Menu

Government/civics

My high school kids need a half credit in government/civics. I could phone it in, but honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea. My own civics knowledge is pretty lamentable 😬

Anyways, any recs?  Online or textbook based would both work.  Something balanced would be ideal, I realize anything political is going to lean one way or another, but I want to avoid complete bias.

You could have them go through the Khan materials and then add in movies, podcasts, etc. We used Khan as our "textbook" for AP government last year; they have a non-AP version, but I think it's about the same material. And then there are SO MANY podcasts that are great...Constitutional, Civics 101, More Perfect...

My college class right now is using an online textbook (Common Sense Government) through Poptential.org (free) and my professor rips quiz questions from Quizlet, but honestly, the Khan Academy AP gov class is more thorough.  I end up taking all my notes on Khan and then doing the corresponding work on Poptential.

You might want to look at the online civics program here: https://cor.stanford.edu/

It's a nice way to learn how to evaluate sources.  It's also handy with the debates and election season upon us.  When oldest ds was at home, we did a year of combining logic and government lessons, and then watched the debates and ads to find fallacies.

We ended up using American Government: A Complete Coursebook (which I had to update at multiple points because it was out of date), a Supreme Court Case Studies book from Glencoe (found online), and now Modern States American Government course for CLEP prep. The plus side is that the text is short so we have plenty of time to add in the Modern States course, which ironically includes another textbook.

Thanks, I'll look into Khan, because outsourcing to something fairly independent sounds great tbh.  

I used quite a bit of icivics when I did a late elementary/middle school, 1 quarter long, government run through a few years ago.  It was quality but a LOT of work on my end to put together.