Menu

Well-trained bodies - October

Laura Corin

I don’t think I could block out the noise with a machine though I did recently discover “brown noise” which is nice. 

I still need to ask my landlord to come over when the noise is bad but I’ve sent video clips with the noise a few times over the past month or so, so they know. They had a ladder in my yard the other day — I think to trim branches away from the house to discourage squirrels from hopping back and forth. 

Last night I did 30 min on the bike. I need to try to exercise tonight. Dd is wide awake but school got canceled (lots of sickness going around plus lice on the van) so I might let her stay up while I work out. 

Enjoyed my watermelon lol 

ohh the new jeans arrived and were the right version (if you look at the photos some appear to have a slit and some don’t. One review said there was a slit so I was confused. No slit luckily). They are high waisted bootcut which helps with the love handles but just a bit too snug and cause top of torso to poke out. I love them otherwise so that’s just motivation to lose more. The other jeans I own are too baggy so I’m sorta in between. 

@Harriet Vane can someone assist with the tilt board? It’s as if you described me on certain roller coasters lol I can’t stand a steep drop then the ride is fine. 

@wintermom I hope the tennis elbow clears up. 

@Soror I learned a new thing online called the around the post (ATP) hit in pickleball. Might come in handy one day. 

• Like 6

@heartlikealion Technically dh is usually around and can help, but he's really trying to help me be brave and strong and learn how to do this myself. His "help" is usually either to keep tapping away at the computer in the next room or to stand randomly sorta nearby and say, "You're doing great!" Which is, of course, appreciated though I will admit to wishing he would actually put his hand on the teeter to slow the descent. Ah well. Step by step.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

@heartlikealion Technically dh is usually around and can help, but he's really trying to help me be brave and strong and learn how to do this myself. His "help" is usually either to keep tapping away at the computer in the next room or to stand randomly sorta nearby and say, "You're doing great!" Which is, of course, appreciated though I will admit to wishing he would actually put his hand on the teeter to slow the descent. Ah well. Step by step.

Aw 😕 

——-

48 min on the bike and watched part of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch movie. I only remember the show. Some of the same actors. Ryan Reynolds is the love interest. 

• Like 4

@heartlikealion interesting--- I really should look up some tutorials.

I've said ---

step 1--- hit the ball (I missed more than not at first)--- I usually can hit the ball now

step 2- hit the ball in bounds--- I usually get it in bounds

Now I'm on step 3--- focus on the type of hits---mostly I lob it entirely too much which makes it easier to return. If I hit it hard I often also pop it up

There were some tennis kids there last night. They've hardly played pickleball but have natural talent with it due to all their tennis experience. Gosh they were so arrogant. My play was okish.

Today-- full body strength this am and more painting outside. My shoulder is still sore so we'll see what I can do. I hope to get at least one coat on the side (what I'd hoped to get last weekend). Dh has to work on ds' car tomorrow so I can do coat 2 then since we won't be able to work on the shop until he's done.

• Like 7

Day off today. I'm planning to get dd out for a walk--that will be my exercise so I'm not on the treadmill this morning.  I need to do a few things for school and get groceries and then dh and I will head to the coast. We haven't done a night away in...pretty much forever. Or 25 years anyway. We'll take the dog, so no romantic candlelight dinners.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I've said ---

step 1--- hit the ball (I missed more than not at first)--- I usually can hit the ball now

Now I'm on step 3--- focus on the type of hits---mostly I lob it entirely too much which makes it easier to return. If I hit it hard I often also pop it up

There were some tennis kids there last night. They've hardly played pickleball but have natural talent with it due to all their tennis experience. Gosh they were so arrogant. My play was okish.

Today-- full body strength this am and more painting outside. My shoulder is still sore so we'll see what I can do. I hope to get at least one coat on the side (what I'd hoped to get last weekend). Dh has to work on ds' car tomorrow so I can do coat 2 then since we won't be able to work on the shop until he's done.

Ignore them. That’s so annoying. I actually just got my tennis racket back from xh but have no one to play with yet. I am not really an experienced tennis or pickleball player (racket was given to me years ago by my dad I think) but interested in both. I really am not that competitive and don’t care much about scores. I mainly want to play for fun/exercise. It’s intimidating to me to find a partner. And with pickleball, due to limited courts, no one plays singles so you have to meet up with 3 people and I might be self conscious with a bigger group. I think it’s great you’re getting out there so often. 

• Like 6

School stuff ended up taking longer than I had anticipate/hoped yesterday, so  I didn't get out for a walk until almost 10:00pm. I went out with the idea that I was not going to worry about making my step goal, just getting it at least above 10,000, but I was listening to a good audiobook and the weather was nice, so I kept going. 

