Menu

January gardens

prairiewindmomma

We're just drying out between rainstorms but dh and I did a ton of rose and tree trimming yesterday and today put another 3 bags of potting soil into my raised bed and I planted lettuces. Our last frost date isn't until the end of April, but we'll enjoy the greens whenever we can. At least the reservoirs are near-full and I can water this coming summer without guilt!!

I have another  new raised bed to fill with potting soil and I think I will put my tomatoes in that this summer. It's made of metal panels bolted together...that was a fun rainy afternoon project! I have some seeds for a hummingbird garden to plan in a month or so, but I am not sure if I've missed the date for the ranunculus that I got....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Serenade said:

I went to a very interesting program at our local library on Saturday.  The topic was Winter Sowing, and it was about starting seeds outdoors in winter and letting nature decide when they should sprout.  The seeds are started in a sort of terrarium made out of milk jugs. (The milk jug is cut around just below the handle, but it is not cut fully, making a hinge. After the seed starting mix is placed in the lower half and fully watered, and then planted, the milk jug is sealed up again with something like painters tape.  The lid is left off the top for air, and then these jugs are set outside for the seeds to sprout.   This way they are already hardened off and there is no bringing the containers in and out of the house when starting seeds. The lady who gave the lecture said she pretty much leaves the jugs outside on their own, although she'll cover the containers with a blanket if the seeds have sprouted and it goes below 20 degrees.  If the seeds have not sprouted there are no worries.  Anyhow, I thought it was interesting, and I'm going to try it.  I think this method is best for things like herbs and wildflowers that are perennials and/or can self-sow, as well as hardy crops like brassicas and greens.  

@KungFuPandamentioned this method upthread. It really makes so much sense. 

• Like 1

I still haven't come to terms with the Christmas arctic deep freeze we had. Any other time of winter I could have worked harder to protect stuff. But at Christmas?? Too much going on. I am going to be so sad if my roses didn't make it. They were planted in large containers a couple of years ago. I need to prune them, but I think I may have lost one of them. (The forsythia and daffodils are blooming here already.)

I'm frustrated with my seedlings. I started purple basil awhile back. I plan to use it in landscaping--not just for culinary purposes. It's just not doing much. I've lost some to damping off. I feel like there is some secret that I'm not privy to. Why is everything I start from seed so unbelievably SLOW. I've added small amounts of fertilizer. I've used a fan to try to prevent damping off. I just feel like for the amount of effort I put into seed starting, I'm not getting the results I want. This is one reason I do like the idea of winter sowing--letting nature take its course. But you can't do that with everything. 

I've got some wild thyme and rosemary started. 

Oh...cat grass. I followed the instructions on the seed pack. Soak for several hours before planting... So I did that. Planted the soaked seeds in a wide shallow planter for my cats. I soaked way more seeds than I could fit into that planter, so I just left the rest of the seeds in the paper towels on the plate wet. Guess which seeds are full on plants now. Yep-- the stupid neglected seeds on the plate in paper towels. They look fabulous! 2 inches of cat grass growth. The ones I planted according to instructions in actual soil? Maybe a cm or less. Very underwhelming. I should post pics. So typical. My accidental plantings always do best. So frustrating! 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s that time again 🥰

15E96012-CAA7-4091-84DF-B14F9CA22E0D.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures! What part of the country to you live in?  I see that you started pumpkin and cucumbers, and I'm wondering when they will be OK outside on their own. Here I have to worry about freezes  until almost the end of April, so I think my first water jug plantings will be herbs, greens and some wild flower seeds they gave out at the library program. Also, what brand/type of soil do you use for seed starting?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Serenade said:

Thanks for the pictures! What part of the country to you live in?  I see that you started pumpkin and cucumbers, and I'm wondering when they will be OK outside on their own. Here I have to worry about freezes  until almost the end of April, so I think my first water jug plantings will be herbs, greens and some wild flower seeds they gave out at the library program. Also, what brand/type of soil do you use for seed starting?

I’m in the mid Atlantic 6b/7a line. You can put everything out now. They won’t actually sprout until they’re ready. Seeds are fine in the cold and the seed knows when to germinate. I tend to put everything out in Jan-Feb but they don’t sprout at the same time. Kale and cabbages will sprout first. Tomatoes are usually last. 

I only use organic potting mix. Seed starting mix has no nutrients for your seedlings and potting mix with chemical fertilizers will make them grow too fast too early. Happy Frog is nice if you can find it, but any organic potting mix works. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 1:17 AM, popmom said:

Who recommended this book? I can’t find the post now. I got it transferred from our botanical gardens library branch. I added a pic of my first attempt. It’s mostly komatsuna. 

