Menu

RV's - what to look for in a small RV for traveling. Need do's and don'ts and recommendations.

sheryl

Looking at Fairfarmhand's thread reminded me that dh and I are talking about getting a small RV.  I thought dh would be interested in one you drive (motorhome) but he isn't.  He wants a trailer to be pulled by our car.   DH will be retiring in the near future and we'd like to travel around the country. With a trailer we pull, we can set up camp somewhere as a "base" and explore the area.  Return to base and move on from there, repeat.

We will not be buying the biggest one and not new.  We'll look for one pre-owned.   It will only be the 3 of us, DH, me and Shiloh.  We would like a bed, of course.  Shower, toilet.  Kitchenette - this is where I get concerned. Would like a frig and stovetop/oven.  How many sinks?  One for bathroom and kitchen sink?  And, air conditioning is a must, especially traveling in the summer months.  

Do you have one?  Like it?  Love it?  

Trailer or 5th wheel?  
Size? 
Ammenities?
What gas mileage do you get when pulling an rv?  I know it will be less but how much so?
Are there locks on doors?  Keys?  I'm assuming yes.  
Do windows open and close with screen/glass in place for cooler months when screens can be in place?  

I know very little about this. ALL info is welcome.

Bring it on! đŸ™‚Â Â 

What vehicle will you be towing with?  That is first consideration….unless you can purchase a different vehicle to tow the trailer you want.  Don’t push your vehicle to its tow capacity limits as that is very hard if you do any mountain driving and stopping can be much harder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Before you do anything- find out what the towing capacity is for your vehicle.  And remember, stuff in the trailer adds weight.   If your vehicle does not have a back up camera ( extremely helpful for newbies and might save the marriage during backing up) and a brake controller, budget for that.  

Pre-owned-  inspect the crap out of it. Roof leaks, people not taking care when winterizing, poor maintenance of a black tank.  It is not always cheaper to buy a pre owned trailer as a good percent will need a bit of work or people are asking new prices for used.  We went to an RV show and got one priced one extremely well.  

Go to an RV show and looks at all the models.  Figure out what layout you like.  Personally, I don’t like ones with plumbing in the slide outs. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Pre-owned-  inspect the crap out of it. Roof leaks, people not taking care when winterizing, poor maintenance of a black tank.  It is not always cheaper to buy a pre owned trailer as a good percent will need a bit of work or people are asking new prices for used.  We went to an RV show and got one priced one extremely well.  

Good advice, but on most of the RV forums I am on they talk about how cheaply the new ones are made. In fact, we were going to replace our 12 year old 5th wheel, but when we walked in the new ones they were all pieces of crap compared to our.  Ours was so much better made.  

• Thanks 1

Ok, they are absolutely right, you need to see what you can tow. And do NOT get an RV that is at the upper limit of your vehicle. 

RVing is NOT for everyone. Honestly, whether you get a new one or a used one, there will be maintenance  and repair to be done from the get go. Think about it, you are driving a house down a road. Things get shaken loose.  You need to be comfortable repairing switches, broken vent covers, etc. You will need to winterize it. There is dumping and cleaning the black tank. 

Going to RV shows is a good idea. You might consider renting a time or two. 

LOL, of course there are locks and of course the windows open.  Some are emergency exits as well. Yes air conditioners are a given.

We get about 10 miles to the gallon when we tow. 

Now that said. We LOVE RVing and I will share our experience.

We had a travel trailer for 7 years or so. I think we bought it for 13,000 or so. It was 29 feet or so and didn't have any slides. We discovered that a big gray tank was important to us. It was a bunk house, so it had a double bed in the bottom and a twin on top in the back for the three kids. We loved it until middle child was 13 and 6 foot. He and older brother didn't fit in double bed, so he was on the couch and his feet stuck out.  We just outgrew it.

We then got a 5th wheel that is a little under 32 feet.  It has three slides: one for bedroom, one for living room, and one for kid area/now my study.  Ours actually has a 2nd bathroom in the back area where the kids used to go.  It had futons it put down where the boys slept. Plenty of room for them.  Again a twin bed that folded down that our daughter slept on. It worked great.  When the kids left the nest, we took out the futons and I now have a small desk in there and a recliner and use it as my study.  We only have one air conditioner and for awhile my husband thought we should have had two.  But then he went through and found all these place where air was leaking out in various areas around the RV and sealed them up and insulated different things and now the air conditioner works great, even when it is 100 degrees outside.  We have solar panels that he built onto pvc pipes that we can put out on the ground or up on the roof if we want to boondock and have electricity.  HE also wired in stuff for internet with a booster and it works really well.  

I have never found the RV's to be claustrophobic except the last year of the travel trailer. The slides make a big difference. 

Edited to add, that we sold that first one for 10,000 or something. Like it didn't lose much of its value at all and bought one that was 25,000.  We could have sold it for that in 2020 LOL.  Now maybe not quite that much. But we have taken super good care of it and have made some good mods to it. 

