Menu

Legos for girls

Having worked in the Toy industry for a number of years I can tell you the reason the girl's sets are weak is because there is not enough demand. The girl's lines simply are not profitable enough to warrant the manufacturing. It stinks when you are the parent of a girl who likes to build stuff.

Yeah, my girls LOVE legos, and they think the girl ones are lame. They would love to see more house building sets with cool furniture pieces, and lots of mini figures. But no weird figures, just regular old mini-figs..lol.

I did go on to the LEGO website and you can order just the figures. The girls are going to be thrilled! :)

Yes, I agree the selection for girls is pretty weak. Our dds are getting the Lego Beach House set for Christmas -- reasonably priced and there are plans for three different houses to make. I believe there may be one or two other types of house set(s) available. Our girls already have a couple of the large Belville princess sets, but these are hard to find and really don't compare to the boys' sets, unfortunately. My girls love their Legos, though! I'm excited to build the Beach Houses with them. :-)

Is it just me, or are the lego selections for girls a little on the weak side?

I bought my daughter some boy oriented sets this year, because the girl choices don't seem like there is much actual building to them...

Anyone else notice this, or am I not finding the right sets?

I grew up loving legos, and they didn't even make "girl" sets. Why can't your girls just use the regular lego sets?

Color me clueless, but my daughter always just played with Legos. In fact, she was pretty scornful of the idea that girls would play with Legos only if they were pink and cute.

Of course, this was several years ago before Lego went whole hog into the various themed sets. At that point, you could still buy just plain Legos without having them be marketing tie-ins to whatever movie is popular this week.

My daughter did have some of the Egyptian-themed sets, because she was big into all things Egyptian for a while. But that was about it. Otherwise, it was generic Legos, which I've always thought offer the most options for creativity, anyway.

Have you looked at the knock-offs to see if they have any available right now? We have a set of pastel-colored blocks that work just like Legos, and it includes furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc. I think they may be Megablocks, but old. I found them at a garage sale about 5 years ago.

I guess it might also depend on the girl. My DD is into Harry Potter, so all our legos are HP sets, or just regular blocks to build. We have some dragons, too, and a star wars set.

My DDs do build houses and stables and "girly" things with them, but they just use the regular blocks.

I understand that kids like the sets that Lego creates and not just the building blocks themselves.

My daughters have one of the house sets. I really like the "town" scene sets, but they are very pricey. We also have a horse set.

Jennie

I liked the town scenes as well.

The Taj Mahal was neat, but pricey!

This reminds me of the hilarious SNL mock commercial - CHESS for GIRLS

"It's chess with a van!" "Chess, it's a classic game of strategy and wit... and bubbles" :lol: "real chess pieces with a special suprise... she smells like strawberries!" :ack2:

:D :smilielol5:

My dd would love a girl lego set because she loves anything purple and pink. :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

It stinks when you are the parent of a girl who likes to build stuff.

It never occurred to me that Legos were for boys and that girls needed special girl sets. :confused: ;) My daughter plays quite happily with the traditional (boy?) Legos that we have, as did I and my sisters when we were growing up.

Tara

I think what I see with my girls, is that they LOVE to build with Legos. However, they are not into building cars, warriors, space stations, etc. They are more into houses with furniture, or building things for their littlest Pet Shop critters, etc. Yes, they use regular old legos...but ones that aren't geared toward building machines or battles of some sort are getting hard to come by. Some more domestic type things would be really cool. And pink isn't what they want..lol.

It never occurred to me that Legos were for boys and that girls needed special girl sets. :confused: ;) My daughter plays quite happily with the traditional (boy?) Legos that we have, as did I and my sisters when we were growing up.

Tara

My daughter likes the more architectural looking sets, like the Taj Mahal. They don't have to be pink. I don't really think some of the boy sets they have now are very appealing to her. I'm not referring to legos decades ago.

Ah ok. I just went to the Lego site. There aren't many building sets there I would want. Ick. Growing up we didn't have so many of those building set things. We just had plain ole buckets of Legos.

