Menu

Well-trained bodies - October

Laura Corin

This is turning out to be a very busy week, between school and work and family stuff, and my exercise routine is getting squeezed. 

I stopped work at a more or less normal time yesterday, scooted out to run some errands (which logged at least a few steps), came home and walked enough to reach my step goal, then sat back down at my laptop and worked until about 10:30.

Walked this morning, but only just barely 4K. The cats insisted on their patio time, so I did a 20-minute seated upper arm video. That was it for today, though, because I really needed to get back to my desk. (Prepping a presentation for a meeting at 2:00 today.)

Once I get past work this afternoon, I need to spend most of the evening on school stuff. I have an assignment due tomorrow evening that I haven't made much of a start on yet and then another, larger assignment due on Sunday. But, at some point, I'll take a break and go for another walk.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 408.6 of 600K
Walking Streak: 157 days

• Like 6

@Jenny in Florida I haven't made exercise a number one priority this week but some weeks will be like that.

I'm not losing weight, in fact I gained a pound or two. My steps weren't bad, but I don't burn many calories from walking so I need to force myself back on the bike and just haven't felt like it. Maybe if I could attach my laptop to the bike Lol. I'm trying to make crafts for my vendor booth (Oct. 20). I need to catch up on work stuff, too. Very distracted. And then dealing with lawyers/legal stuff. 

I'm going to try to look at this as a minor setback. And I'll have a 3-day weekend (took Monday off for dd's fall break) part of which I hope to be active. Friday is my birthday and I bought a brownie mix to make brownies and share with the kids. I'm taking the kids to dinner Friday. So I already know this week is kind of a wash, but something has to take the back burner. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Dd and I went on a walk after dinner. Almost 2 miles. Better than nothing I guess. 

Two miles is significantly better than nothing!

This is one of those moments when I think of that saying about not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good enough.

Good for you for getting out for a walk.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thursdays are always busy as I have my university module in the evening,  but yesterday was a bit pushed because I also had to work from the office in order to be on hand to firefight a potential row between two colleagues.  Sigh. 

Anyway. Only managed a one-mile dog walk first thing and a brisk walk at lunchtime, to return library books and buy a nice new insulated bag for my packed lunches.

It's now 3am and I've woken up with a sore throat.  I can hear the comfortable sound of my milk being delivered.  Time to take some paracetamol, read a book,  then try to sleep again.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

@heartlikealion Happy birthday 

This week I ran 6.5 miles With hills Tuesday, 8 miles Wednesday, and 6 miles with a track workout Thursday. I was planning on swimming this morning but changed my mind practice starts at 5:30 am and I have a long day ahead. I need to pick my dd up from university and that’s a 7 hr round trip drive that I can’t get started on until 1. So I decided sleeping in wins out. 

I’ve been disappointed by my run times lately. I came into last fall running faster than I am now. Last summer I was able to get a lot more running in. This summer between triathlon training and some circumstances beyond my control I ran less. I was still active with biking and swimming but none of that helps running. I want to keep a base line of biking and swimming this winter to not lose what I have gained for next summer’s triathlon season but I also want to get in more running for my upcoming marathon. I’m debating hiring a coach to map this all out but I already spend a fair amount between run practice and swim practice and at the end of the day I am just a back of the packer. 

• Like 7

@Laura Corinhope that the sore throat passes quickly

🎉@heartlikealion HAPPY BIRTHDAY🎉

@hshibley I hear you on the conflict. As an outsider I'd say if you have the money to spend and want to, why not? Working on personal improvement is a good thing.

@Jenny in Floridagood luck getting the school work done

@mommyoffive and @Harriet Vane it is a delight to combine active time and friend time--- I love when that happens

------------------------------------

I had planned to do yoga yesterday morning but was up in the night and ended up sleeping in and dd had an appointment so I had to leave early. I did get in 2 hrs of pickleball while the girls had TKD.

