Menu

Dream property available - WWYD?

41 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

But wouldn't the earnest money only be held for a few days, while the sellers made their decision to accept, reject, or counter your offer?

I think so but it was already a long shot and now that he has spoken with others who have also toured the property, he is over it.

He's sleeping now and I cannot speak to him about other options and possibilities. By the time he wakes up the standard business day will have concluded and the earliest anything can be done is tomorrow morning.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I think so but it was already a long shot and now that he has spoken with others who have also toured the property, he is over it.

He's sleeping now (has been running those night time trains) and I cannot speak to him about other options and possibilities. By the time he wakes up the standard business day will have concluded and the earliest anything can be done is tomorrow morning.

I didn't realize that nothing could be done after business hours. We have negotiated on houses in the evenings and on weekends, so that thought never occurred to me.

I hope you get to make an offer on it. It sounds like you really love the property! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

2 people

Kinda handy but willing to learn and provide labor. Definitely could handle chaos as long as there is progress. Chaos for chaos' sake, not so much.

We would use the profits from our current house for the down payment and immediate needs.

I know this is likely over and I'm sorry for your disappointment, but this stopped me. Would your husband be up for a huge project like this while he is also working full-time? I have known quite a few motivated project-loving people who bit off more than they could chew on house projects, and ended up unhappy with the results. Obviously I don't know you/your husband, but it sounds like a lot for evenings and weekends. 

I know it's hard to walk away from a dream. 💗

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I didn't realize that nothing could be done after business hours. We have negotiated on houses in the evenings and on weekends, so that thought never occurred to me.

I hope you get to make an offer on it. It sounds like you really love the property! 

It's complicated for us because DH works 12 hour shifts and with railroad restrictions, he cannot use his cellphone while on duty. Everything has to be done in those few precious hours when businesses are open and he is home and awake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Yes, this is our biggest concern; that and the termites. The current septic is close to the well and uphill from the pond. We are concerned about leeching into the pond and how safe the well water is. The current well is 125 ft deep.

Edited: looked up the statutes and the leech field has to be a minimum of 100 feet from the pond. It is definitely more than 100ft but it is uphill from the pond. I am concerned about the run off. I wonder how much it would cost to have the pond water tested?

The leech field must be a minimum of 75 feet from a closed loop well system. It is not currently 75 feet away, maybe 50.

The septic tank must be a minimum of 50 feet from a closed loop well system, It is not. It is 37 feet (the realtor measured for me when we were on our first tour). 

DH and I owned a couple of acres a few miles away from this property when we first moved here. We had to replace that septic system after a couple of years so we knew the basic distance between a well and a septic but not the leech field to a pond.

You might talk with someone about an engineered septic system, one with a solid tank and no leechfields.  For just the two of you, the increased frequency of pump outs would not be that great, perhaps.  These are getting pretty common up in the nearby mountains at homes right near rivers and streams.  Typically the washing machine and often some or all of the sinks drain just ‘outside’ while the sewage and kitchen effluents go to the septic tank.

“The Septic System Owner’s Manual” by Kahn and Allen is excellent with explanations and cross sections of most of the common designs.  It’s also great on maintenance questions and such.  We keep a copy in the bathroom of our cabin and read it little by little more or less continuously.

I’m sorry that your DH has soured on this idea, but I think it would make sense to put in a low offer with a letter of explanation.  If you say that you love the land, and have lived here for a long time and this site would be your dream, but you would have to pay to remove the house and move the septic before you could even consider building, a family that would rather that the property went to someone who loves it like their parents did might consider this as a higher use offer than having it be stripped out to be added to an adjacent farm.  And doing such an offer is free.  Even if all you did was cram yourself into a big camping vehicle to live there at first, this could be a viable adventure.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, marbel said:

I know this is likely over and I'm sorry for your disappointment, but this stopped me. Would your husband be up for a huge project like this while he is also working full-time? I have known quite a few motivated project-loving people who bit off more than they could chew on house projects, and ended up unhappy with the results. Obviously I don't know you/your husband, but it sounds like a lot for evenings and weekends. 

I know it's hard to walk away from a dream. 💗

I guess it would have been a way to determine which 'dreams' belong to both of us and which are more one-sided. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I guess it would have been a way to determine which 'dreams' belong to both of us and which are more one-sided. 

As I think that you agree, this sort of dream has to belong to both of you - especially since it seems like he would be the one who would bear the brunt of fixing things up. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

My daydreams have been filled with walks through the property with my dogs, floating on the pond while reading, watching the deer from the back porch.

So now I deal with disappointment.  

Aww, I'm sorry. 

Could you plan some some nature-y trips to dull the pain? 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

That's what I suggested but DH doesn't want to tie up any funds in earnest money for a slim chance. 

I thought earnest money was only cashed if they accept the offer.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:45 AM, DawnM said:

I thought earnest money was only cashed if they accept the offer.

And I think you generally have 10 days -- probably varies by state -- to do inspections and walk away from the purchase, no questions asked and get a full refund of the earnest money.

• Like 1