Last night was bad for sleep, though. My Fitbit credits me with about 2.5 hours. So, it was a slow morning getting out of bed, and I had to be home in time to open the door for the pest control guy because my husband is working on site today. So, the grand total this morning was not quite 3K of walking followed by about 20 minutes of strength and stretching. 

I'm telling myself I'll make up those steps later, but it's already 12:30 and I have a pile of work to finish before I can be done for the day (and week). And I think the lack of sleep is getting to me, because I'm feeling a little wobbly even just walking around the house. So, we'll see.

My husband and and do plan to get out to a couple of Halloween events this weekend that will involve a little bit of walking. I may see if I can extend one or both of those to sneak in some extra make-up steps.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 6165 of 650K
Walking Streak: 14

• Like 7

Husband has Covid - he got off the plane from the US on Tuesday - so I've been thinking today about what I need to do in case I go under too.  I sorted out work and gave notes to a colleague. I've made and defrosted soups, and I'll cook some chicken for easy leftovers.  We have a good amount of OTC meds.

Tomorrow I will try to get as much work as I can done on my next essay.

Brisk walk at lunchtime and I'll use some weights shortly.  Tomorrow it will just be walks, some yoga and lots of studying. 

• Sad 7

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Husband has Covid - he got off the plane from the US on Tuesday - so I've been thinking today about what I need to do in case I go under too.  I sorted out work and gave notes to a colleague. I've made and defrosted soups, and I'll cook some chicken for easy leftovers.  We have a good amount of OTC meds.

Brisk walk at lunchtime and I'll use some weights shortly.  Tomorrow it will just be walks, some yoga and lots of studying. 

So sorry your dh has Covid. I hope he isn't hit too hard. Hope you don't get it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Soror said:

I've said ---

Well I'm still working on step 1 and 2 quite often, especially when playing skilled players! Those basics are always needed, and without them there is not much play going on for anyone.

Sounds like you are progressing really well! Keep working at it. From my experience, step 3 - hitting a variety of different shots, is quite advanced. There are so many spins that can be put on the ball, that this step can take years to really broaden one's 'tool box' of shots. Just have fun and be patient and realistic with yourself. 

I like watching the shots more skilled players make and see if I can do any of them myself sometimes. I'm not that keen on trying lots of spin shots, though, and I don't have the patience to repeat them until I'm proficient. That's where youth have the big advantage - they tend to be more eager to keep repeting shots, making mistakes, and then having more success.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

Well I'm still working on step 1 and 2 quite often, especially when playing skilled players! Those basics are always needed, and without them there is not much play going on for anyone.

Sounds like you are progressing really well! Keep working at it. From my experience, step 3 - hitting a variety of different shots, is quite advanced. There are so many spins that can be put on the ball, that this step can take years to really broaden one's 'tool box' of shots. Just have fun and be patient and realistic with yourself. 

I like watching the shots more skilled players make and see if I can do any of them myself sometimes. I'm not that keen on trying lots of spin shots, though, and I don't have the patience to repeat them until I'm proficient. That's where youth have the big advantage - they tend to be more eager to keep repeting shots, making mistakes, and then having more success.

LOL, yes still working on 1 and 2 as well. I'm not even trying for spin shots that would be way past my skill level. I'm just hoping to stop lobbing it up so much. I hit it too high. I've noticed other players, even newer than myself can get a lot harder shots. If I hit it hard I pop it up knocking it out of bounds. I'm not a risk taker so I think that's part of it. I've made plenty of other mistakes I've not had the nerve to try different shots. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Fabulous workout with the PT today. I got there early enough to run on the elliptical first, and she also bumped up the weights and various other work I am doing. When we were done she told me she appreciates how hard I push myself. Those words were really nice to hear. 

Aw, that is nice, good job you!

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it's an easy case for him and you miss it. My parents and brother's family just had it go through them. They felt pretty miserable for a couple of days but recovered pretty well after that (and none of them had any vaccines).

17 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

School stuff ended up taking longer than I had anticipate/hoped yesterday, so  I didn't get out for a walk until almost 10:00pm. I went out with the idea that I was not going to worry about making my step goal, just getting it at least above 10,000, but I was listening to a good audiobook and the weather was nice, so I kept going. 

Last night was bad for sleep, though. My Fitbit credits me with about 2.5 hours. So, it was a slow morning getting out of bed, and I had to be home in time to open the door for the pest control guy because my husband is working on site today. So, the grand total this morning was not quite 3K of walking followed by about 20 minutes of strength and stretching. 

I'm telling myself I'll make up those steps later, but it's already 12:30 and I have a pile of work to finish before I can be done for the day (and week). And I think the lack of sleep is getting to me, because I'm feeling a little wobbly even just walking around the house. So, we'll see.