You can just buy tubs of lego, or bags of individual bricks (by color and size) and other pieces. I don't care for most of the sets myself. The pieces just get mixed up with all the other lego anyways, and they really don't inspire as much creativity as a box of assorted pieces.

What makes them for boys vs. girls?

My son loves legos and my daughter will build will them as well, but most of the themes are really geared more towards boys in my opinion. My daughter isn't really interested in Exoforce or Star Wars. I do think some of the new town legos would really appeal to her though.

Lisa

that he's starting them, she'd like some. So I've run up against this problem now too-about girl legos. She is a very girly girl and wouldn't be caught dead with the "boy" sets. And she doesn't necessarily like them for building, just "theme" playing, otherwise I would just get a big box of the plain ones. The house sets are a little too "babyish" for her. I ended up getting her the Belville horse stable:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7585

I WISH they had more sets like this-it's perfect! Unfortunately this it the only one that would be more advanced and therefore suitable for "older" young girls-the other Belville sets are really basic.

So I think this may be what people are talking about when they say they'd like more girl-friendly sets-sets where the theme is more appealing to girls. There are NONE in the stores!

that he's starting them, she'd like some. So I've run up against this problem now too-about girl legos. She is a very girly girl and wouldn't be caught dead with the "boy" sets. And she doesn't necessarily like them for building, just "theme" playing, otherwise I would just get a big box of the plain ones. The house sets are a little too "babyish" for her. I ended up getting her the Belville horse stable:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7585

I WISH they had more sets like this-it's perfect! Unfortunately this it the only one that would be more advanced and therefore suitable for "older" young girls-the other Belville sets are really basic.

So I think this may be what people are talking about when they say they'd like more girl-friendly sets-sets where the theme is more appealing to girls. There are NONE in the stores!

When I went to the Lego website, I was looking for a big (pretty) castle my daughter could build. I found the Taj Mahal, and I considered that - until I looked at the price.

Some of the boy ones are interesting to me, but I think most of them are such that my if daughter were to unwrap them as a present, she would think that she opened a gift intended for her brother. :D

Tara

Allow me to clarify. It stinks when you have a girl who wants all pink stuff and loves to build with pink blocks. My dd did not care what color the Legos were but plenty of her friends did.

I completely agree!

My DD5 is now really getting into legos. She is perfectly happy playing with regular tub legos, and she also likes to build the Star Wars ones as well.

But, boy, would she ever love to get to build a beautiful castle with fairies or princesses. Either that or make some that are animals...anything other than just cars, space stations, exoforce, etc... The girl legos that are out there are really weak and the characters aren't even the regular mini-fig size...they are much larger and not as fun. Lego really does need something to fill in that gap and make something that girls would get really excited about.

Why does a girl have to have girl lego? I remember feeling incredibly cheated because my dad was saving his technic lego kit for my brother, the BOY. He never even liked lego...

Oh, the hurts from our childhoods!

;)

Rosie

I have an interesting observation about daughters, sons, fathers and career choices. I majored in a male dominated field. My college class had 7 girls in a class of a little over 100 and we had the highest % of women in my college todate. Of the 7 girls, 6 had no brothers. The father, having no ds to help with "male" household chores, selected either the eldest or youngest dd to train and participate in "male" things. The only girl in my class with a brother lost her father when she was young.

Like Rosie, I wanted the boy stuff! I hated most of the traditional girl toys. So are you sure your construction-minded, Lego loving dd's want the girl stuff?

Kathy,

My DD would DEFINITLY want the girl legos. She is a very girly, girl who loves cats, pink, etc... (except for her odd obsession of Star Wars). In fact, when she asked what she wanted for Christmas her reply was "Girl Star Wars legos".

But I can see your point. I also loved legos when I was little, but was quite opposed to pink and girly items...regular legos suited me just fine thankyouverymuch.

I don't really think it's legos in general. A generic tub of legos is enjoyed by everyone...it's once you get to the themed sets that there are a very masculine nature to most of them (Exoforce, Mars Mission, Agents, Indiana Jones, Batman, Star Wars, Cars, etc...).