Menu

Job searchers: check in here?

Halftime Hope

I'll be starting a job on Monday. It's not what I wanted, but I'll give it a go. I do know that my immediate supervisor has a great reputation as a good boss and a good manager, and in my experience, that has value. I'll need to see if there are ways to bring in side-hustle income, since the compensation is not what it should be. 

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I'll be starting a job on Monday. It's not what I wanted, but I'll give it a go. I do know that my immediate supervisor has a great reputation as a good boss and a good manager, and in my experience, that has value. I'll need to see if there are ways to bring in side-hustle income, since the compensation is not what it should be. 

Congratulations!!

• Thanks 1

@Laura Corin This happened to DH once. After receiving a new job offer, his boss managed to get approval for a raise and new title to get him to stay. DH stayed, because he worked really well with that boss. So it can work out!

If you were worried about losing your job with the restructuring, I think this shows you how much they value you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My bookstore job application is moving slowly forward. They called yesterday (a week after my second interview) to say that they had checked my references, and now they would run the background check. I had to complete an online form for them to initiate that.

It's taking them weeks to get through the hiring process for a part-time retail job. I'm surprised that it takes that long. When I managed a Waldenbooks, I would offer good candidates a job on the spot, if I wanted to. And when I needed to hire, I often needed someone in the position as soon as possible. So this process is slow for me, but I don't really mind, now that I know an offer will be coming.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Laura, somehow I missed (or forgot -- ughhh) that your mother had passed away. I didn't know that. That is such a huge change...I hope you go easy on yourself and take the time needed to grieve that massive change in your life. 

I hope this is a wake-up call for your current colleagues, and they make good on treasuring you! 🙂

Thank you. My mum died at the end of last year. I was really side-swiped by how long the effects have lingered.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Thank you. My mum died at the end of last year. I was really side-swiped by how long the effects have lingered.

Yes, I understand! It can be a hard blow for a variety of reasons. Keep us posted; it'll be good to know how things are coming along. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin That is so nice that your current supervisor and high-up leadership are showing you so much support and immediate efforts to keep you! What a great boost for your confidence! I really hope that things work out well, no matter which job you choose!

And I hear you with the death of a parent hitting harder and longer than expected. I lost my dad suddenly just over a year ago, and I'm just starting to come to grips with things. I just bought a memorial tree for him a couple weeks ago, and it was a lot more emotional than I was expecting. 

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Storygirl said:

My bookstore job application is moving slowly forward. They called yesterday (a week after my second interview) to say that they had checked my references, and now they would run the background check. I had to complete an online form for them to initiate that.

It's taking them weeks to get through the hiring process for a part-time retail job. I'm surprised that it takes that long. When I managed a Waldenbooks, I would offer good candidates a job on the spot, if I wanted to. And when I needed to hire, I often needed someone in the position as soon as possible. So this process is slow for me, but I don't really mind, now that I know an offer will be coming.

Yep, isn't it crazy! This has been a slow-mo process for my job, too!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Congratulations! 

They called today to offer me the Barnes and Noble bookseller job (15-20 hours per week), and I accepted! I have orientation on Thursday.

I have done some freelance work and volunteering at times over the last twenty years, but I haven't been employed outside the home since 2002. I have a lot of bookstore experience, so I know what to expect and hope that I will enjoy working at this store, but it's going to be a big change.

• Like 18

On 6/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, Laura Corin said:

No, I can't get anything in writing because the structure is not in place. So nothing is certain.  The other job I was offered is not a dream job, however, so I  am inclining towards staying put and seeing if they come good on their assurances within the next six months. If not, I can think again.

I also think that I am mentally a bit volatile at the moment. The pandemic years plus my mother's death and this reorganisation have been a lot, and I think that my sudden job searching may have been a symptom of that, rather than a considered move. I'm not sure, on reflection,  that I'm strong enough for a big change right now.

I accepted a deal to stay in my current job.  My boss wrote me an email setting it out - so not a contract, but as far as he can go.

- I will be going to 4 days a week from the beginning of the next semester, and

- they will make it possible for me to take leave during the semester (we are currently constrained to only take leave during the breaks, and with Husband already retired, this matters to us).  The UK standard is 4 weeks of leave at the minimum and it gets tricky to manage, and

- to my astonishment, my boss also arranged a small pay raise, above the level that is standard for my job grade.

My ego has been well stroked and I think the job will be sustainable for a few years at least.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, Laura Corin said:

I accepted a deal to stay in my current job.  My boss wrote me an email setting it out - so not a contract, but as far as he can go.

- they will make it possible for me to take leave during the semester (we are currently constrained to only take leave during the breaks, and with Husband already retired, this matters to us).  The UK standard is 4 weeks of leave at the minimum and it gets tricky to manage, and

- to my astonishment, my boss also arranged a small pay raise, above the level that is standard for my job grade.