My husband and and do plan to get out to a couple of Halloween events this weekend that will involve a little bit of walking. I may see if I can extend one or both of those to sneak in some extra make-up steps.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 6165 of 650K
Walking Streak: 14

Have fun at your Halloween festivities! Did you mention are you dressing up?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Soror said:

Have fun at your Halloween festivities! Did you mention are you dressing up?

Thanks.

Not dressing up for these. We did do "costumes" for a party last weekend, but they were pretty subtle and nerdy and unlikely to even get noticed in a larger, more impersonal setting. 

My husband does have a large supply of spooky-appropriate t-shirts that he puts in daily rotation at the beginning of October, so he is always seasonally attired.

• Like 5

We didn't do anything strenuous last night, but walking the pumpkin trail and wandering downtown was enough to garner me a decent number of steps. When we got home, I went back out for a short walk (about 2K) to finish off my goal.

Started this morning with a quick jaunt around the neighborhood to complete my "Spooky Sprint" 2K badge. I am pleased by my pace (about 9:48/K), because I've been having a lot of trouble getting back under 10 minutes/kilometer in the last few months. This was a short one, but I hope it bodes well for the 10K I have coming up next week.

I continued past the 2K mark, just because I had time before leaving for yoga. Then, of course, I walked the 1K each way to and from the class location, putting me at a little over 5K total for the morning (plus 30 minutes of yoga). 

The current seasonal challenge runs through Monday night, and I have about 25K to go, so I do need to make sure I walk/ride the stationary bike enough this weekend. 

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 625.9 of 650K
Walking Streak: 15

Screenshot 2022-10-29 120205.jpg

• Like 5

Clearly I'm trying to compensate this weekend lol. I just did a HIIT video. That completed Phase 2 of the program. I'll start Phase 3 Monday hopefully. 

I am babysitting tonight and parents confirmed that the kids will ToT on Monday night so we will just stay home. I know I will be going stir crazy so wanted to get some steps/exercise in earlier today. 

I had hoped to grocery shop when I was in the city this evening (I'm out of chicken) but I don't think any of the stores have returned to 24 hrs and the parents won't be home til around midnight. Guess I'll restock chicken next week when I have to go to the office. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I took the dogs for two long walks in the woods, am with dh and pm with dd. The weather is sunny and warm for the season. Otherwise, I don't have much energy to do anything else. I'm not sure if it's allergies or the on-going arm pain that is sucking out my energy. 

Two long walks definitely counts. I hope you're not coming down with anything. Perhaps take some echinacea and some vitamin C and focus on getting rest (said in my sincerest sympathetic mom voice).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

I took the dogs for two long walks in the woods, am with dh and pm with dd. The weather is sunny and warm for the season. Otherwise, I don't have much energy to do anything else. I'm not sure if it's allergies or the on-going arm pain that is sucking out my energy. 

@wintermom I can't  remember  - I'm sorry, that period of sleep deprivation has made things hazy - did you have Covid a while back?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom I can't  remember  - I'm sorry, that period of sleep deprivation has made things hazy - did you have Covid a while back?

I had COVID back in Dec. I've tested recently and don't have it now, though I may test again just to be sure. It's pretty typical for me with allergies this time of year to be less energetic.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I had COVID back in Dec. I've tested recently and don't have it now, though I may test again just to be sure. It's pretty typical for me with allergies this time of year to be less energetic.

I was wondering about Long Covid,  but that would be a big gap since your infection. 

• Like 2

We went back downtown to experience some more Halloween last night. I enjoy seeing young ones running around having a good time, and by the time we made it there on Friday, many of the younger kiddos had already headed home. So, my husband indulged me by taking me back and encouraging me to wander around and soak up the kid energy for as long as I wanted. The weather was lovely, and there was live music. They were slow steps, but it did net us some steps. When we go home, I went out for another short (about 2K) walk, which put me slightly over my goal.

Kind of a slow start this morning, but I nudged myself out and walked about 4.6K. It's my day off from other exercise, so other than some walking and/or stationary biking later in the day, that'll be it.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 632.3 of 650K
Walking Streak: 16

• Like 5

Rode stationary bike 40 min. 
Halloween dress doesn’t fit great but that’s ok. I’ll just wear a Halloween shirt & jeans tomorrow to the Halloween class party. 

Frozen vegetable prices are crazy in my local grocery store, the local DG Market has half their freezer section roped off (broken?) and no access to the veggies, and the local Family Dollar no longer carries them for some reason?? So I bought a bag of fresh carrots and called it a day. I boiled some. The fresh broccoli was also outrageous. A small crown was $4. Eating healthy has been a bit difficult. Bought some canned chicken so I don’t eat even more fish (due to mercury) and can make chicken salad if I need to. 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2022 at 6:39 PM, wintermom said:

I vote for allergies and also maybe some pushback from your body for pushing it so hard this summer.

