Menu

DD6 tired of math mammoth

Nm.

Dd6 is young for her grade but I’d rather her not be behind like her siblings (I bought into the idea that there was no such thing as behind for some of mine- oops).  She’s basically sick of math mammoth, with a few chapters left of level 1.  She’s too young to push her to continue, what can I give her that might be more colorful and fun to bridge her to second grade?  She’s working on math facts via xtra math.  Please don’t say games.. I have those- she needs independent fun workbook.  When it gets colder in the fall we will start math with confidence 2, and I would like her to be ready for it.

Edited by Nm.
Sick of math mammoth- not math 🙃

I think it's important that kids not get the idea that they can dictate when to stop in a homeschool situation.  I don't mean that you need to just keep going at all costs, but that the stopping point should be obviously initiated by you.  

• Like 3

I’m ready to put away math mammoth and just have her work on basic concepts over the summer to prepare her for math with confidence (which is gentler).  I would sit with her and do some of it- but just a quick through of concepts with pictures and color would be nice.

ETA.. not finding anything good.  Will try setting timer and see how it goes.  

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1

This is the time of year I'd whip out a cheap workbook from Amazon.  DS did Math Adventures, which has stickers and themed books for each level.  However, when I went to look I noticed the "grade 2" book was over $30, whereas the 5th grade one is still $10.  But there is a ton of others out there to just tread water for a few weeks before getting back to the grind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Math card games and board games. 

This is exactly what I thought (and what has helped mine when they were burnt out or angry about math) but the OP specifically said no games, child needs independent work (which sounds like trying to keep the kid busy, IMO, given the description). Maybe siblings could play games with child? In my experience, 6-year-olds may struggle with fine motor skills or isolation when told to do math by themselves. And none of my kids are at all behind in math. On the contrary, they are generally a few years ahead.

Emily

• Like 1

She will probably do fine going to MWC 2 without finishing MM1 or doing any extra work this summer, it's pretty gentle at the beginning of the year, quite a bit of review. If you want to add something more, maybe a kumon workbook?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nm. said:

...she needs independent fun workbook.

Frankly, I think the most appropriate thing would be for you to work interactively with her on whatever it is you decide on.  RightStart B is great for this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

This is exactly what I thought (and what has helped mine when they were burnt out or angry about math) but the OP specifically said no games, child needs independent work (which sounds like trying to keep the kid busy, IMO, given the description). Maybe siblings could play games with child? In my experience, 6-year-olds may struggle with fine motor skills or isolation when told to do math by themselves. And none of my kids are at all behind in math. On the contrary, they are generally a few years ahead.

Emily

I know so many math games and have all the card decks and blocks  and boards and everything in my cabinet.  At this age, there are only so many for kids. Boredom sets in quick for both the parent and the child unless there is a dedicated attempt to bring in fresh variations of the same material.  Games are fine, but they have a place within a larger scope.

• Like 2

MEP is full K-12 curriculum out of the UK that is free online.  It is well designed and has lots of different type of work.  You could just do the pages that you want and not buy anything. It does have very good puzzlers. 

• Like 1

• Nm. changed the title to DD6 tired of math mammoth
1 hour ago, Nm. said:

@wendyroostarwars looks great..  If she’s almost done with math mammoth 1, would Star Wars 1 be a good fit? (I think you use MM)

I think it would probably be pretty easy, but in a good way. My DD is pretty much done with MM3 and she is going through Star Wars math 3 just because it is fun. Quite a bit is review, but some of the pages present the concepts in a slightly unfamiliar way which is good for her.

• Like 2

@ScoutTN I’m not sure.  We take off a lot of nice days in the spring and fall since none of us like the heat (unless swimming).  Sometimes whole days other times half days.  They usually have lots of school breaks off since DH is a teacher.  However he works in the summer.   One of mine has ASD and thrives on routines all year.  Taking off school completely for more than a few days is disastrous for him.  Asking only him to stick to a routine doesn’t work either lol.  Still trying to figure things out.  We sometimes do 4 day weeks with fridays off.  It’s easy to lose track of all the days off and get behind.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nm. said:

@ScoutTN I’m not sure.  We take off a lot of nice days in the spring and fall since none of us like the heat (unless swimming).  Sometimes whole days other times half days.  They usually have lots of school breaks off since DH is a teacher.  However he works in the summer.   One of mine has ASD and thrives on routines all year.  Taking off school completely for more than a few days is disastrous for him.  Asking only him to stick to a routine doesn’t work either lol.  Still trying to figure things out.  We sometimes do 4 day weeks with fridays off.  It’s easy to lose track of all the days off and get behind.

We don't take summers off for similar reasons...three of mine are diagnosed ASD and the other is suspected, so taking time off is a complete disaster. Free time is our nemesis, so I keep our summers pretty structured with school time, social time, play time, exercise time, outings, etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

We don't take summers off for similar reasons...three of mine are diagnosed ASD and the other is suspected, so taking time off is a complete disaster. Free time is our nemesis, so I keep our summers pretty structured with school time, social time, play time, exercise time, outings, etc.

I understand! I have a 16 yo with ADHD who thrives on structure and tanks without it. His summers have plenty of it, just not much in the way of academics. He needs a break from that. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 8:03 PM, EKS said:

I think it's important that kids not get the idea that they can dictate when to stop in a homeschool situation.  I don't mean that you need to just keep going at all costs, but that the stopping point should be obviously initiated by you.  

I don't agree with that. When I tried to do that with my kids, I initiated countless unproductive power struggles. 

At this point, I am clear about my non-negotiables (which are never things like "you must finish THIS SPECIFIC WORKBOOK" but are rather about my homeschooling goals), they're clear about theirs, and we solve problems together. That works far better for us. 

• Like 3

Decided to stick to math mammoth using a timer for 10 minutes, lots of fun manipulatives (from tgtb’s old version), mathusee blocks and some tgtb games I have.  Will order a few math picture books from library (it’s been a little while)- they also have life of Fred.  It took a bit of reorganizing (bought one of those three tier carts) so that Everything is in one place ready to go- less chance of her running away while I look for something.  The timer is key to getting her to come sit with me.  She usually enjoys it once we start.  It’s only 10 minutes + a quick game/story.  Thank you for all the suggestions; it always helps to see what else is out there.  She’s the happiest little girl and I want to keep it that way.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 5