Menu

I had small claims court yesterday

heartlikealion

I took my ex landlord to court. Just sharing the update for anyone that remembers this story. I really though I’d win because I was arguing he owed me my sec deposit based on state law. But he showed a text where he said he charges month to month with a non refundable sec deposit and I said, “ok thanks” back. First the judge said do you have her signature?? Then the landlord said no, I don’t do contracts. But I have these texts. The judge was a total ass to me and said the law didn’t matter because I agreed. I said I didn’t know the law at the time of that text exchange. It didn’t matter.

I also mentioned that the landlord often failed to communicate and ignored issues with the home. The the judge went as far as to mock me in a sense… he said since you know *so much* about the law… what does the law say about that? I said if an issue isn’t addressed within so many days I can hire someone like the plumber and deduct from my rent. Then the judge said all that was irrelevant to my case. 

Ugh whatever. I lost $85 for filing the claim. No point in appealing. Hard lesson learned. But I would have regretted not trying so I’m glad I did it. 

• Sad 28