Menu

If you could have ANY job, what would it be?

Ottakee

20 hours ago, Selkie said:

My dream job from the time I was a tiny kid was to have my own animal sanctuary, and I’ve lived that dream for the past 33 years. At last count, we’ve had upwards of 50 rescue dogs, plus many horses, cats, and assorted other creatures in need of a home. It has been years of hard labor and long hours (dh and I haven’t been on vacation in many years), but it is a wonderful way to use my life.

To pay the bills for the above, I also had another, not-so-dreamy job as a business owner for 30 years.

Selkie, I just want to say thank you, from my tender animal-loving heart, for all that you do.  🙂 

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

A fairy godmother with many assignments. 

Mercy, you'd be a great one!  May I be your first fairy goddaughter?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A job that I wish I'd pursued thirty years ago, when it first came onto my radar after a career inventory, is pediatric audiologist.  At this point, I don't think that it makes any sense to pursue it now, though.

Next up dream job would be to find some way to continue teaching, classical style.

• Like 1

Director of a well-funded nonprofit that helps animal shelters learn and implement best practices. 

Director of a well-funded nonprofit whose sole purpose is to audit systems and people who are meant to serve the community - school districts, local governments and politicians - and publicize and explain the results. 

Operate or just teach at a small cottage school that aligns with most of my educational beliefs, and has the wherewithal to fire obnoxious parents. 

Nanny, but only for potty-trained and up kids that I really like, who have lovely parents. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, Kidlit said:

Then again, by that time, I'd possibly be "too old" to go work anyway, so the point would likely be moot. 

Nope. Lots of us on the board have gone back to work after long stints at home, which also means we were old, lol. 

I went back to full-time outside employment in my 50s. 

Travel writer … travel blogger … stage actress … historical reenactor … actor in haunted house (I did this once) … food taster … the person who names crayon colors … toy developer … Disney cast member … singer … trip planner … tour guide … poet … co-author … person who works at tourist information desk … gift shop owner … b and b owner … storybook reader at story time … trip planner … university lecturer … adult education … organizer/Declutter …YouTuber/influencer … crafter/DIYer … counsellor … anthropologist …person who does furniture makeovers … run a small cafe by a stream  … fairy … mermaid … work with plants … entrepreneur … publisher …  small used bookstore owner

6 hours ago, katilac said:

Nope. Lots of us on the board have gone back to work after long stints at home, which also means we were old, lol. 

I went back to full-time outside employment in my 50s. 

Well, my problem is that if I DID stay home until my youngest is 18, I'd be 57 when attempting to return to work.  Because I work in education (& because we're not DESPERATE for teachers or librarians here), I'm pretty certain the type of job I'd have to take would end up not being worth it based on paycheck alone. 

I did return to work at 45-ish after "only" working part-time as an adjunct for our homeschool years and I definitely think age discrimination is a thing! 

My original dream job when I was a teen was veterinarian.  The reality of the years of school when I had to pay for it all myself, as well as pay for regular living expenses, kind of put an end to that.  In hindsight, I don't know if I would have really enjoyed it anyway. 

Park ranger/wildlife educator was a second choice and something I think I would still enjoy.  I was a docent at a zoo for about 10 years in my 20's/early 30's and really enjoyed that.   

I would love to own a used bookstore.  

I do really enjoy what I do know.  I run a science center where we teach science/STEM classes to homeschoolers.   We do fun themed summer camps.  Since I run it, there's a lot of flexibility on what we teach and how we teach it, and I don't really have to answer to anyone else.   I can decide that some parents/families aren't worth dealing with and just, not deal with them.  

We don't have the space right now, but someday I would like to open a used bookstore and/or homeschool resource center alongside my science center.    

On 6/28/2023 at 1:40 PM, wintermom said:

Gardener - in a warm climate, like Costa Rica! 😉 

An when it's too hot in Costa Rica, I'll be helping tourists spot whales in Tadoussac, Quebec!!! Wow! It's beautiful here! 

20230701_151723.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3