That was me! (That was I?) Oh, I'm so happy! I am doing it here, too! My windows are quite a bit cooler than 70* so mine are on a slower schedule than his, but . . . oh, my, it scratches the itch. Had pea shoots in stir fry today. I LOVE that book!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:00 PM, Serenade said:

Just wanted to mention that I was at Dollar Tree today, and they already have their seeds in -- 4 packets for $1 (not $1.25 🙂) or 25 cents each.  The varieties they sell are generally older, open-pollinated varieties, but they have a good selection. Today I bought Giant Noble spinach, Bloomsdale Long Standing spinach, a blend of different radishes, purple top white globe turnips, Little Marvel peas, Sugar Snap peas, Alaska peas, large red cherry tomatoes, and lavender.  If you go and they are cleaned out, try again in a couple of weeks.  They usually restock several times during the season, and sometimes there are different seeds with each restocking.

Yes! We get a LOT of marigold seeds from Dollar Tree, which we use to ward off bug pests in the veg garden. Also, my green beans from Dollar Tree grew FANTASTICALLY last summer. It's a cheap winter thrill to stop in at DT and pick up a few more packages, heh heh. 

My store also had those coconut coir mats (that expand in water and are sterile) - I picked up a few to try some Kratky veggies here through the dark days.

15 hours ago, popmom said:

@KungFuPandamentioned this method upthread. It really makes so much sense. 

Have never done this in my northern zone - but now I'm intrigued to try! Last frost here is in May, so . . . I'm quite a ways off. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m in the mid Atlantic 6b/7a line. You can put everything out now. They won’t actually sprout until they’re ready. Seeds are fine in the cold and the seed knows when to germinate. I tend to put everything out in Jan-Feb but they don’t sprout at the same time. Kale and cabbages will sprout first. Tomatoes are usually last. 

I only use organic potting mix. Seed starting mix has no nutrients for your seedlings and potting mix with chemical fertilizers will make them grow too fast too early. Happy Frog is nice if you can find it, but any organic potting mix works. 

I'm interested in this winter sowing thing. I live on the zone 7b/8a line in the Ouachita Mountains. We have such wild fluctuations in weather in late winter/early spring. For example, last week we had highs near 70. Trees are starting to bud and everything. Tomorrow, we are expecting several inches of snow. 🤪 And this pattern of spring like weather followed by winter weather will continue through the end of March, sometimes into April. Our last frost date is between April 12 and April 30 depending on who you ask. Early May frosts aren't that unusual around here either.

Anyways, have you ever had something sprout in the plastic jugs only to be killed by a spring snow? That's my biggest worry with winter sowing.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Yes! We get a LOT of marigold seeds from Dollar Tree, which we use to ward off bug pests in the veg garden. Also, my green beans from Dollar Tree grew FANTASTICALLY last summer. It's a cheap winter thrill to stop in at DT and pick up a few more packages, heh heh.

I get most of my seeds from Dollar Tree! lol This year I had to restock my seed box as it got left out in the rain last summer and got ruined 😞 I've spent almost $20 on seeds at Dollar Tree trying to restock my stash. lol

I'm going to place an order with Baker Creek on pay day and then I promised DH I'm done buying seeds.... for now! 😛 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I'm going to place an order with Baker Creek on pay day and then I promised DH I'm done buying seeds.... for now! 😛 

I have a Baker Creek Buddy - we split seeds so we can order twice as many for 1/2 the cost. 🙂  (I also receive BC seeds as Christmas gifts. *swoon)

We have a Meyer lemon tree (inside my zone 5 house, LOL) that we baby all winter and then put out in the greenhouse all summer. ❤️ She's LOADED with blossoms right now, which is carrying us through January. (We haul her into the bathroom for "steam treatments" and then back out to the living room for better light, etc. It's downright ridiculous.

Maple syrup season is our 1st annual harvest, and THEN we get to start the baby seeds! Waiting for it to hit 40 in the daytime and 20 at night . . . 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

I have a Baker Creek Buddy - we split seeds so we can order twice as many for 1/2 the cost. 🙂  (I also receive BC seeds as Christmas gifts. *swoon)

We have a Meyer lemon tree (inside my zone 5 house, LOL) that we baby all winter and then put out in the greenhouse all summer. ❤️ She's LOADED with blossoms right now, which is carrying us through January. (We haul her into the bathroom for "steam treatments" and then back out to the living room for better light, etc. It's downright ridiculous.

I love this so much! I need a friend here who appreciates this type of ridiculousness. 😂🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a fall garden but put a pause on winter garden to do this….