Today's plan:

--- full body strength + at least 15 min yoga (hopefully at least 20)

Taking kids to pumpkin patch so a decent amount of walking around

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@heartlikealion Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

I went for 2 dog walks yesterday. My calf is sloooooooowly healing. It's hard to stay patient. 😉  My tennis elbow is still sore. I probably added to the pain during my kayaking. It was worth it, though!

It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. There's an extended family dinner planned on my in-law side - the first since COVID hit. It should be nice. We used to have large Sunday dinners with the gang weekly. 

• Like 6

Just now, wintermom said:

@heartlikealion Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

I went for 2 dog walks yesterday. My calf is sloooooooowly healing. It's hard to stay patient. 😉  My tennis elbow is still sore. I probably added to the pain during my kayaking. It was worth it, though!

It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. There's an extended family dinner planned on my in-law side - the first since COVID hit. It should be nice. We used to have large Sunday dinners with the gang weekly. 

I do find that paddling is a direct stressor to tennis elbow. I have struggled with lateral epicondalitis a couple times. I had some success canoeing in August with a specific setup.

I put on a medium-compression elbow sleeve first. Over that, I wound a strong Ace bandage in a figure-8 between bicep and forearm. 

The figure-8 prevented me from fully extending the joint (in other words, kept it bent).

The other thing I strongly recommend is to ice that elbow religiously 2-4 times per day on a schedule (not based on pain). It is almost as effective as taking ibuprofen to fend off swelling/inflammation. I do this at home by dipping my elbow in a mixing bowl of cold water with a cup of ice cubes. I use the same bowl all day, covering between uses and adding ice cubes (just a cup will do the trick) each time I want to dip.

(Forgive me if I have shared before—I know I have written about it on the boards but honestly do not remember to who.)

• Like 5

@Laura Corin - I hope that sore throat feels better in the morning.

Another late night for me yesterday and, you know what, I'm really tired today.

I took two shorter walks last night -- one before dinner and schoolwork, and one after -- to finish off the day's steps. The dog grudgingly accompanied me on the first but declined the second. (I'm actually worried about her. She has gotten increasingly resistant to walking with me and generally seems kind of wobbly. I need to call the vet and get her in for a check-up.)

I didn't finish with the school stuff until well after midnight, which meant that, even with my later alarm, by the time I took the dog out, got her settled in her crate, said goodnight to the cat who doesn't sleep on my bed, brushed my teeth and generally let my brain wind down, I managed only 4.5 hours of sleep. 

Walked about 4.25K this morning, again without canine companionship. Saw some lovely low-lying fog and dramatic spider webs along the way. I did go out on the patio for strength and stretching, but I stuck with the lightest weights and cut a couple of the exercises that just seemed too hard for my extremely tired limbs. I substituted extra sets of the exercises I did feel I could do.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 417.3 of 600K
Walking Streak: 158 days

IMG_20221007_080345083_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I turned 40. 

Took kids out for dinner and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said my neighbor (we’re friends and she knew my plans) had popped in and paid for the meal + tip! Sooo sweet. 

I ate dessert at home and was exhausted after dropping ds off with Dad but also kinda wanted to exercise. Dd urged me to do my exercise after I put on my pjs lol I immediately changed into shorts and we watched a movie together while I biked. 65 min on the bike — near the end my tailbone/butt hurt. Might not be from old injury. Might just happen from long time on bike? Step count was a little over 8k so maybe I balanced out some of the dessert. 

Tomorrow we plan to go swimming (which honestly probably won’t be much exercise since I can’t do laps and watch dd). 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I took a brisk walk out on the lane today and did some PT stuff. And I watched all of Season 3 of Derry Girls, but that probably doesn't count as exercise. 😏

The first two seasons of Derry Girls was a Covid binge watch for me this summer. I'll have to catch season 3. Probably not as a binge though!

I did Adriene's latest yoga video this morning--20 min Intermediate Power Yoga. "Intermediate" and "Power" are words that would make me normally avoid a video, but I've done a lot of stretch-on-the-floor ones recently and thought the challenge might be good for me. I'm terrible at side planks, particularly if right shoulder is supposed to be doing the supporting, but otherwise was able to do everything okay.