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Good advice, but on most of the RV forums I am on they talk about how cheaply the new ones are made. In fact, we were going to replace our 12 year old 5th wheel, but when we walked in the new ones they were all pieces of crap compared to our.  Ours was so much better made.  

Honestly, they are all cheaply made.  The new ones just seem to be able to see the issues much better than the ones that were made better and hid the problems.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Honestly, they are all cheaply made.  The new ones just seem to be able to see the issues much better than the ones that were made better and hid the problems.  

I guess I only know the difference between the one we own and the ones we looked at.  The difference in quality of material was striking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I guess I only know the difference between the one we own and the ones we looked at.  The difference in quality of material was striking. 

Ours is over 10 years old so I see the difference in the new ones.  Even in ours we found all kinds of stuff that we fixed but most wouldn’t have noticed until it became an issue. But when it comes down to it, they are all cheaply made.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

What vehicle will you be towing with?  That is first consideration….unless you can purchase a different vehicle to tow the trailer you want.  Don’t push your vehicle to its tow capacity limits as that is very hard if you do any mountain driving and stopping can be much harder.

Yes, right.  We've talked about the weight limit.  My suv is getting older and we've talked about replacing it so we'd get one that could tow the trailer.  We will definitely be driving through the mountains.  Here the Appalachian but the Rockies as well and they are much taller!   

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Before you do anything- find out what the towing capacity is for your vehicle.  And remember, stuff in the trailer adds weight.   If your vehicle does not have a back up camera ( extremely helpful for newbies and might save the marriage during backing up) and a brake controller, budget for that.  

Go to an RV show and looks at all the models.  Figure out what layout you like.  Personally, I don’t like ones with plumbing in the slide outs. 

Great tips.  Thanks!  We just talked about going to an RV show.  Will have to see when the next one is scheduled.  

45 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Some friends bought a Winnebago Boldt and have driven and camped various places over the past 3-4 years. It's just the two of them, and they seem to love it. It does look small to me though. 

Do they have amenities inside?

37 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Thanks.  That's very good to know.  I can definitely see an older model being better if it's been well maintained.  My concern would be fuel cost.  Are the current models more efficient?  But, I'd rather have safety and durability in a trailer.   Appreciate it!

26 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, they are absolutely right, you need to see what you can tow. And do NOT get an RV that is at the upper limit of your vehicle. 

RVing is NOT for everyone. Honestly, whether you get a new one or a used one, there will be maintenance  and repair to be done from the get go. Think about it, you are driving a house down a road. Things get shaken loose.  You need to be comfortable repairing switches, broken vent covers, etc. You will need to winterize it. There is dumping and cleaning the black tank. 

Going to RV shows is a good idea. You might consider renting a time or two. 

LOL, of course there are locks and of course the windows open.  Some are emergency exits as well. Yes air conditioners are a given.

We get about 10 miles to the gallon when we tow. 

Now that said. We LOVE RVing and I will share our experience.

We had a travel trailer for 7 years or so. I think we bought it for 13,000 or so. It was 29 feet or so and didn't have any slides. We discovered that a big gray tank was important to us. It was a bunk house, so it had a double bed in the bottom and a twin on top in the back for the three kids. We loved it until middle child was 13 and 6 foot. He and older brother didn't fit in double bed, so he was on the couch and his feet stuck out.  We just outgrew it.

We then got a 5th wheel that is a little under 32 feet.  It has three slides: one for bedroom, one for living room, and one for kid area/now my study.  Ours actually has a 2nd bathroom in the back area where the kids used to go.  It had futons it put down where the boys slept. Plenty of room for them.  Again a twin bed that folded down that our daughter slept on. It worked great.  When the kids left the nest, we took out the futons and I now have a small desk in there and a recliner and use it as my study.  We only have one air conditioner and for awhile my husband thought we should have had two.  But then he went through and found all these place where air was leaking out in various areas around the RV and sealed them up and insulated different things and now the air conditioner works great, even when it is 100 degrees outside.  We have solar panels that he built onto pvc pipes that we can put out on the ground or up on the roof if we want to boondock and have electricity.  HE also wired in stuff for internet with a booster and it works really well.  

I have never found the RV's to be claustrophobic except the last year of the travel trailer. The slides make a big difference. 

Edited to add, that we sold that first one for 10,000 or something. Like it didn't lose much of its value at all and bought one that was 25,000.  We could have sold it for that in 2020 LOL.  Now maybe not quite that much. But we have taken super good care of it and have made some good mods to it. 

Oh, it sounds wonderful.  And, it sounds like more work/maintenance than I imagined.   Still, we'll attend a show and I'm saving this thread to email for reference.  So, you and your husband travel around in a 32 ft?  I'm pretty certain ours won't be that big.  I have so much to learn.  I appreciate the details and your story.  It's encouraging!  đŸ™‚Â 

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

All RVs lower fuel economy and are like pulling a box so not fuel efficient.  There are some models that are a bit better but not much.  

