Harry Potter books spring/summer before third grade).

I think it will vary according to the child's reading abilities, but I think if you can find material that holds their interest....

Less so this year (4th grade), but last year I found he did better reading science and history books that were written using language a little below the level of the fictional material he was reading.

Although my kids are perfectly capable of reading most of their books alone, I find that one of the parts of homeschooling I like the best is reading aloud one or two books each week, and it is my kids' and my experience that we get a lot more out of spines when we do them together. History is definitely the centre of our curriculum in that way- it is the theme off which a lot hangs.

:iagree:

:iagree: too. We use a CM approach to science and enjoy our read a loud time tremendously yet we still have book baskets so our dc can pick and read independently also. I have some read a loud books with my high school child also. We have shared some wonderful discussions.

This is his second (maybe third?) year doing his history and science reading on his own. We were continuing to do some reading aloud, mostly literature-type-stuff, until last year, when he made it clear he much preferred doing it himself.

This may be a personality thing, though, because my daughter enjoyed and benefitted from more reading aloud for longer. I think she was 11 before she was doing all of her history and science reading by herself, and we continued to read literature aloud even after that.

This is my experience exactly!! I like to learn right along with my kids and when I read outloud we are all in it together. My plan was to turn the science reading over to the kids this year and let them do it independently, but I didn't like being out of the loop, so we went back to doing it together. I do have them do some of their history readings on their own so they are getting practice, but I always read some of it outloud with them too.