Menu

Ordering prints

DawnM

I am making some photo albums for Christmas for our extended family.   

I am gong to order 4x6 prints to place in the mini-albums.

Normally I order from Costco.   They are .17 per photo.   I don't mind paying that necessarily, however, Snapfish is .09 per photo.   Is Snapfish decent quality?   Any other places you recommend?

Keep in mind I am ordering roughly 800 total prints, so cost is a factor.

Thanks!

If you have to try somewhere new I suggest doing a test order of just a few.

I have good luck with Walgreens and they often have good coupons.  I would be concerned about the machine breaking down so I might split the project.  Maybe ask at the store?

With Walgreens, digital photos will automatically get cropped to fit 4x6 so it's important to check and adjust if needed.  Another good reason for a test order.

• Like 2

Have you considered creating a photo book instead? It may turn out to be less expensive than purchasing albums and prints. I’ve used Mixbook before. You just upload the photos, pick a layout, and click auto fill. The last time I did this, I got the book ready to go, then waited to order with their 50% off Black Friday coupon.

• Like 2

I usually do snapfish. Their in-app prints used go be not as good as their regular website prints but that no longer seems to be an issue. You can play with coupons to figure out whether free shipping or cheaper per print or percentage off results in the lowest price. 

Lately I've been ordering through Google photos and I've been pleased with them. 

When I want top quality prints I go to Persnickety Prints. 

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Oh shoot, you aren't kidding!   Guess that is out.

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

But they also always have good discount codes. So, you can often balance it out. I order calendar books every Christmas, and the shipping is outrageous…but once I add a discount code, it often becomes acceptable. 

I also use Rakuten for an extra discount.  Right now Rakuten has 6% cash back for Snapfish.  That would add up fast with a big order.  

Dawn, If you don't use Rakuten and want to, message me and I'll refer you - I think we both get cash back with referrals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

If you have to try somewhere new I suggest doing a test order of just a few.

I have good luck with Walgreens and they often have good coupons.  I would be concerned about the machine breaking down so I might split the project.  Maybe ask at the store?

With Walgreens, digital photos will automatically get cropped to fit 4x6 so it's important to check and adjust if needed.  Another good reason for a test order.

I second trying Walgreens. You can do them in store with a flash drive but I just upload them to their site and play around with cropping, etc, then order. Before I order, I google coupon codes so they are usually half off. I can't remember what the price came to but it was very reasonable. Definitely do a test print/order first, though, in case the color saturation of your store's machine is off.  Bonus is that your order can be ready in an hour or two!

Also, as a side note, you can do all of the above and set a "pick up store" at any Walgreens so you can send a real photo to a loved one and they can just pick it up at their local store! Well, it worked a couple of years ago, at least, so check to make sure they still offer that, although I don't see why they would remove that option.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bibliophile said:

Have you considered creating a photo book instead? It may turn out to be less expensive than purchasing albums and prints. I’ve used Mixbook before. You just upload the photos, pick a layout, and click auto fill. The last time I did this, I got the book ready to go, then waited to order with their 50% off Black Friday coupon.

Yes, I have but I didn't think it would be cost effective.