Yes, I know they will suck the gas.  And, speaking of materials I guess the cheaply made ones would be lighter and easier to pull/less gas consumption.  But, I'd rather have durability and use more gas.  

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Thanks.  That's very good to know.  I can definitely see an older model being better if it's been well maintained.  My concern would be fuel cost.  Are the current models more efficient?  But, I'd rather have safety and durability in a trailer.   Appreciate it!

Fuel cost? I thought you just wanted the ones that could be towed like trailers and 5th wheels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I know they will suck the gas.  And, speaking of materials I guess the cheaply made ones would be lighter and easier to pull/less gas consumption.  But, I'd rather have durability and use more gas.  

Even the cheaply made ones cost about the same to tow.  Length can make a difference but not too much. We have a 32 fter plus 18 fr converted cargo trailer and they are very similar in cost with mileage.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

There is a saying among Evers that you can tell how well rving will go with a couple when they start learning to back into a place.   If your DH and you are not comfortable backing a car into a place, that is something to think about. 

I back in frequently b/c I don't trust drivers.   Many times they zoom past as I'm backing out so I started backing in years ago.  DH not so much but he has and does.

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, you are right.  What I mean is, it is pulling a little room/weight so the bigger the trailer the more gas.

Yeah, might make one or two gallons difference...maybe..  We got about the same with both trailers. But yes, a 19 foot might make a little difference.  But you have to weight that against how comfortable you would feel living in the space. A 19 foot would make me claustrophobic.  But we like to keep it around 30 feet because that is the limit for a lot of National Parks.  The other reason we haven't bought one is we are having trouble finding the features we want in one that is that size.  So many of the 5th wheels are 40-45 feet. That seems to be what most people are buying. 

Oh, and one story I didn't tell you, but should in regards to towing. Our first trailer we towed with our Suburban because they told us it was within the towing limit, which it was.  But it had no power at all  in the mountains and we blew out the transmission.  We then got my husband a  Ford truck, F350 to tow with.  We bought it in 2005 and it now have over 200,000 miles and has served us well.  But that is why everyone is telling you to be very careful about tow limits.  We needed the 350 with the double doors because we had to fit the 5 of us in it somewhat comfortably when we towed. Now it is just the two of us with the back seat empty. 

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, might make one or two gallons difference...maybe..  We got about the same with both trailers. But yes, a 19 foot might make a little difference.  But you have to weight that against how comfortable you would feel living in the space. A 19 foot would make me claustrophobic.  But we like to keep it around 30 feet because that is the limit for a lot of National Parks.  The other reason we haven't bought one is we are having trouble finding the features we want in one that is that size.  So many of the 5th wheels are 40-45 feet. That seems to be what most people are buying. 

Oh, and one story I didn't tell you, but should in regards to towing. Our first trailer we towed with our Suburban because they told us it was within the towing limit, which it was.  But it had no power at all  in the mountains and we blew out the transmission.  We then got my husband a  Ford truck, F350 to tow with.  We bought it in 2005 and it now have over 200,000 miles and has served us well.  But that is why everyone is telling you to be very careful about tow limits.  We needed the 350 with the double doors because we had to fit the 5 of us in it somewhat comfortably when we towed. Now it is just the two of us with the back seat empty. 

Well, we have our homework cut out for us.   This will not happen soon and maybe not at all.  But, we've talked about it more than once.  Are you going to buy another trailer in the future?

Just now, sheryl said:

Well, we have our homework cut out for us.   This will not happen soon and maybe not at all.  But, we've talked about it more than once.  Are you going to buy another trailer in the future?

We will need to eventually. I think I said our current trailer was 12 years old, but it is actually 10.  We bought it in 2012. But we have it fixed up the way we like it. Maybe in 5 years. We are going to need to replace the truck, which will not be cheap. But we have budgeted for that...actually budgeted to get a new truck and RV in 2020.... HA!!!  He wanted to order one this year, but missed out on the order. If he wanted one, he had to order by April 1. So at the beginning of the year, I think he is ordering his truck.  Our current one has broken down so many times this year. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

We will need to eventually. I think I said our current trailer was 12 years old, but it is actually 10.  We bought it in 2012. But we have it fixed up the way we like it. Maybe in 5 years. We are going to need to replace the truck, which will not be cheap. But we have budgeted for that...actually budgeted to get a new truck and RV in 2020.... HA!!!  He wanted to order one this year, but missed out on the order. If he wanted one, he had to order by April 1. So at the beginning of the year, I think he is ordering his truck.  Our current one has broken down so many times this year. 

OK, yes.  LOL I was not understanding if you had one now or not.  I did read that but that I read somewhere else to the contrary.  My mistake.  Well, dh does not own a truck.  We must now go to a show.  IDK, it just makes so much sense to travel at length.  

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

OK, yes.  LOL I was not understanding if you had one now or not.  I did read that but that I read somewhere else to the contrary.  My mistake.  Well, dh does not own a truck.  We must now go to a show.  IDK, it just makes so much sense to travel at length.  

