• How Green Was My Valley
    • Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Uncle Tom’s Cabin
    • A Farewell to Arms
    • Moby Dick
    • Clarissa
    • I have never read any of these books, so I can’t say
    • I have read all of these books and don’t recommend any of them

I’m currently reading two pretty light weight books. When that happens, I tend to want to read something meatier next, either non-fiction or a classic. 
I’m not including an other option intentionally. I’m trying to whittle away on the Want To Read list I already have. 

41 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The Count of Monte Christo is enjoyable, but what has possessed you to put Clarissa on your list? :svengo: 

Years ago, I think before we had kids, dh and I watched this great show. PBS, I’m assuming. It was a two-part series. The first part was great, we loved it, recommended it to his mom. Then we watched part two! Whoa! Things turned dark real fast! But we still loved it? It was Clarissa. I thought I should eventually read the book 

4 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Years ago, I think before we had kids, dh and I watched this great show. PBS, I’m assuming. It was a two-part series. The first part was great, we loved it, recommended it to his mom. Then we watched part two! Whoa! Things turned dark real fast! But we still loved it? It was Clarissa. I thought I should eventually read the book 

Having done so myself, to see if I could, I think you shouldn't!

I’m not sure which to choose 

I have read some of your choices but don’t recommend them because it depends on your mood. Count of Monte Cristo is ok and so is Hunchback of Notre Dame but they are both long reads and sound like way too much to me right now 🤣

A couple of books on here are on my Want to Read list (Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, and A Farewell to Arms), but the only one I have read is How Green is my Valley, which I recommend as a somewhat shorter book than some of the others.  I really enjoyed the depiction of the way of life in the southern mining communities of Wales.  If you are interested in Welsh literature, I would also highly recommend Sioned Davis’ translation of The Mabinogion.

Edited by Eilonwy

I read Moby Dick and liked it. However the alternating chapters about the whaling business were difficult and I didn't pay enough attention to feel qualified to butcher a whale these days. This could be followed up with a visit to the whaling museum in Massachusetts (and definitely drive out to the Edward Gorey House on the Cape)

We listened to The Count as an audiobook for read-aloud a couple years ago. I think it was a 40 hour recording. I got a lot of knitting done, and everyone liked it.

1 hour ago, Eilonwy said:

If you are interested in Welsh literature, I would also highly recommend Sioned Davis’ translation of The Mabinogion.

We listened to this also. It was very interesting to hear some of the roots of King Arthur. If, like me, you are not fluent in Welsh pronunciation rules, the audio version relieves that tension. This one wasn't as popular here, but I enjoyed it. There are some very long name lists, though!

I haven't read the others to compare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

If, like me, you are not fluent in Welsh pronunciation rules, the audio version relieves that tension. This one wasn't as popular here, but I enjoyed it. There are some very long name lists, though!

I’m pretty good with Welsh pronunciation rules since I’ve been learning Welsh for a few years, but the audio would definitely help if not.  I used the printed book and found the footnotes really useful for some things - the lists of names sometimes contain a number of jokes, for example. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

@Rosie_0801I’m still curious to hear why you disliked Clarissa so much. 

I'm not ignoring you, I just live in a different time zone! I only woke up 5mins ago!

Clarissa is a domestic violence novel and it is LONG.
It boggles my mind that there are people in this world who have read it more than once.

I put How Green Was My Valley, but I'd put Uncle Tom's Cabin at an equal level.

They are both slower-moving and very thoughtful and philosophically challenging, which to me is a good balance after some that are light-weight. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2023 at 2:47 PM, Eilonwy said:

A couple of books on here are on my Want to Read list (Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, and A Farewell to Arms), but the only one I have read is How Green is my Valley, which I recommend as a somewhat shorter book than some of the others.  I really enjoyed the depiction of the way of life in the southern mining communities of Wales.  If you are interested in Welsh literature, I would also highly recommend Sioned Davis’ translation of The Mabinogion.

I put Count of Monte Cristo on the shelf in Goodrids and I hope that I'll get to reading it soon. In general, everything from this list is worthy of attention. I love books, even though there is almost no time for it now. I'm preparing a series of articles and this is a very time-consuming process https://edubirdie.com/essay-writers-for-hire I found a source that can help me with this. It's important for me to finish things right and free up my schedule a bit.

Edited by Barrett Ward