I did grocery shopping Thursday after school and the every-six-weeks Costco run after school yesterday so I don't need to leave the house today. Yay! But I do have dd again as her foster home is still short-staffed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My tracker says I walked about 3.5K at some point yesterday evening. I remember telling my husband I was going for a walk, and I remember being kind of warm and sweaty when I came back inside, but the walk must not have been particularly interesting, because I don't remember it much.

No yoga this morning, so I walked a little longer than I usually do on Saturdays. I managed 4K before I had to get home, shower and get dressed, because my husband and I had plans to go to an excellent art festival. I logged another 2-3K wandering (slowly) around the festival and spent far too much money on art. Now it's schoolwork for the rest of the afternoon and evening, so all I'll manage is another walk later to finish off the day's steps.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 424.5 of 600K
Walking Streak: 159 days

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm up to my eyes in essay.  Today I just managed a short dog walk. I should finish a solid first draft tomorrow.  I need to submit by 12 noon on Friday, but I have class on Thursday night, so it's really a Wednesday night deadline. 

I have to submit my current assignment by midnight Sunday. It's one of those times when being an overachiever bit me. Two weeks ago, we had to submit a list of at least 10 sources for a research paper proposal. I got on a roll and submitted 15. This week, the assignment is to write the introduction for that research paper proposal . . . which includes summarizing all of the sources on the list we submitted two weeks ago. So, I essentially gave myself 50% more work to do.

I'm camped on the patio with my laptop (for writing the draft), tablet (for reading the research papers/sources), water bottle, dog and one or both cats. I have just eaten chocolate. Hoping I can get in gear and get this done.

Good luck!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I took a good walk on the lane today. The gorgeous, brisk October temperatures and pretty fall foliage add to the incentive to get out there, so I'm trying to take full advantage and do walks as much as possible. I'll follow up with more PT stuff before I head to bed later. 

And I also enjoyed a British Bake Off Christmas special featuring the Derry Girls cast. 🤩

• Like 7

I took a break from school stuff last night and walked a little over 3K, which finished off my steps for the day.

I got a bit of a later start than I had hoped today. The dog woke me at 5:00 absolutely frantic to go outside, and it took her, the cat who follows us around the house constantly and me a little while to settle back down to sleep. So, I didn't end up actually getting moving until 8:00. I also woke up with most of a paragraph for the assignment I'm writing swirling in my brain and decided I had better get than typed before I forgot . . . all of which means I didn't start out for my 10K walk until after 9:30. I made it, but my pace was not what I would have liked, and it was definitely warm by the time I was making my way home. 

I need to get this assignment completed and submitted by midnight tonight, so it's time to get myself back in my chair and focused. At some point, I will take another walk to log the remaining steps for the day. Fortunately, started the day with a 10K means I need only a couple of thousand steps to meet my daily goal.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 423.9 of 600K
Walking Streak: 160 days

PumpkinRun2022.png

• Like 6

I had a work-related nightmare, then overslept. I woke up to a weird squeaky noise - I had been in bed so long that my 8-hour sleeping music had rolled over into a recording of Ave Maria - playing in a tiny voice over my phone speakers.

The rest of my day was less alarming - I spent around seven hours finishing a first draft of my essay, then managed a brisk walk and a yoga session, in addition to my lunchtime dog walk. Blondie is on good form at the moment, happily running to catch up with me on short walks. This video from a few years ago makes me happy - sorry about the wind noise.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Laura Corin Blondie is adorable! I'm glad she's doing well. (And congratulations on finishing that draft.)

I unexpectedly finished my assignment earlier than I anticipated (feared) I would. I kind of expected to be working on it until close to the midnight deadline, but I reached the stage at which I had read it and tweaked it over and over and just kept comparing it to rubric to make sure I had everything covered. I finally decided that if I held off on submitting, I was about as likely to make it worse as to make it better. 