Oh yeah, we took a three week trip to New Mexico in September. We are taking it to Indiana to a state park 10 minutes from our daughter's college in a few weeks to see her in a musical.  BTW, sorry, don't remember the ages of your kiddos. But oh my goodness, particularly for our son, who stayed in Texas, we saved so much money staying at state or local parks near the college for homecomings, parent weekend, etc.  Hotels would go for 300 dollars or more a night and we paid 20. Now the gas to get to Indiana cancels it out, but anyway.  In 2021 spring break, it was great to have all of my daughters friends come out to the park to gather. ( They had a modified spring break due to Covid.)  It was outside and much safer. But yes, we have had some kind of an RV since 2004. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Something to add to your list-  some campgrounds will not allow rvs older than 10 years old.  It tends to be the more resort like ones or wannabe resort ones.  So when you do get one,  always ask the question if you get an older one. 

Yeah, mostly really expensive ones.  We haven't come across one yet. 

• Thanks 1

We've never had a trailer, just motor homes. But in general -- absolutely yes, check build quality. Check for any signs of water leaks. Look all around where floor meets wall, in corners and where any seams are and see if you spot tiny little cracks or gaps, or can see daylight. If it's dark use a flashlight. Ask sellers all sorts of questions about their maintenance practices--how often they added caulk to the roof, about their winterizing process, how often they lubricated the slide out and window seals and with what product, brake/tire maintenance, etc. Once you've done more homework about RV's knowing about the maintenance a unit has received, or if the owner seems clueless about it, can tell you a lot.

Do be extremely careful about making sure your vehicle has plenty of extra towing capacity. You want to look at a trailer's loaded weight, not its empty weight. Much more important than "can your vehicle safely tow this weight" is "can your vehicle safely stop this weight." If you're well within the towing capacity of your vehicle (based on the trailer's loaded weight) you should have plenty of braking capacity. 

Run both the heat and AC and see how loud they are. We've been in RV's where one or the other (or both) were loud enough that carrying on a conversation was difficult. Ask owners to pop open the AC so you can see how to clean the filter. If it's filthy dirty (obviously) assume it hasn't been maintained, and consider it likely that other small maintenance tasks also likely haven't been done.

Bathroom size and type are big considerations. All RV bathrooms tend to be very tight. In general (but not always) the smaller the RV the smaller the bathroom will be. Some have wet baths, which means your shower is in the same spot as your toilet, so you have to dry everything afterwards. Most people prefer a dedicated shower, even if it's small. Also look at space around the bed. Most RV's will be tight, but you do want enough room that you can relatively easily move around the bed and change the sheets.

ETA: One other thing to make note of is the age of the tires on units you're looking at. Many (most?) RVs will need their tires replaced due to age rather than wear. Many tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires as early as six years old. AFAIK every tire expert recommends replacing tires by the time they're ten years old. There's a code on the sidewall of tires that indicates their date of manufacture. You can look up online how to find and interpret it. Tires on a trailer probably aren't nearly as expensive as the huge ones on motorized RVs, but still . . they can't be a minor expense, either. A blowout on an RV can result in serious injury or death, but at the very least it's likely to cause significant damage to the unit.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

We had a Scamp fiberglass trailer for a few years. Light to tow, pricey brand new, but they hold their value since the fiberglass doesn't break down like a stick built trailer world. 

I was going to suggest this type as well.  There are a bunch of brands that are this type of style.  They are all quite small but might be a great starter rig.  I actually travelled to the Scamp factory years ago when we were considering ordering one.  From that visit and from talking to people in campgrounds all over the place, I get the impression that all of the fiberglass models are more robust, as far as repair needs goes, than the traditional trailers.  They also DO hold their value well.  Very well.  At the time we were looking, the used models were not much less in price than ordering new.

Another thing to consider is renting a trailer (or multiple) to see what you like and if you truly want to go all in.  There are regional and national Airbnb-type owner rental services.  You could search for what is in your area.  We have had very small RVs for 20+ years now and LOVE it.  Ours does *not* have AC or a bathroom, so that is not necessarily a given, FYI.  In our case, we have never needed AC so I would not even want one.  We also don't want a bathroom.  We are considering upgrading in the near future.  We have a big trip coming up this summer and decided to reserve a rental to try out what we think we might want for that distant upgrade.  We will probably love it but in case we don't, I'd rather pay a little for a rental trial than end up stuck owning something we don't love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

We had a Scamp fiberglass trailer for a few years. Light to tow, pricey brand new, but they hold their value since the fiberglass doesn't break down like a stick built trailer world. 

We don't have a trailer yet, but I have been doing years of research in anticipation and wanted to second fiberglass trailers. They aren't cheap to buy, even used, but the owners swear by them for quality and they do hold their value so much better than stick ones. Plus they are light. Look at Scamp or Casita, and if you want to spend more, Escape ones are really nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, skimomma said:

In our case, we have never needed AC so I would not even want one.  We also don't want a bathroom.  We are considering upgrading in the near future.  

