Menu

Exciting thing happened to me (concert)

heartlikealion

I'm into goth/punk subculture and any goth-type bands/events are slim to none in my state. Most bands skip over our state. If you're willing to drive to New Orleans or Memphis you might catch a show. Sometimes it's TX. Currently my main residence is not close to NO and let me tell you the parking is a whole thing (expect to pay $25 and be careful where you choose to park). 

There's a band called Vision Video that's on tour right now with Then Comes Silence. I just learned of them recently. I am more familiar with the older bands (as I type this my girlfriend is trying to score us Cure concert tickets). Anyway, they had stops scheduled near us and a small gap in their schedule so this local guy pitched for them to stop at a town in our state. They agreed! I drove a couple hours to attend this random show on a Monday night. Well worth it. Because it wasn't a huge venue/crowd, I got a chance to meet everyone. I got photos. It was really neat. The main singer from Vision Video has an Instagram/Tik Tok etc persona of "goth dad." It's funny. He is not a dad IRL and he puts on an accent in the video clips. I'm connected to the local guy on Facebook and met him in person and thanked him for booking the show. "Goth dad" puts on the makeup for the shows, but he's actually gorgeous without any. When I asked him for a photo he offered to sign my poster. 

Then Comes Silence is from Sweden. Vision Video is from Georgia. They said that a lot of the shows blur together but they will definitely remember this one... the building they played in is/was?? a church/museum. You can book it for events. I don't know if it functions as a church anymore. No pews. 

There's a girl that plays synth that I met, too but I didn't get a photo with her... she was standing by a sign that said photos $5 when I met her lol. However, they clearly weren't enforcing that at this show. 

GothDad.jpg

VisionVideo.jpg

ThenComesSilence.jpg

• Like 37

My friend got us Cure tickets!! This is so exciting! I didn't do the fan verification thing in time so I couldn't buy them. And several people got stuck on a waitlist. If you get a code to buy today there's no guarantee you even get tickets. 

Goth dad: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pNGJbU-PTRU

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LcDKMpvywBQ

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing a happy story today.

Also is that you in the dress? You look stunning!

Yes, this is me after losing like 50 lbs (a journey that started in June). I actually was running late to the show because I altered the dress LOL. It was too big under the arms and driving me nuts. When I arrived no one had played yet. I had perfect timing. 

dress.jpg

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Sounds like fun and you rocked that dress.

Say, are you familiar with Lol Tolhurst, the Cure's original drummer? Some years ago I worked with him on a documentary film project for which he composed the music. 

Bill

No, I'm not well-versed on individual members. That's very cool. I was excited to learn that the blonde in Vision Video played some shows with Sisters of Mercy. And thank you 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

@heartlikealion  I love that you got to experience that. What fun!

I'm 50-going-on-15 when you put me in a concert environment 😄

I think I’m making up for lost years where I stopped going out! I’ve reconnected with several friends, some of whom are in new local bands. My friend that scored the tickets lives near New Orleans and usually knows what’s going on before I do. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My friend got us Cure tickets!! This is so exciting! I didn't do the fan verification thing in time so I couldn't buy them. And several people got stuck on a waitlist. If you get a code to buy today there's no guarantee you even get tickets. 

Goth dad: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pNGJbU-PTRU

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LcDKMpvywBQ

Have fun! I saw the Cure years ago. So much fun!  I'm glad your friend was able to get tickets!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

1. That photo of you and goth dad made my day 

2. I saw those photos of you and got really confused because I thought for sure you’re older than me and holy cow, girl, whatever your skincare routine is, DISH

I turned 40 in Oct and I’ve always been a late bloomer/looked younger than my peers. I wish I had better skin! I use CeraVe per the dermatologist’s recommendation but I do have rosacea so sometimes my face is annoyingly pink. Makeup is something I just don’t wear on a daily basis if that has any impact.

As much weight as I’ve lost I still think I have a fluffy chin in some photos ugh lol