Menu

Everything has been ordered for 2023/2024

Before I could buy everything I had to figure out what my current 7th grader wants to do for high school. I was able to figure out and buy everything for Grades 8, 6, 5 and K

Math: CTC Math for 5th & 6th graders, Mathusee PreAlgebra for the 8th grader and JUMP Math for Kindergarten 

Writing: IEW Wonders of Science, IEW Level B Year 1

History: Courage & Conquest Canadian History 

Science: Bookshark Science F

Grammar: Fix It Grammar Levels 1&2

Phonics: ReadingEggs online & Workbook

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears My Printing Book & Building Writers A

• Like 5

10 hours ago, alysee said:

Writing: IEW Wonders of Science

Thank you for mentioning this! IEW’s themed books have worked well for us in the past, but the history-based offerings don’t line up well with where we are & when I last looked they hadn’t released this title. I think you just filled a gap in my curriculum-planning for the fall! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have my plan set for next year but haven’t bought anything yet. Usually I would have by now. I don’t really feel any urgency this year. I think because I’m not really changing much so I already know how everything “works”. Most years I’m eager to get our books so I can start liking through them. This year….eh. I’ll probably order early in the summer. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

Thank you for mentioning this! IEW’s themed books have worked well for us in the past, but the history-based offerings don’t line up well with where we are & when I last looked they hadn’t released this title. I think you just filled a gap in my curriculum-planning for the fall! 

Just curious, have you gone through *Teaching Writing: Structure and Style* by IEW?

1 hour ago, Malam said:

Just curious, have you gone through *Teaching Writing: Structure and Style* by IEW?

I have. I found the webinars really helpful as a reference alongside the resources, but I’ve struggled to provide what I feel is adequate composition practice when working independently. We tried “writing across the curriculum” this year & I don’t feel that we were nearly as consistent or successful as when had been while using the IEW texts. 

I do own some of the upper-level books, given to me second-hand, which I plan to use as a framework to design my own thematic units in the future. Those are all 2+ levels above what we’ve used in the past, though - Wonders of Science is at the very next level. 

2 minutes ago, AnneGG said:

Same. 

I always have grandiose ideas, such as all the children will study Latin.  They are fairly close in age, not necessarily grade or ability, so that makes it hard.  I was considering a Charlotte Mason approach to combine more, but I am still not sure I "trust" that method.

I feel I can’t really proceed with buying and planning until I know if we’re going to join a coop next year. 

I’ve accumulated so many pieces of curricula in the past few years. I don’t *need* anything else. But when I look through everything I’m like, well…. If I use this then I need to buy XYZ books for it and the student book and 30 other random things. Then I’m overwhelmed and start window shopping. Ugh. 

4 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I always have grandiose ideas, such as all the children will study Latin.  They are fairly close in age, not necessarily grade or ability, so that makes it hard.  I was considering a Charlotte Mason approach to combine more, but I am still not sure I "trust" that method.

Me too. I want to do all the things. My dss is going into 7th grade and I feel like time is slipping away. There have been so many things I’ve wanted to do and every year I’ve said “next year!” and we still haven’t done it. Like chess. 

I’ve been on SCM like three times today window shopping, so I feel you there. 

• Like 1

I think I know what we're doing and I've ordered most of it alot is a continuation of what we've been using.

Continuing with

RightStart math for 4 students most are between levels so we will do G/H, E/F, B/C, and A.

Calculadders for all kids (math drill)

All About Spelling levels 1, 4 (probably into 5), and 5

All About Reading 2/3 for 2nd grader

Foundational Phonics letter Master for K4 (this is a good bridge between AAR pre and 1)

Simply Charlotte Mason History Matthew through Acts and Ancient Rome this includes European geography everybody will do this

Just reading Our Star Spangled Story pt 2. 2nd, 5th, 7th. The bigs read it to little. I know it's "below level" for 2 but it's just exposure and Rome is our focus. Oldest burns out really fast on school and America the Beautiful just looks long and dense for him....

Simply Charlotte Mason Enrichment trying out the year 3 plan... I've always just done it on my own but with a baby I thought a plan may be nice. We may sub out some artists though

Reading books I pick for literature

SCM outdoor secrets science I've done this before for 2nd grade and K4

Apologia land animals with notebook for 5th grader she loved botany this year

Trying out

Berean Builders science in the atomic age for 7th grader

Writeshop B and E for 2nd, 5th, and 7th

Analytical Grammar original edition for 5th and 7th

Spanish for children for 5th

SCM copybook readers for 2nd

Montessori grammar symbols 2nd and 7th mostly

I'm not good at assigning written narrations or writing across the curriculum so we're trying a writing program.... we'll see how it goes. The 2nd graders Grammer will be informal. I'll just teach verbs nouns...as far as we get with his copywork. All the kids take turns doing oral narrations during family Bible and history time.

Undecided

Continue with A Year of Playing Skillfully for PreK or do Wee Folk Art? I was going to do Wee Folk Art but now I'm leaning toward AYOPS. I have both....

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh. ADHD strikes again. We stopped all lessons for reading for my preschooler because she was getting frustrated. Sold Abeka because it was too religious for us. I was up with the baby so I went down a phonics rabbit hole and ended up buying All About Reading level 1. I haven't seen it in person and I can't seem to find an accurate schedule but what does a week look like? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 1:35 PM, alysee said:

Sigh. ADHD strikes again. We stopped all lessons for reading for my preschooler because she was getting frustrated. Sold Abeka because it was too religious for us. I was up with the baby so I went down a phonics rabbit hole and ended up buying All About Reading level 1. I haven't seen it in person and I can't seem to find an accurate schedule but what does a week look like? 

I've used AAR for a couple of years now and enjoy it. You can use it to fit your own schedule. The idea is that you work for 20 minutes (more or less, as fits your kid's age and focus ability), stop, and pick up there the next day. Each day you start with a bit of review, using the cards your child hasn't mastered yet, then move on to new material. If your child has a lot of review, there are ideas to "gamify" the review so that it isn't straight flashcards. Some kids spend about a week per lesson, while mine typically finishes a lesson (or two) a day. Some people follow that pattern M-Th and then use Friday to redo a favorite activity and reread an earlier, easier story, especially if the ideas are clicking but fluency is lagging.

• Like 1

My best advice to those struggling to do All The Things: focus on skills first when they are young. I promise your kid will be fine if they free read/free choice everything else before high school. If you take the time now to really teach those foundational skills, even if it makes school seem 'boring', you and your child will reap huge benefits later. Just my own $0.2.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

My best advice to those struggling to do All The Things: focus on skills first when they are young. I promise your kid will be fine if they free read/free choice everything else before high school. If you take the time now to really teach those foundational skills, even if it makes school seem 'boring', you and your child will reap huge benefits later. Just my own $0.2.

Is that your 2¢ or your 20¢ ? 🤣

• Haha 1