And again,  you need to think of when and where you would travel. We are often traveling when temps are in the 100's and in the RV it is in the 90's without air.  Yeah, when power went out at one campground, we hooked up the generator to run the air conditioner. Now in mountains of Colorado in the summer, yeah we open the windows and such. More often than not we need a heater, at least for a little while in the morning as it is in the 50's in the trailer.  And yeah, I don't want to be walking to the pit toilet in the middle of the night.  No thank you. And my old bladder is such that I get up several times a night to use it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

And again,  you need to think of when and where you would travel. We are often traveling when temps are in the 100's and in the RV it is in the 90's without air.  Yeah, when power went out at one campground, we hooked up the generator to run the air conditioner. Now in mountains of Colorado in the summer, yeah we open the windows and such. More often than not we need a heater, at least for a little while in the morning as it is in the 50's in the trailer.  And yeah, I don't want to be walking to the pit toilet in the middle of the night.  No thank you. And my old bladder is such that I get up several times a night to use it. 

I was just pointing out that not all RVs are going to have these things so if the OP wants them, she will need to adjust her search and budget accordingly.  And also think about what kind of camping they will do as even if they do want those things, it might conflict with the type of camping/locations they want to do.

We do camp in some very hot and cold places but we also are almost never anywhere with electrical hookups, so we have to make do without.  In most places we camp, using a generator is either forbidden or would just make us very bad neighbors.  So, I'd rather not have the additional cost and towing drag of an AC unit on top.  Same with a bathroom.  We never ever have water/sewer hook-ups available and most places we camp do not have dump stations, so again, a bathroom is a hassle and waste of space for us.  On the flip side, having a 3-way fridge is a must for me as I am done dealing with coolers and love having a fridge even when we are off grid.

I too have to make the middle-of-the-night trek to the outhouse nightly.  It's no fun but worth it for the ability to camp in more rustic campgrounds.  It snowed on our last camping trip this year and I had many unhappy thoughts when hiking to the pit toilet in the dark and snow! 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I was just pointing out that not all RVs are going to have these things so if the OP wants them, she will need to adjust her search and budget accordingly.  And also think about what kind of camping they will do as even if they do want those things, it might conflict with the type of camping/locations they want to do.

We do camp in some very hot and cold places but we also are almost never anywhere with electrical hookups, so we have to make do without.  In most places we camp, using a generator is either forbidden or would just make us very bad neighbors.  So, I'd rather not have the additional cost and towing drag of an AC unit on top.  Same with a bathroom.  We never ever have water/sewer hook-ups available and most places we camp do not have dump stations, so again, a bathroom is a hassle and waste of space for us.  On the flip side, having a 3-way fridge is a must for me as I am done dealing with coolers and love having a fridge even when we are off grid.

I too have to make the middle-of-the-night trek to the outhouse nightly.  It's no fun but worth it for the ability to camp in more rustic campgrounds.  It snowed on our last camping trip this year and I had many unhappy thoughts when hiking to the pit toilet in the dark and snow! 

Exactly.  So what we want is VASTLY different.  So the OP needs to know what she likes.  And FYI, people think we are primitive because we do often book dock with no facilities.  But we use our solar power to generate and or generators are fine during the day and we only go places where we wouldn't need it much.  Example, don't go to Fruita Campground in Capitol Reef in August.  Just don't. Wait until late September or October so you don't need air conditioning.  And yeah, sounds like you wouldn't need it either way.  So the OP needs to know if she is like me where I can take it being up to middle 80's in the trailer, but that is it. After that, I need air.  Or if she is like you and it doesn't matter. Most of the places we camp are rustic, but do have electric and sometimes water. We very rarely camp at full hook ups. 

So yeah, OP.  Neither of us is right. Neither is wrong.  We are both doing what we love.  So you need to know yourself and your husband and what you can tolerate and what you cannot.  Some people I know ONLY camp in full hook up parking lots.  They prefer to camp in cities. Not me.  Some are like @skimomma and like it really rustic.  We are somewhere in between.  You do you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sheryl said:

The Boldt seems to have basic stuff - two twin beds, a small table, shower/bathroom, small refrigerator, one burner, microwave, small counter. It does seem to me to be as luxurious as the bigger options, but it also looks so much easier to drive and park! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bambam said:

The Boldt seems to have basic stuff - two twin beds, a small table, shower/bathroom, small refrigerator, one burner, microwave, small counter. It does seem to me to be as luxurious as the bigger options, but it also looks so much easier to drive and park! 

Our last RV was a Winnebago Travato, which is a Class B similar to the Boldt. They are small but can work well for one or two people. I personally wouldn't want to travel in a Class B with anything more than a small, non-shedding dog (Sheryl has a Lab), but plenty of people do travel in them with large dogs and even multiple large dogs. It kind of freaks me out to think of all the dog hair in such a small space, but . . that's my issue. đŸ˜‰ The Travato was great for me, DH and Avatar Dog, who is non-shedding and only 16 pounds--no harder to drive than a large SUV, easy to park anywhere, easy to stealth camp. It had a two burner propane stove, small fridge, convection oven/microwave combo. Probably the big pro of the Class B/camper vans is that they're built within a standard van body, so they're significantly less prone to structural problems and leaks than other types of RVs. But the price tag for that is very high per square foot of space. They have small wet baths, so that's a bit of a challenge but manageable once you get a routine. We used a bumper carrier on ours and carried necessary stuff like our water hose, black hose and connections, some tools, and various other necessary items in totes. 

