Menu

calling creative minds....

ProudGrandma

I am the librarian of a tiny, rural public library.  One of the things I do is meet monthly with the students from the special education school in our town. There are 3 different age groups. Last semester I did easier, one and done projects that were mostly cooking or crafts....but, especially with the older students, I am toying with the idea of trying a larger, more involved, project that would take multiple meetings to finish. I have 2 questions: 1) how might I handle if a student is missing one month and more importantly, 2) what types of projects might I try? I can't decide if it should be one huge group project or just a larger individual project. The group one would remove my concern about a student missing a meeting. I am kind of drawing a blank on ideas or where to search for ideas.

One thing I must consider is the variety of abilities of the students, so that sort of makes it more challenging.  But I really wanted to have the students work on something meaningful. 

Please give me your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks.

No idea if this would work, but it is where my mind went immediately for some reason. Years ago, when I was a kid in the dark ages, our Sunday School class made a dough map of the area we were studying, etc. Anyway, where my mind was going with it if they have the abilities to do this, is maybe start by looking at a map of the local area. Make either a dough or a clay map to resemble it. If dough, they could paint it, including lakes or ponds, and so on. Then they could make buildings/houses out of cardboard, construction paper, or blocks to represent the buildings they see regularly, put up stop signs or other signs, add animals, etc. This may be beyond what they are able to do, but it could be adapted for quite a range of abilities otherwise. You could talk about local history and landmarks. It could be a pretty involved yet low-key project spread out over time.

ETA: I'm thinking of a pretty large map where they could work on it at the same time.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 3

What are the needs of your town? Would local businesses help chime in with supplies?

Could you build a bench for a park/by the post office/by a senior center?

Could you start a community garden?

Could you build a website with a template? 

Could you help support a restoration of a bit of nearby history?

Could you do holiday support for Meals on Wheels (gifting a give away to go with holiday meals)?

I’d be trying to find a way to support community somehow…

• Like 3

Our library has a mural that was done by kids over several sessions.  It was dedicated to a specific person.

I like the community minded ideas above!

If you land on an individual project and are concerned about kids missing a step you can factor in doing the step for missing students.  For example I did an ornament craft with kids and kids who were there did every step but kids catching up the next week had the first few steps already prepared, kwim?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, happi duck said:

Our library has a mural that was done by kids over several sessions.  It was dedicated to a specific person.

I like the community minded ideas above!

If you land on an individual project and are concerned about kids missing a step you can factor in doing the step for missing students.  For example I did an ornament craft with kids and kids who were there did every step but kids catching up the next week had the first few steps already prepared, kwim?

I love the mural idea. It is also something that can be preserved in a photograph (maybe give each student a print of it), stay on display for a while, then painted over if/when appropriate. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jaybee said:

No idea if this would work, but it is where my mind went immediately for some reason. Years ago, when I was a kid in the dark ages, our Sunday School class made a dough map of the area we were studying, etc. Anyway, where my mind was going with it if they have the abilities to do this, is maybe start by looking at a map of the local area. Make either a dough or a clay map to resemble it. If dough, they could paint it, including lakes or ponds, and so on. Then they could make buildings/houses out of cardboard, construction paper, or blocks to represent the buildings they see regularly, put up stop signs or other signs, add animals, etc. This may be beyond what they are able to do, but it could be adapted for quite a range of abilities otherwise. You could talk about local history and landmarks. It could be a pretty involved yet low-key project spread out over time.

ETA: I'm thinking of a pretty large map where they could work on it at the same time.

I was coming to suggest a similar idea to this! If a large map that needs to stay out doesn’t work, could they paint the roads etc on canvas that can be rolled up (group project) then make the buildings etc  like suggested above (individual project) 

Edited by saraha

What are the ability levels of the students?   Cognitive impairments?  Physical impairments?   Ages?

i work in special education and have worked with 3-26 from mildly impaired to those with severe multiple impairments (non verbal, non ambulatory, cognitive skills of 0-1 year old, etc) so would love a bit more info on the ages/abilities of your students

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

What are the ability levels of the students?   Cognitive impairments?  Physical impairments?   Ages?

i work in special education and have worked with 3-26 from mildly impaired to those with severe multiple impairments (non verbal, non ambulatory, cognitive skills of 0-1 year old, etc) so would love a bit more info on the ages/abilities of your students

the ages are 5-21....but in 3 different groups divided by age (I think).  As far as abilities....that is a wide variety....some are verbal, some not...some can cut and write, others...not so much....the older kids do have the ability of maybe 5th-7th graders....the middle group right now is more like 3rd grade...give or take...and the youngest group....1st grade and below.   I might not try to do anything different than what I was doing before with the youngest group....but with the older ones I want to do something more meaningful. 

• Like 2

Group grid picture? Each session could be an individual box, so that each class adds to the grid. I have done this twice and it was a fun project. We made the picture wall size and each person colored an 8x8 square. I used 8x10 cardstock and cut it to 8x8 size.  You can do it, or have someone draw the design for you, and code it like a paint by number. If you stick with something like basic Crayola markers, the colors will be consistent.  Another advantage is that they can take a square home and bring it back. They won't likely return completely flat, but an iron can smooth rough edges. If someone doesn't complete a square or two, it is easy enough to replicate and finish for them.

Collaborative Dog Reproduction using a 1 inch Grid and up ...

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Would the students remember from one month to the next what they are learning?

What about something relating to the four seasons, human development stages (how I see myself at different ages), or geographical areas ... each part  would stand alone, but it would also make sense as an overall project.

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

Would the students remember from one month to the next what they are learning?

What about something relating to the four seasons, human development stages (how I see myself at different ages), or geographical areas ... each part  would stand alone, but it would also make sense as an overall project.

that is an interesting thought I never considered....thanks for this. 

8 hours ago, Tap said:

Group grid picture? Each session could be an individual box, so that each class adds to the grid. I have done this twice and it was a fun project. We made the picture wall size and each person colored an 8x8 square. I used 8x10 cardstock and cut it to 8x8 size.  You can do it, or have someone draw the design for you, and code it like a paint by number. If you stick with something like basic Crayola markers, the colors will be consistent.  Another advantage is that they can take a square home and bring it back. They won't likely return completely flat, but an iron can smooth rough edges. If someone doesn't complete a square or two, it is easy enough to replicate and finish for them.

Collaborative Dog Reproduction using a 1 inch Grid and up ...

That’s cool! They could have the added surprise of not knowing what the image will be until assembled.