Then I went and wrote out all of the assignments for this week in my planner. Let's just say I'll be glad to take a break this evening before jumping into the next modules.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yikes those class deadlines sound stressful. I hope everything went well with the recent assignments. 

sorry the foster home is short staffed @Ali in OR

Saturday dd and I went to the YMCA pool. They’d reopened both pools. Apparently the “therapy pool” is the ideal one for kids. It’s 0-4ft deep. I lost track of time but I think we were there roughly 2 hrs and dd still refused to cooperate when I said it was time to go. There was a very slight chance we’d get my clogged tub looked at that afternoon/evening as my landlord asked if Sat was an ok time to come. I told him I wasn’t sure when we’d be home. 

Dd and I decided to go to the movies so I said only if we shower here. It just made the most sense as home was out of the way and my tub kept getting standing water. Well I was trying not to touch the floor and removed a pool shoe to get my pant leg on… should have pulled up pant material ahead of time… foot didn’t slide down easily, was getting caught on fabric… lost balance. Fell on my butt/tailbone again!!! Awful. So I was super mad at myself/the situation. The floor wasn’t very dry there and I should have slid everything over to use the bench or laid one of our wet towels on the floor for at least some protection from the slick floor. The entire locker room/bathroom is these tiny white shower tiles and various areas were damp. Some of that was our fault from removing wet suits but I don’t know how much control we had over the situation. Next time I’ll bring more bags for wet items and an extra towel to stand on.

The competition pool isn’t kept very warm but I’m willing to try it. After a few laps maybe it’s not as bad. 

I pray that I can still swim with injured tailbone because cycling will be out of the question again. Dd and I went on a walk today. I made her take a photo of me standing how I thought the machine worked originally. 

while I was preparing this post my landlord’s brother came over and fixed my tub. He did exactly what I did but made a better seal. Took a little time but it’s draining better now! Bought new shampoo and conditioner last night. Will be nice to use shower again lol 

met owner of dog that always barks at me by park. She said dogs are actually friendly and yes it’s fine if I wanted to feed them something so I said I might bring a dog bone treat one day to let them know I’m friendly. Both dogs were on leashes this time. 

3CCF886A-13F6-40A5-B52D-44C113D76118.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I never remember to post on these ones.

I’ve still been doing the  99 Walks App but due to a sore knee started aqua fitness classes this summer so did much less walking. Knee improved, for sure. Really like the water classes. Biked a lot too.

Broke my little toe 2 weeks ago and can’t wear a sneaker so no walking for me lately, sigh. (Whacked it on the doorway to the laundry room, not even anything exciting, lol)

Gained back 10 lbs in the last year, need to get back to serious about low carb again.

love reading what everyone else is up to!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I never remember to post on these ones.

I’ve still been doing the  99 Walks App but due to a sore knee started aqua fitness classes this summer so did much less walking. Knee improved, for sure. Really like the water classes. Biked a lot too.

Broke my little toe 2 weeks ago and can’t wear a sneaker so no walking for me lately, sigh. (Whacked it on the doorway to the laundry room, not even anything exciting, lol)

Gained back 10 lbs in the last year, need to get back to serious about low carb again.

love reading what everyone else is up to!

Welcome to the clutz club? 😉 

you’re doing great 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Hilltopmom Ouch! Broken toes are no fun. Hope it heals quickly.

@Laura Corin Wonderful video of Blondie on the beach! Wish I was close to a beach for my border collie to race around on. It looks like a lot of fun! Great job getting your essay draft completed. Hope the work nightmare topic is resolved and you can sleep easier now.

@Jenny in Florida All the best with your research paper. I'm so happy to be getting paid for summarizing and writing reports now. I don't enjoy doing them, but at least there is a monetary reward now that I've finished school. It is really nice to see the skills I developed in grad school being put to use, though. 