DH added raised beds to our 100 ft hoop house. This is going to make my life a bazillion times easier and I’m so excited. We still need to put down weed mat in the rows. But I’ve been cleared to start things in one bed 😁

345EF65D-068A-4674-ACB4-2EC8509BC965.jpeg

I’ve started some seeds indoors - 

red and yellow onions, cabbage, broccoli, and strawberries. We’re US Zone 7b. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Our first greenhouse was made from an old trampoline! (like this

@Ann.without.an.e will you keep stuff in your hoop house all summer? Do you have to run a fan? (We have a much smaller but similar setup and currently use it only for extending both shoulder seasons . . . we'll have a LOT more space in it once the maple syrup project gets relocated . . . but we don't use it well in the heat of summer, and I'm interested to learn more.)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 5

Re: Baker's Creek 

First, for years I would look forward to their catalog and trying unique plants and even went to their store when I was in the area. I loved the variety they offered. 

Today, NONE of the local groups allow promoting or even mentioning Baker's Creek in their official group forums due to their racism. 

Every single local group from the iris society to the general gardening groups have statements about their stance and it is included in the rules. The groups reiterated their stance not that long ago.

Not debating this, just letting people know that they may want to do some reading and make sure their values align. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Our first greenhouse was made from an old trampoline! (like this

@Ann.without.an.e will you keep stuff in your hoop house all summer? Do you have to run a fan? (We have a much smaller but similar setup and currently use it only for extending both shoulder seasons . . . we'll have a LOT more space in it once the maple syrup project gets relocated . . . but we don't use it well in the heat of summer, and I'm interested to learn more.)

That is so cool. 

We are in the south so we will have the sides up all summer and we’ll invest in shade cloth this year. It gets hella hot out there without it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I'm interested in this winter sowing thing. I live on the zone 7b/8a line in the Ouachita Mountains. We have such wild fluctuations in weather in late winter/early spring. For example, last week we had highs near 70. Trees are starting to bud and everything. Tomorrow, we are expecting several inches of snow. 🤪 And this pattern of spring like weather followed by winter weather will continue through the end of March, sometimes into April. Our last frost date is between April 12 and April 30 depending on who you ask. Early May frosts aren't that unusual around here either.

Anyways, have you ever had something sprout in the plastic jugs only to be killed by a spring snow? That's my biggest worry with winter sowing.

I don’t start them in December because you never know. Late January and Feb are pretty safe here. If the brassicas sprout, they’re fine. They can take the cold. If anything more tender sprouted due to a weirdly warm week, I’d probably cover those sprouts at night until they were safe. I haven’t really had that issue. The seeds are in their little “greenhouses” so they’re mostly safe. 

We aren’t safe to put most things in the ground til after Mother’s Day so the plants live in the jugs quite a while. Not having to harden them off is glorious. 

4 hours ago, popmom said:

I cannot wait to show my husband your pic! He keeps griping about all the gallon jugs I'm saving. "What are you doing with all these???" Garden stuff!😂

My son calls it my Trash Garden. He does not approve. I keep my jugs strung on a rope along the ceiling of my shed when I’m not using them. It’s SUPER classy. I also save veggie scraps for my indoor worms so I’m a whole mess to live with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don’t start them in December because you never know. Late January and Feb are pretty safe here. If the brassicas sprout, they’re fine. They can take the cold. If anything more tender sprouted due to a weirdly warm week, I’d probably cover those sprouts at night until they were safe. I haven’t really had that issue. The seeds are in their little “greenhouses” so they’re mostly safe. 

We aren’t safe to put most things in the ground til after Mother’s Day so the plants live in the jugs quite a while. Not having to harden them off is glorious. 

My son calls it my Trash Garden. He does not approve. I keep my jugs strung on a rope along the ceiling of my shed when I’m not using them. It’s SUPER classy. I also save veggie scraps for my indoor worms so I’m a whole mess to live with. 

Same. I have a yucky bag of kitchen scraps sitting out right now so I don’t forget to add it tomorrow. I finally relocated my worms outside. I was worried the summer heat would kill them, but they seem to be doing okay. They’ve been out there a few years. 

Also, thanks for the idea on storing the jugs. I can rig something up in my garage. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Not having to harden them off is glorious.

That is what intrigues me about winter sowing. I hate the whole hardening off process. Such a pain. We really do have wild spring weather here in the mountains. It can be lovely and spring like one day and then snow the next. And it goes on like that from January to May. It's crazy. I think I'll try some winter sowing though. At least with some cold hardy seeds. If nothing else it's an excellent reason to let my husband drink all the milk he wants for a while, lol!

• Like 1

I harvested some carrots yesterday morning.  I planted Short & Sweet plus Scarlet Nantes but I don't know which was which. Not all were ready and I tried to replant the small ones. I hope they'll take. I might plant some more carrots and lettuce, especially lettuce before it gets too warm. Sugar snap peas are coming along nicely as are the Everglades tomatoes. My broccoli plants are leggy and large but no broccoli is forming. I don't know if I should give up and pull them but that's what I thought when the snap peas weren't flowering and now they're full of flowers and peas.

