Menu

February Winter Gardens: come on in and chat for a spell. What's up?

Faith-manor

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have you ever seen the show The Windsors where at the time Prince Charles gets a pest in his yard and so he invites its enemy to come and it becomes a one-upsmanship of harmful beasts? I think I am ready for the neighborhood coyotes or bears to swing by.

I thought I read somewhere owls are the most effective for little animals that make holes. I don't have a definitive method for luring one to keep watch in your yard though.

As February winds down and the ice continues to accumulate in Michigan, spending time at the Alabama mountain house where the peach, nectarine, plum, and pomegranate trees are blossoming along with the blueberry bushes and the emergence of a new raspberry cane makes me LONG for Michigan spring, I am consoling myself with the most wonderful find. There has been a lilac hybridized to bloom in zone 7, and will be perfect for our zone 7a home. Robin and I are so excited. We are getting on the list at the nursery to get one as soon as they arrive.

https://www.monrovia.com/blue-skies-lilac.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

As February winds down and the ice continues to accumulate in Michigan, spending time at the Alabama mountain house where the peach, nectarine, plum, and pomegranate trees are blossoming along with the blueberry bushes and the emergence of a new raspberry cane makes me LONG for Michigan spring, I am consoling myself with the most wonderful find. There has been a lilac hybridized to bloom in zone 7, and will be perfect for our zone 7a home. Robin and I are so excited. We are getting on the list at the nursery to get one as soon as they arrive.

https://www.monrovia.com/blue-skies-lilac.html

Ah man, I wish I had more sun. My mom has always managed to keep a lilac going in 6a, but she has more sun than I do in my 6b/7a garden. 

We’ve had such wonderful weather here in FL recently. I observed flowers on some of my tomatoes and cucumbers the other day. I suspect my beans will flower any day. Lemon and lime flowers have already turned to fruit development. My overwintered peppers are all pushing out new leaves and flowers. Basil is coming up and lettuces are producing enough for regular salads. Figs are leafing out. Cabbage is small head stage already. Broccoli is producing and carrots are getting bigger. Replanted Seminole pumpkins look great (no bugs attacking them yet). 

Fingers crossed for a good harvest this year. I may be finally getting this Florida gardening thing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I love frogs! One of my favorite sounds at night is the low ribbit of bull frogs.

Today's fun fact - you will hear frogs go 'ribbit' on films set all over the world.  Those are all California frogs - other places' frogs are often quieter, so they get dubbed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Today's fun fact - you will hear frogs go 'ribbit' on films set all over the world.  Those are all California frogs - other places' frogs are often quieter, so they get dubbed. 

There are quiet frogs?  I’m on the east coast and these guys are super noisy. It’s to the point where if anyone talks about how quiet it is is the woods I wonder if they’ve ever actually been in the woods. I’m in the suburbs, so not even in the country, and frogs are noisy critters. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

There are quiet frogs?  I’m on the east coast and these guys are super noisy. It’s to the point where if anyone talks about how quiet it is is the woods I wonder if they’ve ever actually been in the woods. I’m in the suburbs, so not even in the country, and frogs are noisy critters. 

The ones in my brother's pond in southern England croak occasionally.  Mostly you hear them plop into the water. 

I've got a frog living under a tree in my front yard. One used to live outside my back door, but it hasn't been there since I dug it up out of a bag of potting mix one year. I apologised and all, but, well, I wouldn't want neighbours like that if I were a frog either.

My brother brought the angle grinder around on the weekend and cut up a barrel for me, so now I have a dwarf pomegranate (hopefully) happily installed along with a creeping lemon thyme that was on sale for $1.

I need to figure out where to put an Old Man saltbush. I was too busy being happy I'd finally found one to read the label saying it can grow up to five metres wide until I got home.

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

The ones in my brother's pond in southern England croak occasionally.  Mostly you hear them plop into the water.

Bummer. The noise is lovely Great Lakes Region frogs are, I believe, the ones that the frog orchestra from the movie "Meet the Robinsons" were based on. If I was movie character, I would be Mrs. Robinson diligently teaching Mahler to a cacophony of frog instrumentalists. Mark is 100% Mr. Robinson!

Sorry if the reference is obscure.

In other news, we ran down to the little farm store at the bottom of the mountain and picked up cosmos and daisy seeds. We have high hopes that this spring the fence line will dotted with flowers. It is 69F (20.5C) degrees right now. Back at home in the frozen wasteland of Michigan, they are experiencing 30-34F (1.1C) and freezing rain. 😱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Hah! Same for the bald eagle cries in movies. The bald eagle makes a wimpy sounds so it gets replaced by the cry of a red-tailed hawk.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

As if yesterday, ds and I are trying to start a small hydroponic garden thanks to the influence of @popmom

First step is trying to sprout my collection of lettuce and spinach seeds. 🤞

That's exciting! Mine is still doing great! I actually just harvested two "heads" of buttercrunch and one head of merlot.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

As if yesterday, ds and I are trying to start a small hydroponic garden thanks to the influence of @popmom

First step is trying to sprout my collection of lettuce and spinach seeds. 🤞

You and @popmom don't want to upgrade to aquaponics, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/@CandyTheAquaponicsLady

4 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

One of my dds actually spent a summer working for a man who does this on a large scale! But no...I'm not that ambitious. Yet. 😉

I'll have to check out her videos later. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, popmom said:

That's exciting! Mine is still doing great! I actually just harvested two "heads" of buttercrunch and one head of merlot.

Very encouraging! I'm not really clear on how I've moved the sprouted seeds into the net pots when the time comes, so I may be pm'ing you!

3 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I would love that!!

• Like 3