I know I'm not at my usual energy level either. I have more energy than the last 2 falls but that is a very low bar (last fall I had to stop the workout program I'm on at week 3 it was too much for me at the time). This year I did well until the last few weeks. I've really been phoning it in on my workouts. If I wasn't nearly finished with the program I'm on I'd switched to something much shorter. My HIIT is especially half ass. I'm heavily modifying- half of my last HIIT I just marched in place. Pickleball isn't high intensity at all so it's fine. I don't know how much is allergy fatigue or how much is fatigue from the insomnia. I'm just hoping when everything dies I'll pep back up. It is not helping that I've had so much time outside, much more than I have in many years.

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just tested positive for Covid. I'll take the dog for a very distanced one mile and that's it. I'm not feeling bad but will be very careful. 

I'm sorry Laura. I have it is an easy go of it for you.

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Rode stationary bike 40 min. 
Halloween dress doesn’t fit great but that’s ok. I’ll just wear a Halloween shirt & jeans tomorrow to the Halloween class party. 

Frozen vegetable prices are crazy in my local grocery store, the local DG Market has half their freezer section roped off (broken?) and no access to the veggies, and the local Family Dollar no longer carries them for some reason?? So I bought a bag of fresh carrots and called it a day. I boiled some. The fresh broccoli was also outrageous. A small crown was $4. Eating healthy has been a bit difficult. Bought some canned chicken so I don’t eat even more fish (due to mercury) and can make chicken salad if I need to. 

Yes, all groceries are up. It makes it hard to stick a budget

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

We went back downtown to experience some more Halloween last night. I enjoy seeing young ones running around having a good time, and by the time we made it there on Friday, many of the younger kiddos had already headed home. So, my husband indulged me by taking me back and encouraging me to wander around and soak up the kid energy for as long as I wanted. The weather was lovely, and there was live music. They were slow steps, but it did net us some steps. When we go home, I went out for another short (about 2K) walk, which put me slightly over my goal.

Kind of a slow start this morning, but I nudged myself out and walked about 4.6K. It's my day off from other exercise, so other than some walking and/or stationary biking later in the day, that'll be it.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 632.3 of 650K
Walking Streak: 16

Awww, kids get so into it but as a Mom I'm done. Why do we have so many different days of stuff? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had our night at the coast. It was like living in a cloud--foggy, misty, sometimes rainy. Not great for pictures but it was nice enjoying some places that are way too crowded on the nice days. Got a walk in with dd before we left, a very gray nature trail walk with dh and ddog that led to the gray, cloudy beach, and then yesterday another walk with dd with a little bit of sun. And that's more than I usually do on a Sunday! I'll do a walking workout video this morning.

@Laura CorinHope your case is mild. Sleep a lot and take it easy.

IMG_0522.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I vote for allergies and also maybe some pushback from your body for pushing it so hard this summer.

I know I'm not at my usual energy level either. I have more energy than the last 2 falls but that is a very low bar (last fall I had to stop the workout program I'm on at week 3 it was too much for me at the time). This year I did well until the last few weeks. I've really been phoning it in on my workouts. If I wasn't nearly finished with the program I'm on I'd switched to something much shorter. My HIIT is especially half ass. I'm heavily modifying- half of my last HIIT I just marched in place. Pickleball isn't high intensity at all so it's fine. I don't know how much is allergy fatigue or how much is fatigue from the insomnia. I'm just hoping when everything dies I'll pep back up. It is not helping that I've had so much time outside, much more than I have in many years.

I think it's allergies and overdoing it July and August as well. They were 2 amazing months, though! I should have taken September off to rest and recover. Oh well, next year I'll plan for that. 

Sorry you are suffering with allergies as well. Hope your sleep and energy improve once the allergens are done. 

• Like 4

I'm scheduled to play ladies double tennis this afternoon. It's the first time in 3 weeks, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also playing Thursday and Saturday, so I hope I've spread out the activity with enough recovery time in between.

Dog walks in the woods will also be happening. It looks like another beautiful fall day!

• Like 6

I looked at my walking challenge tracker yesterday, did  a little math and realized that I was going to have to do a little extra to make that goal I revised upward a couple of weeks ago. So, I hit the stationary bike for about 30 minutes (9K) in the afternoon. 

My husband and I then walked to and from the neighborhood Fall Festival last night, taking a little detour on the way home to go past a couple of the houses that have particularly fun Halloween decorations, which was enough to bump me over my daily step goal.

It was another tough-to-get-out-of-bed day, so I got a slightly late start but walked just barely 4K. Back home, I spent about 25 minutes on the mat doing strength and stretching stuff. 

I need about 2.5K to finish off my challenge by the end of the day. (Tomorrow starts a new season.)

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 647.7 of 650K
Walking Streak: 17

• Like 6