A friend and I have both been experimenting with raised bed and container gardening. We're getting together Saturday to go on a walk at a nearby nature trail then compare notes on our plans for late winter/spring gardening.

• Like 3

I shared my winter sowing plan with dh and he is thrilled to help out with gathering milk jugs for me lol! I just hope we can afford his milk intake for this. 😛 He could easily drink a gallon of milk a day if I let him.

We got our snow today. Six inches so far and it's not done yet. It wasn't even cold enough to frost the windshield this morning but here we are half a foot deep in snow. It's suppose to stay in the 30's and 40's for a week and a half before going back to 60s and near 70 again in the first weeks of February. I'm ready for spring to just be here already lol.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 10:14 AM, KungFuPanda said:

Well, I'm saving my milk jugs and am waiting for my dirt to arrive. I ordered organic Coast of Maine seed starting mix.  The lady at the seminar said she uses Coast of Maine, so I thought I would try it.  I have not yet, in all my years of gardening, found any kind of purchased dirt that I like, so here's hoping that Coast of Maine will fill the bill.  Let us know when your kale and cabbages sprout! 🌱

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, Ann.without.an.e said:

We had a fall garden but put a pause on winter garden to do this….

DH added raised beds to our 100 ft hoop house. This is going to make my life a bazillion times easier and I’m so excited. We still need to put down weed mat in the rows. But I’ve been cleared to start things in one bed 😁

345EF65D-068A-4674-ACB4-2EC8509BC965.jpeg

I’ve started some seeds indoors - 

red and yellow onions, cabbage, broccoli, and strawberries. We’re US Zone 7b. 

Wow!  That is really big -- a beautiful!  You will have a lot of work this summer! 😁 What do you use for a weed mat?

13 hours ago, Serenade said:

Well, I'm saving my milk jugs and am waiting for my dirt to arrive. I ordered organic Coast of Maine seed starting mix.  The lady at the seminar said she uses Coast of Maine, so I thought I would try it.  I have not yet, in all my years of gardening, found any kind of purchased dirt that I like, so here's hoping that Coast of Maine will fill the bill.  Let us know when your kale and cabbages sprout! 🌱

You need organic potting mix, not seed starting mix. Seed starting mix is usually sterile for starting seeds that are immediately transplanted to a potting mix. A potting mix contains the nutrients a plant needs to grow until it goes out into the garden. Your plants will die of malnutrition before it’s time to move them if you winter sow in a seed starting mix. That brand should have an organic potting mix in their collection. 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

You need organic potting mix, not seed starting mix. Seed starting mix is usually sterile for starting seeds that are immediately transplanted to a potting mix. A potting mix contains the nutrients a plant needs to grow until it goes out into the garden. Your plants will die of malnutrition before it’s time to move them if you winter sow in a seed starting mix. That brand should have an organic potting mix in their collection. 

I looked it up earlier. It doesn't appear to be the typical seed starting mix. I don't think it can be sterile if it has micorrhizae, compost, and worm castings. My guess is that it is basically a good, organic potting mix that has been sifted really fine for seed starting.

If I had the budget, I might try it, but I'm making my own. I have a bale of peat moss. I did order some micorrhizae from South Carolina. I have free worm castings from my precious wormies. I have leaf compost. I have some fine perlite and some coarse vermiculite.

You are absolutely correct that sterile seed start mix will starve the seedlings. I'm having that problem right now. I'm potting stuff up in better soil and hoping for the best. 

Don't use Espoma mixes. I have had good luck with Tomato Tone, but I will never buy their soil products again. I found broken pieces of pencil in my seed starting mix--blue paint and all. So much for "organic". Another reason I decided to make my own. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

My Dollar Tree had little garden cloches. They look exactly like these except they don't come with stakes. I have a bunch of garden stakes already. 

Thanks for the tip. I will go look when I have a break from the grandkids.

In other news, my sister who lives near Nice, France a mile from the Mediterranean, messaged me asking for advice about starting her plants indoors for moving out in March. Really. I mean, she knows me or at least I thought she did. Is she begging me to kill her hopes? 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:14 PM, KungFuPanda said:

ETA:  Looks like popmom already said this.  I should read before I post!

I think the seed starting mix I got will be OK -- the package says, " We have added a nutrient starter charge that includes worm castings, kelp and fully-cured compost."  It is this mix from Coast of Maine.

https://shop.coastofmaine.com/products/sprout-island-organic-seed-starter?variant=39791868543043&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8t2eBhDeARIsAAVEga3LeQs14H3ifvPQFgWqVPqLQHAYz2eSLXNOM1fbQIJaQWweI3lot0EaAkkMEALw_wcB

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1