• Thanks 1

We just bought a used bumper pull camper. I had sold my pop up as it was becoming difficult for me to use on my own (fibro). I didn't want to mess with cranks or sliding beds anymore. It took me two years of looking at new and used models before I found one the right length, with AC, no rust, and fit my budget. Things here in the midwest rust quickly and in places you wouldn't think of checking.

Wants: toilet, shower, two sleeping areas, AC, heater, small kitchen, bumper pull, under 25 feet in length

Did not want: slide out, hybrid (camper with slide out beds), tv

My new camper is not 100% perfect. It has two bunk beds instead of a second full/queen bed.  It will work for me, though, as I go camping by myself and there will be plenty of room for me and my dog. There is no awning but that can be replaced later. It was used by a retired couple with no children and is clean and well maintained. We have all of the papers (sale and service) from the previous owners. They even gave us a brand new battery and a full propane tank.

I use a pick up truck with factory installed tow package and the camper is well under the weight limit.

I wanted a Scamp or a Casita but those are rare to find used in my area. I love tent camping and wanted a camper I could use on my own without having a ton of extra space to heat. Okay, truth be told, I really, really want a VW Bus Camper but that will have to wait until I win the lottery because those babies are worth their weight in gold.

My suggestion is to look at every possible camper you can and begin looking for the things that are must haves and deal breakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We've never had a trailer, just motor homes. But in general -- absolutely yes, check build quality. Check for any signs of water leaks. Look all around where floor meets wall, in corners and where any seams are and see if you spot tiny little cracks or gaps, or can see daylight. If it's dark use a flashlight. Ask sellers all sorts of questions about their maintenance practices--how often they added caulk to the roof, about their winterizing process, how often they lubricated the slide out and window seals and with what product, brake/tire maintenance, etc. Once you've done more homework about RV's knowing about the maintenance a unit has received, or if the owner seems clueless about it, can tell you a lot.

Do be extremely careful about making sure your vehicle has plenty of extra towing capacity. You want to look at a trailer's loaded weight, not its empty weight. Much more important than "can your vehicle safely tow this weight" is "can your vehicle safely stop this weight." If you're well within the towing capacity of your vehicle (based on the trailer's loaded weight) you should have plenty of braking capacity. 

Run both the heat and AC and see how loud they are. We've been in RV's where one or the other (or both) were loud enough that carrying on a conversation was difficult. Ask owners to pop open the AC so you can see how to clean the filter. If it's filthy dirty (obviously) assume it hasn't been maintained, and consider it likely that other small maintenance tasks also likely haven't been done.

Bathroom size and type are big considerations. All RV bathrooms tend to be very tight. In general (but not always) the smaller the RV the smaller the bathroom will be. Some have wet baths, which means your shower is in the same spot as your toilet, so you have to dry everything afterwards. Most people prefer a dedicated shower, even if it's small. Also look at space around the bed. Most RV's will be tight, but you do want enough room that you can relatively easily move around the bed and change the sheets.

ETA: One other thing to make note of is the age of the tires on units you're looking at. Many (most?) RVs will need their tires replaced due to age rather than wear. Many tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires as early as six years old. AFAIK every tire expert recommends replacing tires by the time they're ten years old. There's a code on the sidewall of tires that indicates their date of manufacture. You can look up online how to find and interpret it. Tires on a trailer probably aren't nearly as expensive as the huge ones on motorized RVs, but still . . they can't be a minor expense, either. A blowout on an RV can result in serious injury or death, but at the very least it's likely to cause significant damage to the unit.

Thanks, Pawz, for this detailed description as well.  I'm not certain DH is as familiar as I thought he might be re: trailers/motorhomes.   DH and I will need to study up to determine if this is the route to go.  But, I don't see a way around it.  We want to travel and see the country.  Flying here and there will be expensive when you also factor in hotels.  Still, for all of you....is it more economical.  Not talking a trade off aka "wash" but -

Traveling across country
1.  Airline tickets, hotels, food/restaurants
2.  Gasoline and all associated costs of operating and maintaining trailer along with insurance, food prepared in trailer kitchen, NO HOTELS

I appreciate this info.   Will reread and make keep a printed copy of these replies for reference!

10 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Do you have a link?  Would you buy one again?  

7 hours ago, skimomma said:

I was going to suggest this type as well.  There are a bunch of brands that are this type of style.  They are all quite small but might be a great starter rig.  I actually travelled to the Scamp factory years ago when we were considering ordering one.  From that visit and from talking to people in campgrounds all over the place, I get the impression that all of the fiberglass models are more robust, as far as repair needs goes, than the traditional trailers.  They also DO hold their value well.  Very well.  At the time we were looking, the used models were not much less in price than ordering new.

