Menu

Kid wants to accelerate math. Now what?

Lawyer&Mom

My third grader has started asking if she is smart enough for high school math.  I told her of course she is, but she’d have to learn fourth through eighth grade math first.  Her response?  Okay, so when can I start fourth grade math?  Ugh.

She’s in school so she can’t move through that curriculum at her own pace.  We could after-school ahead in math, but my priority for after school has been read-alouds and French.  (This is maybe a half-hour a day.)  I could carve out a bit of daily time for math with her, but not a lot.  Maybe dad could do more on the weekends.

Any math curriculum ideas that would allow a kid to work semi-independently?  And would be interesting enough for a kid?  (I could hand her Lial’s this afternoon, but that’s not exactly compelling.) I’d rather not spend a ton, I don’t know how durable this math kick will be.  She’s dabbled in the first two books of 3rd grade Beast Academy, and I could steer her back that way, but I suspect she wants to learn ahead more than she wants to dive deeper.  I don’t see a problem with giving her access to what she really wants, even if I’m not going to push her to do it.  

Hmm. Maybe since we absolutely don’t need a full curriculum, I can get her Hands on Equations, tell her it’s high school math (which isn’t really a lie…) and just see how far we get.  I think she’d enjoy jumping straight to algebraic thinking without having to finish all of arithmetic first.  Especially since she will have to do all of arithmetic over again at school.  

• Like 1

Been there, done that...Mine started finding algebra placement tests, printing them, doing them and leaving them on my computer. As a 7 yr old third grader. 

So, we finished SM through 5B, LOF Fractions, and Decimals and percents. All of which took...about a month after I said that was the requirement to start algebra. Keys to Algebra and LoF PA was a good first step, and then we moved into AoPS PA. We'd already done HoE and as much of Dragonbox as was out at the time. HoE now has an app, so that and Dragonbox might be good independent work. Keys might be relatively independent as well, but since she's got to do school math, might be too much writing. 

• Like 1

What about Mortensen?  She can work in whatever strand she finds interesting at the moment.

I have found that other than self-teaching programs, which often have a lot of review (like Math Mammoth), it's necessary for a young student to have someone to interact with and correct faulty premises. DS loved working with Gattegno math, which does require interaction and then moves into open-ended conceptual work at each micro-lesson.  But, it was necessary for me to work with him first and make sure he understood the idea he was working with.

4 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Okay so LoF looks amazing.  Rainbow Resource says to start at the beginning regardless of grade.  What says the Hive?

Begin at the beginning.  It ramps up quickly, introducing sigma notation and sets by the 4th or 5th book, IIRC. Plus, it's one long story. 

My youngest loved it through Mineshaft, but the upper books were a bust.

• Like 1

We did Life of Fred, he read Murderous Maths, and he loved Aops.  DS read Beast Academy after he'd already started AOPS since his sister was using them, and he loved those too. He loved any books about math.  I got a lot of choices from here -- there were lists floating around.  Number Devil, Penrose the Mathematical Cat, Why Pi, then later Math with Bad Drawings, Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension, What IF... so many great books about math or related to math! 

He started with Aops Pre-Algebra in 3rd grade once he'd worked through Singapore Math 4 and 5.  We just took it slow -- it took about a full calendar year.  This was during homeschooling though.

I would recommend Zearn up to 6th or 7th grade followed by a prealgebra/basic math text. Most of them, like this or this or this, start from the basics of addition and go from there (albeit at a faster rate), so if she's the type to get things quickly, there's no reason why she can't start with them right now. The idea of doing middle school math would obviously be great for her confidence and perhaps make her more gritty when she inevitably struggles.

By "Little Monsters", does she mean Beast Academy?

Edited by Malam

Give Beast Academy Online a trial run. It's pretty fun. I wouldn't just turn it on and leave them to it, though. Show them how it works with the different parts: you read the comics, do the lessons, and then have a go with the puzzle lab. There's videos as well but they're pretty dull. My kids tend to pick and choose the bits they like (my daughter has been doing nothing but logic all year) but it's good to do it in order. Start with BA3 and go from there. 

There's also Khan Academy which I find is even easier to just work through without having to find different bits here and there. 

On 10/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, Malam said:

By "Little Monsters", does she mean Beast Academy?

Yes.  We have 3A and 3B.  She’s devoured the comics, but only dabbled in the workbooks.  (This was at least a year ago, I bought the books ages ago when 3A was the first one.)  The last time we tried we had to sit next to her while she attempted the problems, or she would give up because it wasn’t instantly easy.  I’m all for working on hard things, but I don’t know if I have the time.  Maybe no matter what we do we just set a timer.  Easier to get the kids to commit to ten minutes of something everyday.  It’s what we do with French.  (I know ten minutes isn’t much, but this *is* after schooling.)

21 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Yes.  We have 3A and 3B.  She’s devoured the comics, but only dabbled in the workbooks.  (This was at least a year ago, I bought the books ages ago when 3A was the first one.)  The last time we tried we had to sit next to her while she attempted the problems, or she would give up because it wasn’t instantly easy.  I’m all for working on hard things, but I don’t know if I have the time.  Maybe no matter what we do we just set a timer.  Easier to get the kids to commit to ten minutes of something everyday.  It’s what we do with French.  (I know ten minutes isn’t much, but this *is* after schooling.)

Maybe buy the guides and let her read them for fun, but use something different for practice. As someone with a math ed background, I'm torn on BA. On one hand, I can definitely see where it involves puzzles and problem solving beyond the typical math curriculum, just as AoPS does. OTOH, most young children simply don't have the mental stamina of kids who are doing Math Counts, AMC 8/10/12, etc as their chosen extracurricular! It didn't come out until L was past that point, but honestly, I'm not sure that it would have worked for my mathy kid even as a complete homeschooler for 3rd grade level math. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I said I wanted her to be able to work on her own, but *I* love Life of Fred.  His sense of humor and interest in curious non-math tangents is *very* Autistic, in the best possible way.  I imagine the initial enthusiasm will wane, but Fractions has been a big hit at our house. 

• Like 1