Menu

Fire/smoke October 2022

prairiewindmomma

We have been dealing with wildfire smoke for weeks, but a new fire combined with a wind shift has our air quality plummeting.  We have multiple HEPA filters going in the house…and they can’t keep up. We’re now building Corsi-Rosenthal boxes in the middle of the night.

How’s your part of the smoky West? 

ETA: our co2 levels are getting high in the house also. If anyone has any ideas on how to lower those, please share!

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 6

Our first Corsi box is up and going…our indoor AQI is back under 100 in a room where we have the HEPA and the Corsi box going. On the AQI metric, it looks like we just needed more filtration.  Our CO2 levels obviously aren’t improving, but maybe we can try opening a window in a small room tomorrow for 15 min and see if we can find a balance between CO2 and AQI if we are doing very heavy filtration.

How high are your CO2 levels? Unless you have Covid concerns with others in your house (oh, you actually do have Covid right now now that I think about it, don’t you), they would have to be extremely high before the CO2 was more of a concern than the smoke. Otherwise, windows or house fans to bring in “fresh” outdoor air are the way to lower CO2.  Except you have no way to get fresh air 😔

Lots of houseplants??

I have a ton of indoor plants, including snake. It does nothing when we measure rooms with our monitor, fwiw.

Normally we open our windows a couple of times a day and get good ventilation that keeps our CO2 manageable. We can’t do that right now and bring in more smoke. We just beat out Jean as worst quality air in the world this am.

We have our HVAC going, but it isn’t enough fresh intake right now.

We were pushing 2000 with CO2 in some rooms last night. We were able to get enough bedrooms with good AQI air last night that we could spread everyone back out to sleep and now they are around 1200-1400.

I had COVID last week and have had my second negative test, so I am no longer isolating even though it is day 8 for me. I was getting headaches from the co2 levels. 

I just did another breathing treatment. I was hesitant to open my airways up until we had consistent good AQI air where I was. At least I am breathing a bit better now…still have burning itchy eyes and a sore throat though.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

We didn't get as bad here as other places.  We only got down to unhealthy, we are back into unhealthy for sensitive people now.  DD who south of us has worse air quality.  Her college has advised them to stay inside as much as possible.

I am really looking forward to the rain to help with the air quality and with the fires.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, saw said:

I'm new to this smoke and I don't like it! Feeling a bit unwell. I don't think the HEPA filters are working well. Any recommendations for smaller air purifiers that can be used for one room? 

Fwiw, both our Levoit and Honeywell purifiers with HEPA filtration perform about the same degree of “cleanup” as each other. They do fine in a 10x10- 10x12 room, with a closed door. They are not enough for an open living/kitchen/dining room in current circumstances or in a larger bedroom despite being rated for larger spaces.

A Corsi-Rosenthal box gives you the benefit of four sets of filters purifying the air. It’s been great in a large space—brought the AQI down to 33 from 227 (inside the room numbers) in about 15 minutes.

If you are running your HVAC, don’t forget to swap out your filters there either. Ours are turning brown every few days.  

Just being inside doesn’t do enough to clean the air, especially for sensitive folks. The studies from OHSU from the 2020 fires clearly show that—and so do the numbers from any AQI meter.

• Like 2