Another thing to consider is renting a trailer (or multiple) to see what you like and if you truly want to go all in.  There are regional and national Airbnb-type owner rental services.  You could search for what is in your area.  We have had very small RVs for 20+ years now and LOVE it.  Ours does *not* have AC or a bathroom, so that is not necessarily a given, FYI.  In our case, we have never needed AC so I would not even want one.  We also don't want a bathroom.  We are considering upgrading in the near future.  We have a big trip coming up this summer and decided to reserve a rental to try out what we think we might want for that distant upgrade.  We will probably love it but in case we don't, I'd rather pay a little for a rental trial than end up stuck owning something we don't love.

Thanks!  Rental - great idea.  Now, I'm not computing this - so, you don't have a toilet to use nor shower to shower in?  Huh?  AC and heat are a must for us. 

7 hours ago, livetoread said:

We don't have a trailer yet, but I have been doing years of research in anticipation and wanted to second fiberglass trailers. They aren't cheap to buy, even used, but the owners swear by them for quality and they do hold their value so much better than stick ones. Plus they are light. Look at Scamp or Casita, and if you want to spend more, Escape ones are really nice.

Thanks!  Am going to look up in a few minutes.  

7 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Oh, of course, these traielrs/motorhomes spend the night at a campground?   Right?  Is that the only place?  So, people use on-site camping bathrooms?  I'm with you, I'd rather have AC/heat and toilet/shower.

7 hours ago, skimomma said:

I appreciate your input but I'm in agreement with TexasProud in terms of preferences.  DH and I used to "tent" camp so we're very familiar with it.  But, now that we're older we much prefer the bathroom features and AC/heat.   We'll be traveling to cool weather and hot weather states around the country.  Add to that the time of year and it can get very HOT!  Humidity is another factor.  

But, everyone has their preference.  Not a right or wrong.  Those would be our preferences.  

3 hours ago, Bambam said:

OK, I'll check it out.   Appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Our last RV was a Winnebago Travato, which is a Class B similar to the Boldt. They are small but can work well for one or two people. I personally wouldn't want to travel in a Class B with anything more than a small, non-shedding dog (Sheryl has a Lab), but plenty of people do travel in them with large dogs and even multiple large dogs. It kind of freaks me out to think of all the dog hair in such a small space, but . . that's my issue. đŸ˜‰ The Travato was great for me, DH and Avatar Dog, who is non-shedding and only 16 pounds--no harder to drive than a large SUV, easy to park anywhere, easy to stealth camp. It had a two burner propane stove, small fridge, convection oven/microwave combo. Probably the big pro of the Class B/camper vans is that they're built within a standard van body, so they're significantly less prone to structural problems and leaks than other types of RVs. But the price tag for that is very high per square foot of space. They have small wet baths, so that's a bit of a challenge but manageable once you get a routine. We used a bumper carrier on ours and carried necessary stuff like our water hose, black hose and connections, some tools, and various other necessary items in totes. 

Pawz, do you have a link?

1 hour ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

We just bought a used bumper pull camper. I had sold my pop up as it was becoming difficult for me to use on my own (fibro). I didn't want to mess with cranks or sliding beds anymore. It took me two years of looking at new and used models before I found one the right length, with AC, no rust, and fit my budget. Things here in the midwest rust quickly and in places you wouldn't think of checking.

Wants: toilet, shower, two sleeping areas, AC, heater, small kitchen, bumper pull, under 25 feet in length

Did not want: slide out, hybrid (camper with slide out beds), tv

My new camper is not 100% perfect. It has two bunk beds instead of a second full/queen bed.  It will work for me, though, as I go camping by myself and there will be plenty of room for me and my dog. There is no awning but that can be replaced later. It was used by a retired couple with no children and is clean and well maintained. We have all of the papers (sale and service) from the previous owners. They even gave us a brand new battery and a full propane tank.

I use a pick up truck with factory installed tow package and the camper is well under the weight limit.

I wanted a Scamp or a Casita but those are rare to find used in my area. I love tent camping and wanted a camper I could use on my own without having a ton of extra space to heat. Okay, truth be told, I really, really want a VW Bus Camper but that will have to wait until I win the lottery because those babies are worth their weight in gold.

My suggestion is to look at every possible camper you can and begin looking for the things that are must haves and deal breakers.

That is excellent advice!  Please explain the slide out, hybrid?  

Do you want off-road capability? That will make a huge difference in how far your budget will stretch. 

We have one with fold out ends which is nice as it makes for a tonne more space when you stop for a while. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone with back problems or anything though. 

I do really recommend getting an outdoor cooking option set up if you can. Cooking indoors really heats things up and is an issue when you do a non-powered overnight stop. 

Ours has AC and heat but no toilet/shower. That is a pain for overnight stops, but it does mean you don’t have to worry about finding dump points and maintaining it I guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

OK, I'll check it out.   Appreciate it!

