Menu

Social Services Resources Post-Rehab

Reefgazer

I would like to delete this post in not too long a time because of its sensitive nature, so please don't quote.  

I am trying to help a young man (early 20s) straighten his life out and get on his feet.  This person has had an unbearably rough childhood; I believe he has a depression and self-worth problem, and has a problem with alcohol (and possibly other drugs; I am not sure).  He has voluntarily decided to go to rehab for 30 days in an effort to help himself.  The problem is, he will come back to a situation where he is homeless, and his friends, who will happily shelter him until he finds a place to live, also use alcohol and drugs.  He has relapsed with alcohol in the past, and I feel his potential living options are a recipe for a relapse and I am trying to come up with alternatives for him.  I live far away from him (a days drive), can help him a bit monetarily, but otherwise I can't provide daily material support.

What social services resources are available to help a young person in his situation?  Mainly, housing resources.  I am so in over my head with this and really don't know how to help in other than cheer from the sidelines, but I am sure that is not enough.  This person has no family to assist; he is very much alone, save for these alcohol and drug using friends.  He is in NY state, if that matters.  He lives in a rural area and does not drive, so his employment options are limited to where he can walk and he must live in a decently large town to find employment within walking distance.  He is capable of getting a job and showing up to full-time employment, and has decent health insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Being in a whole new context is often a good thing for someone struggling with addictions. Can he move to your area or closer to someone who can support him?

This was goong to be my suggestion as well. If he's really got no reason to return to his previous area, maybe the move to a completely new area out of rehab might be the thing that helps to keep him sober in the long term.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I'd recommend looking into Teen Challenge.  (It's not just for teens.)  Some states have their own branch, but there's likely a national office too.

Yes. I have a friend who is an addict who was helped greatly by this program. 

• Like 2

I agree with the others that an entirely new environment might be very helpful to him & give him a better shot at long term recovery. Has he asked the rehab facility for ideas about housing? He is certainly not unique and they will likely know how to connect him with an org that can let him know of some possible options if he can’t move away. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Being in a whole new context is often a good thing for someone struggling with addictions. Can he move to your area or closer to someone who can support him?

I thought of that, but I do not believe he will leave the security of the area he lives in because he grew up there and he sees these friends as supportive and the only support he has.

53 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I agree with the others that an entirely new environment might be very helpful to him & give him a better shot at long term recovery. Has he asked the rehab facility for ideas about housing? He is certainly not unique and they will likely know how to connect him with an org that can let him know of some possible options if he can’t move away. 

I will ask him if he has asked the rehab place about this.

I live in rural upstate New York and drugs/homelessness/alcoholism is much more prevalent here than most people believe. In my particular location there’s no longer even a homeless shelter;  Catholic charities is putting people up in hotels.

If you want to PM me his general location, I may be able to help with some location specific resources.  

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I live in rural upstate New York and drugs/homelessness/alcoholism is much more prevalent here than most people believe. In my particular location there’s no longer even a homeless shelter;  Catholic charities is putting people up in hotels

Ditto- except here it’s DSS that puts people in cheap hotels at one end of town. 

• Like 1