---------------------------------------------

I've been able to walk longer and faster now, and the calf/achilles is feeling a lot better. I even went for a brisk bike ride to get the heart pumping. It felt great. Tomorrow I'll be playing tennis again, so I hope the body holds up alright. Fingers crossed! 😉 

• Like 5

@Hilltopmom Welcome!

@heartlikealionlol--- fwiw I didn't know what to do with those things until someone showed me. You're so young 🙂

@wintermom Girl!!! Best wishes but be careful.

@Laura Corin Wow, 8 hours of sleep, when is the last time that happened? Glad you got away for a bit in the midst of all the writing.

@Jenny in Florida ya for getting the assignment done early

@Harriet Vane glad you are feeling up to enjoying the weather

@Ali in OR I hope you had a good weekend with your daughter

----------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday--- rest day--- should have been yoga but I slept in due to rough sleep in the night and then we were working outside and I got busy

Sunday--- HIIT--- lots of housework, worked outside, and whacked around the pickleball with the girls

I finished Week 6 of Epic 3. (10 weeks total)

This will be Week 7---  Strength--Lower Body/Upper Body/Lower Body/ Full  Body  and Tabata HIIT

Tuesday/Thursday Pickleball---- Maybe a cardio class with friend on Saturday. She went this Saturday.

Might do a swim day Friday?

I only got in 2 days of yoga this week, mostly due to my sleep not being great. I'll hope for better but we'll see. I think I only did 2 official walks too but got in my step goals.

We made some progress on the shop. It has been very slow going the last month between dh's hurt back and busy schedules. We are hoping to start on siding next weekend but that depends on dh's homework load and how fast we get the rest of the trim put up. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

Progress so far. The shop is 28x32. The front and side just need siding - installing and painting.

The left side we have to do the top osb and wrap it and install the metal.

The back we have a ton to do because of the height. We have to do dirt work and build scaffolding. Then it is finish sheathing, wrap it, fascia, windows, and siding. (I think that's it)

Then when we have the funds, probably not until DH graduates we can start work on the wiring, upstairs flooring, insulation, etc. Then at some point we need to do the carport but it won't be enclosed so a much easier and cheaper build. 

IMG_20221009_175134567_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Soror said:

IMG_20221009_175134567_HDR.jpg

The shop looks great! 

@wintermom yes, there's a lot of dog space on the Chariots of Fire beach at low tide.

@Hilltopmom and @heartlikealion sorry to hear about your injuries!

@Ali in OR I look back with astonishment at how I used regularly to be able to sleep late in the morning.  It's so rare these days.

@Jenny in Florida well done for hitting your deadline with space to spare!

---------------------

Today I had an online meeting straight through lunchtime, but I was able to lift weights with the camera off for part of it.  Then a quick dog walk, followed by a brisk walk after work.  Autumn is coming early this year because it's been so dry.

20221010_174538.jpg

20221010_182854.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin Gorgeous photos! I love the stone buildings and bridges. Is that a canal or river? Looks good for kayaking! 😉 

@Soror Wonderful shop you've all built! Great sized parking pad, too. 

-------------------------------------

Tennis went very well this afternoon!! I'm so relieved that my calf held out for the full 2 hrs. The weather was sunny and relatively warm, which helped emensely. I won't be playing tennis nearly as much as previously as the outdoor season is winding up, so my arm should heal as well.

Dd and I also took the dogs to the off-leash trails and let puppy run around like crazy. The big family Thanksgiving dinner was very pleasant yesterday, as well. All in all, a great weekend!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Gorgeous photos! I love the stone buildings and bridges. Is that a canal or river? Looks good for kayaking! 😉 

@Soror Wonderful shop you've all built! Great sized parking pad, too. 

-------------------------------------

Tennis went very well this afternoon!! I'm so relieved that my calf held out for the full 2 hrs. The weather was sunny and relatively warm, which helped emensely. I won't be playing tennis nearly as much as previously as the outdoor season is winding up, so my arm should heal as well.