That is excellent advice!  Please explain the slide out, hybrid?  

A slide out is a portion of the camper that slides out to create more space within the camper. Most slide outs are in the dining and main bedroom areas. They typically extend 2-3 feet from the camper.

A hybrid is a camper with hardsides in the main living/dining/cooking areas but the beds are the same as with a pop up camper; the hard bottoms slide out and the sides and top are made of canvas. Here's a link to some pics: 6 of the Best Hybrid Campers On the Market Today (For 2020) (trekkn.co)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Still, for all of you....is it more economical.  Not talking a trade off aka "wash" but -

Traveling across country
1.  Airline tickets, hotels, food/restaurants
2.  Gasoline and all associated costs of operating and maintaining trailer along with insurance, food prepared in trailer kitchen, NO HOTELS

Whether it's more economical or not depends on many factors--what type of unit you buy/how much it costs, whether you have to buy a tow vehicle or already own something suitable, how many nights per year you use it, how much fuel you use, the cost of campgrounds you choose, how much you spend on maintenance and/or repairs (how handy you are at doing things yourself), whether or not you have to pay to store it (many HOAs don't allow RV parking and even if you live where it's allowed you need adequate space), etc. I always advise people to not get into RV'ing because they think it will save them money, but to think of it as an expensive hobby and only do it if you really enjoy that type of traveling. It meant a lot to us to be able to take our dogs and sleep in our own beds. I despise hotels.

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Winnebago Travato

Don't be too shocked at the MSRP of new RV's. I don't know if it's still true, but in the Before Times (pre-pandemic) it was a well known secret that you should expect to pay 20 to 30 percent less than MSRP on new units. And people who were willing to travel a bit--which is just about everybody who is interested in an RV--consistently got deals like that. Although I don't know if it's still true now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Do you want off-road capability? That will make a huge difference in how far your budget will stretch. 

We have one with fold out ends which is nice as it makes for a tonne more space when you stop for a while. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone with back problems or anything though. 

I do really recommend getting an outdoor cooking option set up if you can. Cooking indoors really heats things up and is an issue when you do a non-powered overnight stop. 

Ours has AC and heat but no toilet/shower. That is a pain for overnight stops, but it does mean you don’t have to worry about finding dump points and maintaining it I guess. 

Off-road as in the typical off road or does RV define it differently?

4 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

A slide out is a portion of the camper that slides out to create more space within the camper. Most slide outs are in the dining and main bedroom areas. They typically extend 2-3 feet from the camper.

A hybrid is a camper with hardsides in the main living/dining/cooking areas but the beds are the same as with a pop up camper; the hard bottoms slide out and the sides and top are made of canvas. Here's a link to some pics: 6 of the Best Hybrid Campers On the Market Today (For 2020) (trekkn.co)

Oh, yes.  Thanks.  I looked at your link.  But, probably not slide out as that would defeat the purpose of having AC to keep cool and heat to stay warm.  

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Whether it's more economical or not depends on many factors--what type of unit you buy/how much it costs, whether you have to buy a tow vehicle or already own something suitable, how many nights per year you use it, how much fuel you use, the cost of campgrounds you choose, how much you spend on maintenance and/or repairs (how handy you are at doing things yourself), whether or not you have to pay to store it (many HOAs don't allow RV parking and even if you live where it's allowed you need adequate space), etc. I always advise people to not get into RV'ing because they think it will save them money, but to think of it as an expensive hobby and only do it if you really enjoy that type of traveling. It meant a lot to us to be able to take our dogs and sleep in our own beds. I despise hotels.

Winnebago Travato

Don't be too shocked at the MSRP of new RV's. I don't know if it's still true, but in the Before Times (pre-pandemic) it was a well known secret that you should expect to pay 20 to 30 percent less than MSRP on new units. And people who were willing to travel a bit--which is just about everybody who is interested in an RV--consistently got deals like that. Although I don't know if it's still true now.

OK, going to the site now.  Yes, to the above.  Parking.  So much to consider.  So, you plan a trip around campgrounds and if they have what you want ie electrical hook up, etc?  I can see dh and I wanting to go here and there and there are campgrounds or other.  UGH!

Just now, sheryl said:

OK, going to the site now.  Yes, to the above.  Parking.  So much to consider.  So, you plan a trip around campgrounds and if they have what you want ie electrical hook up, etc?  I can see dh and I wanting to go here and there and there are campgrounds or other.  UGH!

Campground pricing can vary a lot. Full hook up costs more than just water/electric. State parks tend to be very reasonable but getting reservations can be extremely difficult due to demand. Campground sites in many of the national parks can also of course be extremely difficult to reserve due to overwhelming demand. Some private campgrounds are very resort-like with all sorts of amenities (pools, putt putt, activity directors, snack bars/restaurants, etc.) and others are very bare bones. Just like hotels--location matters a LOT. Campgrounds close to big cities or tourist areas cost more than a campground along an interstate in the middle of nowhere.

• Thanks 1