My ego has been well stroked and I think the job will be sustainable for a few years at least.

I'm in the same boat right now. My employer suggested staying on other conditions. He decided to implement the enterprise learning management system to help the company organize training content, track learning, and oversee certifications. I agreed to work further. Even if I decide to quit later, I'll gain new knowledge and skills.

Edited by Rosla
  • Like 6

A roller coaster over here. I thought I posted here about my second interview and how I wore the same outfit as to my I first but was way underdressed? Anyway, I did not think the interview went all that well but was contacted a few days later and told I was selected to move to the background phase. But I really liked the first agency I interviewed at and the supervisor wanted me to start the background in August, if the position opens up for sure. I was sort of hoping the second position would turn me down so I would not have to go back a forth on what to do. I felt a little out of place there whereas the first agency, I could really see myself there. Agency #2 position for sure starts in September after a background starting soon. I wasn’t sure what to do and what just waiting to hear from HR for the second position to start my background. And fretting about having to tell agency #1. 

Well, yesterday, agency#1 emailed and they have an opening immediately and could I start the background tomorrow? I pick up the packet in the morning. I was hoping for something like this to happen! But, how do I tell the other agency I need to decline? 

I have not been contacted about starting the background yet for agency #2 but probably will be in the next few days. I am laughing because my first post in this thread was about how I have not worked in almost 30 years and not sure how this was going to go. Now I am turning a position down?!? Lol. I need help wording the email? Do I mention agency #1 or just that circumstances have changed? Help!

• Like 10

Congrats to all who have found work!  I did my first day as a supply teacher yesterday and I really liked it!  The school year is almost over, but I am hoping that in the fall, I will be called often.

The teaching assistant job was already filled when I applied, but I am keeping my eyes open for other opportunities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is exciting to see so many of us get job offers. Congratulations everyone!

I applied for the position I went back to school to prepare for today. I'm really nervous! It would be easier if I didn't care about this particular position so much.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

I applied for the position I went back to school to prepare for today. I'm really nervous! It would be easier if I didn't care about this particular position so much.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, sbgrace said:

Excited for you! And same circumstances for me. Wishing you the best!

• Like 3

Congrats to all who have found work! It is so intimidating returning to the workforce, at least it was for me. Compounded by my desire to use my skills but NEVER to return to the high-stress situation I had before leaving the workforce. I have been working freelance from home, not that many hours but getting my hand back in. This morning dh was laid off AGAIN and will be job hunting. No idea how long that will take and he is looking for a work-from-home position at age 64. Ideally we'd like 2 more years here while youngest finishes college before relocating where we can afford to live on less.

Anyway, as a result of the layoff my income begins to matter again and I am going to have to up my game as I look either for more clients (and it's kind of a nich that I write for) or a f/t job (which I haven't had for 26 years) that will hire someone over 65! I love how you ladies encourage each other.

• Like 9

On 6/6/2023 at 5:19 AM, Laura Corin said:

It's been a busy two weeks with my new job and a new little grandchild, so I'm very late with the congratulations on your wonderful news! I'm so glad your boss has worked out all of this and you feel appreciated! Hearty congratulations, and enjoy your new scheduling freedom!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Congrats to all who have found work! It is so intimidating returning to the workforce, at least it was for me. Compounded by my desire to use my skills but NEVER to return to the high-stress situation I had before leaving the workforce. I have been working freelance from home, not that many hours but getting my hand back in. This morning dh was laid off AGAIN and will be job hunting. No idea how long that will take and he is looking for a work-from-home position at age 64. Ideally we'd like 2 more years here while youngest finishes college before relocating where we can afford to live on less.

Anyway, as a result of the layoff my income begins to matter again and I am going to have to up my game as I look either for more clients (and it's kind of a nich that I write for) or a f/t job (which I haven't had for 26 years) that will hire someone over 65! I love how you ladies encourage each other.

@Laurel-in-CA Encourage your dh, if he is looking at WFH, chances are great for him. One of my kids works in a niche recruiting field, and he indicated that if a person's skills and relatability are on par, in his experience age is not a barrier. WFH seems to be a good fit for many older employees who won't miss commuting and interpersonal dynamics. 

Best of luck to him and to you! 

3 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

@Laurel-in-CA Encourage your dh, if he is looking at WFH, chances are great for him. One of my kids works in a niche recruiting field, and he indicated that if a person's skills and relatability are on par, in his experience age is not a barrier. WFH seems to be a good fit for many older employees who won't miss commuting and interpersonal dynamics. 

Best of luck to him and to you! 

Thanks so much for that good word!

6 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

It's been a busy two weeks with my new job and a new little grandchild, so I'm very late with the congratulations on your wonderful news! I'm so glad your boss has worked out all of this and you feel appreciated! Hearty congratulations, and enjoy your new scheduling freedom!

Congratulations on the grandchild!  And thank you.