Dd and I also took the dogs to the off-leash trails and let puppy run around like crazy. The big family Thanksgiving dinner was very pleasant yesterday, as well. All in all, a great weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving! 

That's a burn/stream. You could kayak at this point in the village where the water is constrained by walls - that's the old village centre next to a former flax mill - but beyond the village it is only running 20 to 30 cms deep in places.  

• Like 6

Missed posting yesterday because I ended up doing a semi-spontaneous theme park day courtesy of my son. He and his girlfriend, their current roommate and the roommate with whom they will be moving in next month are all in the Bourne stunt show at Universal, and it happened that they were all in the show together yesterday. So, our son figured it was the right day to get us some freebies so we could come see the show for the first time. The show was awesome (even though I am not an action person); I saw it twice. But being at the Universal parks also meant I had the chance to wander around and see the Harry Potter stuff, which I had not had a chance to explore before. (My husband works for Disney, so WDW is like our backyard, but we haven't done Universal since the kids were little.) 

In any case, it was a nice day, very pleasant weather, and I clocked nearly 10,000 steps over my daily goal. I also did my regular Monday strength and stretching on the patio before I left for the park.

Started today with a good 4.75K walk. Normally, Tuesday would be an upper body day, but I was feeling bored and wanted something different. So, I did a 16-minute walking/HIIT video (with a couple of modifications to protect my knees) and then an 8-minute "deskercise" stretch video. 

Yoga tonight, and I will finish off my daily steps before and/or after, depending on weather and work schedule. 

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 449.0 of 600K
Walking Streak: 162 days

IMG_20221010_133426155_HDR-small.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

@Jenny in Florida - what fun!

Yesterday worked okay - I had to attend a routine meeting at Mum's care home at lunchtime,  but after work I walked the dog and then did twenty minutes of intervals on the rowing machine.

I was aiming for thirty, but realised that I shouldn't be pushing my knee that much. I have a walking trip planned for next week, so I should be being careful. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Jenny in Florida loved the pic, sounds like a blast. Your son and friends must be in great shape and quite talented.

----------------------------------

I've not felt very well since Sunday afternoon. I *think* it's my gallbladder acting up again. My stomach is off, and it hurts, and I'm just very blah. I actually skipped my am workout yesterday which is a very rare occurrence. I did go play pickleball as I had to go in anyway to pick up dd from swim. I think feeling bad helped as it slowed me down. I played considerably better than I did last week. I'm up in the night again and my stomach is still blech so we'll if I get a workout this am. If I do I'll not be pushing very hard as that doesn't sound appealing or like a good idea atm. Mostly taking it easy and trying to eat good low fat foods.

• Sad 7

Went to yoga last night. I left early with the intention of walking while over there, just for a change of scenery. However, I was feeling very draggy, both physically and emotionally, and wound up just sitting in my car listening to my audiobook until class time. It was an unusually laid-back class, which was probably good for me. 

When I got home, I collected the dog and went out for another walk (about 3K) to finish off my steps.

The dog was uninterested in going with me again this morning, so I coaxed her around the block just for her own needs, then dropped her at home and went back out by myself, for a total of about 4.5K. Followed that with the usual strength and stretching on the patio and added a few yoga poses at the end.

I have to buckle down on schoolwork tonight, but I will make time at some point for another walk.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 456.0 of 600K
Walking Streak: 163 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Soror said:

I've not felt very well since Sunday afternoon. I *think* it's my gallbladder acting up again. My stomach is off, and it hurts, and I'm just very blah. I actually skipped my am workout yesterday which is a very rare occurrence. I did go play pickleball as I had to go in anyway to pick up dd from swim. I think feeling bad helped as it slowed me down. I played considerably better than I did last week. I'm up in the night again and my stomach is still blech so we'll if I get a workout this am. If I do I'll not be pushing very hard as that doesn't sound appealing or like a good idea atm. Mostly taking it easy and trying to eat good low fat foods.

I hope you're feeling better soon! Stomach pain is really rough - makes it so hard to do anything. Big hugs.

• Like 3